10+ Year Old Account

Computer build. Barebones kit. Suggestions and criticism wanted.

I'm about to commit to buying this desktop setup from tigerdirect. It's one of the barebones, so I know there may/maynot be some things I'm missing. The link to what I'm planning on buying can't be posted because I haven't made enough posts, apparently. So if you go to tigerdirects website and copy paste: " GIGABYTE AMD A-Series Barebones Kit " in the search bar, it'll pop right up.

As i looked up the product I wanted to buy, I noticed it said it's not currently available to buy... So, I hope that changes in the next day, because I wanted to get everything before Christmas so I can get help assembling it before I come back to school.
    But, in case that kit doesn't come back, I just now looked at: " GIGABYTE 880GM-USB3 DiabloTek Barebones Kit " (the cheaper one with 1TB of space).
    Any other suggestion that someone would like to make about kits would be nice. (my price range is about $450).

For the first kit, I looked and picked out from " SAPPHIRE 100326L Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card " newegg 's website , to be my graphics card.

The main thing I want to do with this is play WoW moderately well on Ultra (or as close as I can get to ultra), and maybe some other games here and there. I don't plan on streaming or doing any video capture. But, I'd love to play HD movies and stuff from it (and of course web browsing and word processing, etc). Otherwise, it's for gaming.

Can I get some feedback on the kits, the card, and any other suggestions?

(btw, I do have a monitor. And I'll buy a keyboard and hdmi cable after Christmas or something).

(EDIT: Added currency)
    Last edited by Kairijin; 2011-12-14 at 10:19 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    450 what? You need to include your type of currency and location. This is an international forum so you need to specify otherwise I could budget you out a system in 450 chocolate dollars.

10+ Year Old Account
    $450, sorry. And that's without the graphics card. willing to spend up to $250 on that.

Cheap Motherboard and AMD procs are not great IMO

I don't care for AMD as a company or the products they make. I won't buy an ATI/ AMD GPU or an AMD processor. So with that said and out of the way here is what I would suggest.

Intel Core I3 2120
    Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard with a Z68 chipset.
    8GB of cheap but good ram, something like Corsair 9cas memory. (I3 won't benefit from any lower on the CAS really)
    NVidia GTX 560 ti 1GB card (There is your $250 card). It kills all the AMD gpu's in that price range.
    Get an Antec 300 case and a Antec or Corsair 650w PSU (Power Supply).
    Hard Drive, whatever cheap sata 3 you can find, they are all about the same these days

The cpu should come with a cooler, get some good thermal goo (about 9 bucks). You just need a lintel size drop on the middle of the cpu before you put the cooler on.

20 bucks for a DVD / CD/RW

Put the thing together and be done with it. 6 months from now buy an I7 intel CPU for dirt cheap, pop it on the board and "Instant Upgrade" with overclocking capability.

Please not the I3 won't overclock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairijin View Post
    $450, sorry. And that's without the graphics card. willing to spend up to $250 on that.

Quote Originally Posted by ITGuy View Post
    NVidia GTX 560 ti 1GB card (There is your $250 card). It kills all the AMD gpu's in that price range.
    The 6950 would like a word with you...

There's good combos on newegg that you could do as well, and taking out the $250 you set aside for the GPU, make them much cheaper than what you're looking at.
    copy/paste HAF912 FX-6100/GTX 560Ti Gaming SuperCombo into newegg and have a look...would easily do what you need.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||