Thread: Beta Length

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    Figured as much >_< Saw someone mention here that they saw an A-Net dev talking about how the GW2 beta phases would not be like the usual ones of todays MMOs, and that each section would only last 1-2 weeks. Was just wondering if anyone else had any validity to put with that.
    I may have been the one that mentioned this. Still looking for the exact quote, not 100% sure they said closed beta would be that short, but what I do remember, is their beta is not going to be an extended demo like other MMO's are, and it was going to be much shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    I may have been the one that mentioned this. Still looking for the exact quote, not 100% sure they said closed beta would be that short, but what I do remember, is their beta is not going to be an extended demo like other MMO's are, and it was going to be much shorter.
    Ah yes. Okay, well that's good enough for me. Thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by Earthshockaz View Post
    What about if we just punt an asura thief into collins office?
    How dare you make fun of my Asura Guardian!

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    How dare you make fun of my Asura Guardian!
    I wasn't making fun of asura in any way. i just thought they'd be better, since they're small... and ninja like.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthshockaz View Post
    I wasn't making fun of asura in any way. i just thought they'd be better, since they're small... and ninja like.
    You shall never punt my beloved Asura! :P

I seem to recall a sentiment being expressed by Anet (someone can go find a quote if they want) to the tune of them acknowledging that "open beta" has become synonymous with "marketing tool", and so by the time it's in "open beta", I think we can expect them to be down to an essentially finished game that just needs to stress-test population numbers, and so I don't expect that phase to last very long at all. Fairly certain that, (based on this line of thinking) as soon as someone that isn't internally invited and officially hushed sees "beta GW2", the only anticipated response will be "OMGITSSOAWESOMERELEASEITNOW!", IE, a marketing tool.

As for "closed beta", under a NDA, I expect them to take their time. Really, though, "closed beta" is "the last phase" of any true length, based on the above perceptions, IMO.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2011-12-15 at 09:19 AM.
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    I seem to recall a sentiment being expressed by Anet (someone can go find a quote if they want) to the tune of them acknowledging that "open beta" has become synonymous with "marketing tool", and so by the time it's in "open beta", I think we can expect them to be down to an essentially finished game that just needs to stress-test population numbers, and so I don't expect that phase to last very long at all. Fairly certain that, (based on this line of thinking) as soon as someone that isn't internally invited and officially hushed sees "beta GW2", the only anticipated response will be "OMGITSSOAWESOMERELEASEITNOW!", IE, a marketing tool.
    I remember reading something like that also.

GW1 didn't have traditional closed beta that you often see on mmos (web form where you sign-up etc), but it pretty much went from private alpha test to public beta weekends sometime end of 2004 and then game was released in April 2005. Pretty much anyone could get into these Beta weekends even these who didn't pre-order and these who did pre-order had guaranteed access to all of these weekends. I guess there will be similar to these monthly beta weekends that GW1 had. Hopefully soon

I suspect a march or april release but then agian thats mostly wild speculation on my part. They have said the open beta will be short and will be followed closely by the launch. The closed beta, well how it goes determines when open beta starts and they have not specified if there will be multiple waves of invites to the community or if it will just be an expanded friends/family tester pool. Still with how good the game has looked at the demos I suspect baring major problems closed beta will only be a couple months with maybe a week or two of open beta as a pre launch demo.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing OB will start in the eve of Spring. So I'm also guessing 2-3 months of CB like everyone else.