I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

THIS is what I would like to see.

James Ohlen did a interview with Gamespy yesterday and touched on something I think a lot of people griped about in the past...space combat.

James Ohlen: Well, we knew over a year ago that we weren't going to win over the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter fans with our space combat, but it has been improving significantly with each iteration that we've been doing. But we do know that we have a lot of people who want more of a free-form space game. I can't go into details, but I can say that we do have multiple teams working on new features for the game, and one of those teams is working on a secret space project. After all, Star Wars is called Star Wars, and space is a huge part of it. Things like the fights over the Death Star and the Millennium Falcon's race through the asteroid field resonate with a lot of players, and they want to be able to experience them. -Source

One of the many, many cool things about Star Wars is that there have been plenty of video games before TOR. Some were good, some were bad. For me, when someone mentions Star Wars space battles [in video games] the first thing that pops in my head is this:

While the graphics were obviously lacking the gameplay was a lot of fun and the replay value was fairly high. Space battles weren't just flying around in a ship, but battles could also be won by boarding the enemy ship and taking out resources. Could you imagine doing a warzone (with updated graphics and all) where you could transport fellow players to board a ship or whittle down resources by destroying nodes on the exterior of the enemy ship?

Balance might be harder to achieve since you wouldn't want boarding party zergs to completely replace space combat, but I am sure something could get worked out. Maybe having a completely different set of on-ship objectives would be the key instead of just grenading a simple to access bridge.

I think it would make for a lot of fun if Bioware took a page from Battlefront II for the future of TOR's space combat.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2011-12-14 at 10:19 AM.

I think the current space battles are quite entertaining so I'm all for expanding that idea.
    A star for BioWare.

The Space missions in Battlefront 2 were my favorite. I think one of the best updates for Space Combat would be multiplayer elements. I think a Star Fox-esque battle system would be really enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account
    The space battles in battlefront where great but instead of the nodes on outside they could be weapons aka so they dont damage your ship or eventually destroy it .
    it would get a balance between space and zerging if all you got for taking the bridge etc was a spawn point or some resources but in the meantime your cruiser outside has been turned into a space trash can by the current ships weapon systems or your engines are gone so havent the range to fire as it whittles you to bits .

I didnt experiance the space combat in swtor during the beta but am looknig forward to it when i do try it .
    Faith Manages

Deleted
    There used to be a Star Wars mod for Battlefield 1942 that probably inspired Battlefront.

It had some pretty epic battles including Space Battles that were pretty awesome (with a little imagination) and on a much larger scale than what Battlefront had to offer.

I wouldn't mind Bioware shopping around for a few ideas.

Deleted
    I am actually having much Fun playing the Space Missions...some will only see them as an annoying Minigame, but I think it is pretty addictive...and I mean FINAL FANTASY X BLITZBALL addictive.

Deleted
    Yeah the space bit is lackluster for me personally at the moment, but for some of my friends its fine they love the simplicity of it and the star wars feel they get in small bitesize junks, i however want a fully realised X wing type game, i would realyl love for them to get TOR to having the solid ground storyline based game it has, the small arcadey missions and a really more indepth space part. that'd cater to lot of groups of gamers.

And i was really encouraged by this secret project line, well that AND guild capital ships.

Battlefront 2 was kicking rad.

I don't mind what they do with space... it was a huge part of SWG and I never really bothered with it in that and I doubt I will in SWTOR and I also presume I'm not a one off :O

Either way, Battlefront 2 was the shiz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dear Lord, BF2........that game was so amazing, some of the best space combat I ever had. Something about boarding an enemies ship was just awesome.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

Deleted
    I deffeintly think that is a great idea to implement that into warzons or soemthing. Assualt the ship or soemthing? Dunno, but defenders could have mini gun ships and attackers could also have the same with troop carriers. Best of both worlds perhaps, once aboard rolls into more of pvp we know. I do feel though vehicles could play a bigger part on PvP in MMO's. I found most MMO's dont really get it right if they tried to implement vehicles into warzones etc. I think it can be quitwe a challenging thing but cool if it works.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! I have had the same idea for a long time, and imagine the pvp scenarios that you can take from it also. I hear people bitch and moan that you cant explore space like you could in swg, but really? space was the most boring part of swg, the battles sucked, it was so "large" that you could never find anyone, and after a while there is nothing to explore. its your just sitting out there. The space missions in swtor are fun as hell so I hope we get some missions or PVP zones like SWBF2.