Using Smite to heal

I was wondering during a raid, do I keep casting smite thoughout the fight or do I just get 5 stacks and only smite when people are taking dmg or to keep the 5 stacks up? Seems like if I cast smite thoughout the fight I may go oom faster, not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kav View Post
    I was wondering during a raid, do I keep casting smite thoughout the fight or do I just get 5 stacks and only smite when people are taking dmg or to keep the 5 stacks up? Seems like if I cast smite thoughout the fight I may go oom faster, not sure though.
    Don't just smite, use holy fire aswell.
    OT: i'd say use the 5 stacks whenever possible for mana + more healing output.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Deleted
    use smite/HF instead of your "heal" spell, in phases of comparably low damage. once a big AoE knocks your group about, pop AA for the mana return and increased healing output.

Deleted
    I use HF/smite whenever there is a low dmg phase and use Holy fire pretty much on cooldown regardless to keep stacks up so Archangel is ready when i need it.

Holy Fire actually has very good HPS and HPM, and smite, especially with the HF glyph and evangelism stacks is not bad at all either.

Deleted
    Holy fire/smite when the other healers can carry you. Real heals when they can't.

Deleted
    Im smiting when ever i can and mana allows me, if theres a fight where its not really suited to smite much like Ultraxion (2healing) i use HF on cooldown cept for the start i use PI + Smite till 5 stacks. On ultraxion I smite/hf my ass off during Hero right at the start till the first hour of twilight, after that i smite with PI than i just smite when i can but always do HF on CD to keep ur stacks and pop AA on CD cept if its just before a Hour of twilight ofc.

AA Buff is very nice to have on those AoE phases.

(...) and only smite when people are taking dmg (...)
    why not using healing spell (pom, poh, gheal, fheal, penance, shield) when people are taking damage :<

Quote Originally Posted by babylon View Post
    why not using healing spell (pom, poh, gheal, fheal, penance, shield) when people are taking damage :<
    Already know about those spells and when to use them, was just trying to get some info on "smite healing". Thank you everyone for your input.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrHans View Post
    Im smiting when ever i can and mana allows me, if theres a fight where its not really suited to smite much like Ultraxion (2healing) i use HF on cooldown cept for the start i use PI + Smite till 5 stacks. On ultraxion I smite/hf my ass off during Hero right at the start till the first hour of twilight, after that i smite with PI than i just smite when i can but always do HF on CD to keep ur stacks and pop AA on CD cept if its just before a Hour of twilight ofc.

AA Buff is very nice to have on those AoE phases.
    You shouldn't combine smite and PI.

Deleted
    My issues with atonement healing is the fact that it ignores the majority of the talents that assist us as healers i.e grace, inspiration, renewed hope, weakened soul, strength of soul, it has no affect on those talents and gains no benefit from them so by using smites and holy fires to heal you are making it harder on your self when the time does come to switch over into direct healing mode.

Like for example single target tank healing with atonement will only heal random people maybe not even the tank and will stick a DA on them if it crits and that's it.

But casting heals on a tank makes sure the tank always has 3 stacks of grace, guaranteed DA on the tank when it crits, inspiration should nearly always be up, renewed hopes 10% crit will always be active as long as either grace or weakened soul are on them and you recently cast a shield and you can shield more often due to the fact heal removes weakened soul.

To me atonement and the way AA works in general feel like blizzard just tacked it on without really thinking about how it interacts with the rest of our talents and the fact that it requires 5 talent points to fully activate is a joke.

In terms of how to best use AA/A spec it would be most likely to drop atonement healing from the build and your mindset and use smites / HF to build stacks for AA and smites to reduce the cooldown of penance if you have the talent train of thought.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Holy fire/smite when the other healers can carry you. Real heals when they can't.
    i lol'd

fail troll is fail

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    You shouldn't combine smite and PI.
    At start i dont need the PI for the mana reduction, when i do need a CD im using Barrier first so i can use it twice by the time i Need PI its off CD.

When i smite my atonement heals goes to the Tank the majority of the time, if ur AA/A specced u dont have to smite 24/7, HF to keep ur stacks is good enough its fast cast and once 8 sec u can easly do it. Penance is there for keeping Grace up. I have no issues with losing Grace.

example: Morchok deals more damage to the players closest to him, Smite will hits the tanks for sure unless ur dps position them selfs to close. Oozes u can smite them down getting stacks and pop wings when the oozes reaches Yor'sahj that phase takes 30 sec so next Ooze spawn u can smite again, u are mainly aoe healing when the oozes hits the boss so u wont be using penace much but the 15% buff sure is usefull, if there's a blue Ooze u pop ur wings after u lost all ur mana and pre-shield the tank. Its a nice mana boost right there.

