So I have 1 epic gem from the Dragon Soul raid, but no heroic items....

Would putting into the VP Relic be the best way? I dont care for gold before anyone says to AH it.

The relic is 397 and doesnt look like its going to be getting any upgrades. Am I wrong here? Should I put the gem into the relic or not?

Edit: The gem is Red btw.

Deleted
    If you don't want to sell it, yes, there are no upgrades for the relic. You won't be replacing it.

Honestly, I'd sell the red gem now. You're only looking at a 10-20 DPS increase for the 10 stats you're gaining with it, red gems on my server are selling for as much as 10-12k gold.

As for gemming non-heroic DS gear, I've been buying the cheap secondary color epic gems and socketing my new gear. Mastery gems are cheap. Pretty much only use secondary gems as prot anyways. By the time you get to heroics the gem prices will have dropped enough to be affordable.
    Last edited by arden714; 2011-12-14 at 08:13 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sell it, and buy several gems later on when you have gear you'll want to put it in.

10+ Year Old Account
    put it in relic or vp back piece which also has no heroic upgrade and has a red socket
    I used to like WoW. I still do, but I used to, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by urban dictionary
    Terms such as "baddie" do nothing to help remove the socially-inept, tone-deaf loser stigma stuck on gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    Does it matter? PvP matters as much as pet battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pliers View Post
    Sell it, and buy several gems later on when you have gear you'll want to put it in.
    And how can you guarantee that the prices will go down? !_!

Deleted
    because they always do, they always do

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    History repeats itself.

Amazing sig compliments of Alyajna!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Prices always go down. That is just how the market works. Supply and demand

id say it depends how serious about progression your guild is.. if they aren't then sell it if they are serious about it i wouldnt sell something like that

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Basic Economics.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ap0calypse View Post
    Would putting into the VP Relic be the best way? I dont care for gold before anyone says to AH it.

The relic is 397 and doesnt look like its going to be getting any upgrades. Am I wrong here? Should I put the gem into the relic or not?

Edit: The gem is Red btw.
    Relic or Cloak obviously depending on the spec you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Pliers View Post
    Basic Economics.
    And there I thought prices usually go up.

But the things that make me wonder are:
    Will the demand go up or down? - I'd say it goes up, because people aren't willing to gem their non-heroic gear and there's a shitload of red slots in t13 gear.
    Will the availability go up? - I'd say only slightly because apparently drop rates aren't higher in heroic raids and most raids are already killing Deathwing normal.
    => I guess prices may even go up or at the very least not go down for a few months.

Aren't epic gems guarenteed in the heroic version of the Mote of Darkness? They were on the PTR if I recall.

If you don't care to sell it, I'd give it to one of the healers. The raid as a whole would probably benefit more if a healer got it rather than a dps for an extra 10 str.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Aren't epic gems guarenteed in the heroic version of the Mote of Darkness? They were on the PTR if I recall.
    As far as I can tell the "heroic" version only drops from Madness of Deathwing. (and it looks like you don't even get more regular motes from heroic bosses >_>)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    And there I thought prices usually go up.

But the things that make me wonder are:
    Will the demand go up or down? - I'd say it goes up, because people aren't willing to gem their non-heroic gear and there's a shitload of red slots in t13 gear.
    Will the availability go up? - I'd say only slightly because apparently drop rates aren't higher in heroic raids and most raids are already killing Deathwing normal.
    => I guess prices may even go up or at the very least not go down for a few months.
    Eventually, people will have BiS gear, and gems in that gear.

I also foresee them making gems more easily obtainable in the same patch they nerf the content.

As far as I can tell the "heroic" version only drops from Madness of Deathwing. (and it looks like you don't even get more regular motes from heroic bosses >_>)
    Ew. Well, they could be from Spine, if no one has seen them. As Spine hasn't been downed yet either on heroic.

Prices will go down because madness is guaranteed to drop red/purple/orange gems.

First 14 bosses (7 1 week, 7 the next) gave my 10 man guild 2 or 3 queen's garnets. When we killed madness, we got at least 6 more (WAY more reds than purples or oranges). As other guilds get more, the prices will assuredly drop. On my server they're already 5-7k.