Personal DPS inaccurate in Recount.

So, recently (seems just a little before 4.3 dropped) My recount started to act up quite a bit.
    Its reading my actual DPS to be much much lower than it should.

(I'm Feuerbrand, a Demonology Warlock.)

This is over a 253 second fight, the dps should read something like 26k.
    doing 6.6 million damage over 253 seconds shouldn't give out 18k dps.
    The weird thing is, even when i'm bursting with DG and Meta up Its still a slow climb.
    I'll be top damage the whole time, while it reading a measly 8k dps. then slowly (very slowly) go from 8k up to whatever it wants to tell me i'm doing at the end of the fight.

The final kicker is, if anyone links the DPS it reads i'm doing the proper amount of dps (well, it said 27.7, so a little higher than I calculated, but thats due to the stop time during Alizibel's bladestorm i'm sure)...
    So has anyone else experienced this and if so, how can I remedy it? its just a little annoying when working on progression and I can't even accurately asses my dps without running a live log (which I dislike doing).

I appreciate any assistance.

maybe a session split bug, who knows

Meaning I should reset recount before each fight?

You could also try Skada out. I havent had any problems with that since i changed in Cata. Or you could try resetting recount before every fight.

Sounds like an odd bug. Maybe uninstall it completely (deleting SavedVariables files) and reinstall it?

Also do you have Merge Pets /w Owners checked on the bottom left of the Config Recount window?
    Last edited by lawomous; 2011-12-14 at 12:04 AM.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Isnt your pet calculated separately in that window?

edit: beaten

Something similar happened to me also. Disapeared after lastest update.

I do have merge pets active. And I dislike Skada (its inacurate on a lot of fights due to how it gathers data.)
    I'll try a full fresh install and see if it persists.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Remember to clear the Recount files in the WTF folders for a "full fresh install".

Quote Originally Posted by Satheling View Post
    I do have merge pets active. And I dislike Skada (its inacurate on a lot of fights due to how it gathers data.)
    I'll try a full fresh install and see if it persists.
    Skada is just as accurate, just a differing measure.
    Nobody has come up with an agreed upon measure.
    Recount is typically seen as correct because its the one which was used first.
    Use the measure which is useful to you personally, but never try to compare oranges to apples.

Since every fight in the game has a burn period and a "stop dpsing and avoid this period" I don't feel Skada is accurate, since it counts in the wasted seconds where you do absolutely nothing due to blizzard encounter design. Skada would of been nice in Vanilla when all I had to do was sit in a spot and spam my decurse as a druid. since they're more involved now, its really hard to tell its accurate simply due to the down times.

I digress. This isn't a Skada Vs. Recount debate.

I tried a fresh install (completely removed all files associated with recount in my folders) and it still seems to be buggy. and its only on the DPS I view, mind you. its accurate to other people

Since every fight in the game has a burn period and a "stop dpsing and avoid this period" I don't feel Skada is accurate, since it counts in the wasted seconds where you do absolutely nothing due to blizzard encounter design.
    oh, you mean since it actually counts effective dps instead of letting "time you're not damaging" not count against you. okay then...

Recount's DPS calculation is wrong however you look at it. Damage Done is the figure you're after.

If I blow all CDs, then stop all attacks after 30 seconds, my DPS is through the roof but DD will be appalling. Idiots misuse the information it gives and state nonsense like "Your damage is higher, but my dps is higher". Who cares that your DPS is higher? That means you have no idea how to move, or spent chunks of the fight doing nothing. Go you.

Thats why you look at Recount's activity log and then also run a real parse from WoL.

I specifically asked not to turn this into a recount vs skada post though.

I've noticed some odd things recently in recount but blew them off.

With your situation, the only thing I can think of is it's merging pet damage with yours but not recalculating the DPS. Mainly because as a demo warlock, the pet does do like 6-8k DPS.

Which encounter was that screenshot of?

Deleted
    I didnt read much of the thread but perhaps your pet is not being logged in recount? cause i had that bug for a while same as a couple of guildies and got shit for low dps when my pet wasnt shown, so i just enabled it and now its "good" dps again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats why you look at Recount's activity log and then also run a real parse from WoL.

I specifically asked not to turn this into a recount vs skada post though.
    Well do not specifically state how bad Skada is, then ask not to debate it. That's like saying I how bad X religions is, but let's not talk about that. It's obviously going to a fuel a debate, you'd be better off removing or editing that comment.

Secondly, I think you have Merge pet damage, but you also have display pet dmg on. There's two different things. The first shows all dmg done under you, the second will show your DPS as you, and your pets as your pets. The old Recount paired them, but I think the newer vesion have two different options.
    Haste Breakpoint Calculator! -------- CTC Calculator!

Sig by Elyaan | My Work | Que: 3 | PMs: OPEN

Deleted
    Alright folks, Recount and Skada, they do it differently, neither one is right, each one has its ups and downs. Leave it at that.

Back on topic, please.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    This post shows 8 ways of figuring DPS in a fight. Recount uses one, Skada uses a different one. Which one of those 8 is "right" is very personal. This is why Recount vs. Skada is as useful as apples vs. oranges.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    have you resummoned your pet?
    i remember about some bugs in TBC with hunters and pets (my main is hunter so dunno if was for locks also) not merging well

or maybe just an error in DPS calculation, delete your savedvariables recount file and update the addon