Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

PepsiCo Admits To Adding Chemical Flame Retardant to Mountain Dew.

Brominated vegetable oil is patented as a flame retardant and it's banned in food all over Europe and Japan, but it's on the ingredient list of about 10 percent of sodas in the U.S. It's not in Coca-Cola, but is in Mountain Dew, Fanta Orange, and in some flavors of Powerade and Gatorade.

http://www.treehugger.com/health/fla...oft-drink.html

Seriously, you guys that drink this stuff by the case should seriously reconsider it, for the sake of your health

Cool story.
    What in the world DOESN'T kill you these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Cool story.
    What in the world DOESN'T kill you these days?
    Drinks that aren't packed with flame retardant probably kill you a little slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahrastafari View Post
    Drinks that aren't packed with flame retardant probably kill you a little slower.
    Atleast we don't spontaniously burst on fire, or is it the other way around?

Other studies suggest that BVO could be building up in human tissues, just like other brominated compounds such as flame retardants
    Does this mean that I CAN stand in fire? SWEET!

I'm fairly certain that PBDE's are found pretty much everywhere in certain levels especially butter/ butter wrapping and meat. So you better stop eating and drinking everything.

Bromine also occurs naturally and can be found in common table salt.

This is just another scare tactic

PepsiCo also puts a mild laxative in Dasani water (Magnesium Sulfate). Not really sure what purpose any of these additives have.

I still say drinking this stuff is a fast-track to colo-rectal cancer.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always liked coke better and I didn't know why. Now I do. :P

Clearly they're looking out for their consumer base. People that prefer pepsi are prone to standing in fire I'd assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Mowgles View Post
    PepsiCo also puts a mild laxative in Dasani water (Magnesium Sulfate). Not really sure what purpose any of these additives have.
    If I had to guess the reason Pepsi is putting laxative in Dasani, I'd say it is to sabotage their rivals! =P (Dasani is owned by Coca-Cola. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasani)

OT: Like others have said, Pepsi is putting flame retardent chemicals into their soft drinks because their consumers are prone to catching themselves on fire! I know when I drink too much Mountain Dew I feel like I can run through flames!

Watch out guys, for dihydrogen monoxide.

All the information I bothered finding about toxicity of the flame retardant claims you need to drink 4-8 liters a day of the soda for it to have any effect. A sensitivity to bromine also helps. I have neither (and don't drink soda), so guess how much care I have.

i don't know. i'm still pretty flaming.

Drink more water.

Drink soda in moderation and you'll be fine; consume anything in gross excess and you'll probably suffer some negative effects. That article wasn't terribly impressive.

Deleted
    "big doses caused reproductive [...] problems"

nothing new there.
    would like to add that this is only a valid concern if you're not from the EU, as it's not on the approved additives list in the EU.
    Last edited by mmoc63f6c1cc20; 2011-12-14 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donax View Post
    Bromine also occurs naturally and can be found in common table salt.

This is just another scare tactic
    Cyanide also occurs naturally and can be found in almonds.

Doesn't mean you ought to eat it. Doesn't mean you ought to be afraid of it, either. Just means you should be aware of it and consider the effects.