There's much use for AA/A imo but AA/A or SoS is just a preference of how u want to play, u either like it or not.
    My offspec Holy has AA (no atonement ofc) i just use HF on CD as i dont feel the need for Darkness talents with all that haste on gear lately.
    Last edited by mmoc3c8522fde4; 2011-12-14 at 02:17 PM.

Smite isn't very good, holy fire is. So, as a rule, always cast HF, until damage gets too big and you can't afford the HPS loss - at this point you pop wings and go crazy with real heals. Only cast smite if there's nothing else worthwhile to do and you need to maintain evangelism.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    My issues with atonement healing is the fact that it ignores the majority of the talents that assist us as healers i.e grace, inspiration, renewed hope, weakened soul, strength of soul, it has no affect on those talents and gains no benefit from them so by using smites and holy fires to heal you are making it harder on your self when the time does come to switch over into direct healing mode.

Like for example single target tank healing with atonement will only heal random people maybe not even the tank and will stick a DA on them if it crits and that's it.

But casting heals on a tank makes sure the tank always has 3 stacks of grace, guaranteed DA on the tank when it crits, inspiration should nearly always be up, renewed hopes 10% crit will always be active as long as either grace or weakened soul are on them and you recently cast a shield and you can shield more often due to the fact heal removes weakened soul.

To me atonement and the way AA works in general feel like blizzard just tacked it on without really thinking about how it interacts with the rest of our talents and the fact that it requires 5 talent points to fully activate is a joke.

In terms of how to best use AA/A spec it would be most likely to drop atonement healing from the build and your mindset and use smites / HF to build stacks for AA and smites to reduce the cooldown of penance if you have the talent train of thought.
    Penance on cooldown keeps grace and Inspiration on the Tank. In low damage times you can easily just Shield -> Penance Tank -> HF -> Smite until Weaken Soul is gone. Smite is just a Smart heal that casts faster. You are trading in the SoS for a faster smart heal.

Atonement is a great spec that can not only keep up with other healers, but also provides on average 5k DPS throughout the fight. Best damn spec in the game IMO.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    it's situational.. remember with a 5 stack of evangelism your smite will do 20% more damage and cost 20% less.. so if you're in a situation where atonement is keeping health pools comfortable just keep on smiting!

save your archangel for when you need to start healing.. as when you pop it you get 5% of your mana back and a 15% boost to healing

for the most part if you have over 120k raid buffed mana you should never run into mana issues as a result of atonement healing..

I'm running about 2150 spirit and right around 134k mana raid buffed (without flask or food) and don't have mana problems at all
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrHans View Post
    At start i dont need the PI for the mana reduction, when i do need a CD im using Barrier first so i can use it twice by the time i Need PI its off CD.

When i smite my atonement heals goes to the Tank the majority of the time, if ur AA/A specced u dont have to smite 24/7, HF to keep ur stacks is good enough its fast cast and once 8 sec u can easly do it. Penance is there for keeping Grace up. I have no issues with losing Grace.

example: Morchok deals more damage to the players closest to him, Smite will hits the tanks for sure unless ur dps position them selfs to close. Oozes u can smite them down getting stacks and pop wings when the oozes reaches Yor'sahj that phase takes 30 sec so next Ooze spawn u can smite again, u are mainly aoe healing when the oozes hits the boss so u wont be using penace much but the 15% buff sure is usefull, if there's a blue Ooze u pop ur wings after u lost all ur mana and pre-shield the tank. Its a nice mana boost right there.

There's much use for AA/A imo but AA/A or SoS is just a preference of how u want to play, u either like it or not.
    My offspec Holy has AA (no atonement ofc) i just use HF on CD as i dont feel the need for Darkness talents with all that haste on gear lately.
    I think you missed the point. If you're not using PI for the mana reduction thing and the dmg is so low that you can smite, you should give it to someone who does more dmg. You smiting for 12-15k is nothing in comparison with a firemage using fireball for double as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrkur View Post
    Penance on cooldown keeps grace and Inspiration on the Tank. In low damage times you can easily just Shield -> Penance Tank -> HF -> Smite until Weaken Soul is gone. Smite is just a Smart heal that casts faster. You are trading in the SoS for a faster smart heal.

Atonement is a great spec that can not only keep up with other healers, but also provides on average 5k DPS throughout the fight. Best damn spec in the game IMO.
    I couldn't agree with you more. Plus, those wings are purdyyyy

Deleted
    True, due to lacking casters in our group i tend to ignore that fact so end up casting it on meself.
    (we only got 1 lock atm not raiding everytime but as much as possible and a mage thats inactive for few more weeks)