Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How are Macbook Pros for gaming?

I want to get a macbook pro for college for the all around performance. My brother has one and I love using his when i get the chance. But i wanted to know how they did with games? I play wow and Battlefield 3 and plan on playing a very large amount of Guild Wars 2 when that comes out and my laptop will be my only computer next year cus I'll more than likely be leaving my desktop at home.

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Mac =/= gaming. They don't go together. All the money you spend on a over priced hunk of junk can buy you something really nice.

I just looked, and 1,200$ for the cheapest one they have, and holy shit are the specs just.. ew. I paided 1,280$ for a GT780DXR barebone. Which has i7 2630, GTX 570m, 8GB 1600mhz memory, 64gb SSD and 750gb 7200rpm HDD, the BEST audio you can get for a laptop, and a 17 inch 1920 x 1080p screen.

For that price on a macbook, you get a i5, 4gb 1333mhz memory, 500gb 5400rpm HDD which is very very slow, and NO graphics card... All that for 1,200$ You can get a laptop for 600$ that will blow that out of the water.
    Last edited by haxs101; 2011-12-15 at 03:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use my macbook pro for wow and skyrim (dual boot ftw) and for work/school. I love how intuitive the mac OS is and it runs wow and skyrim perfectly fine if you don't mind not having the settings on ultra which doesn't phase me. I quite like my mac, and all the mac haters need to get over themselves and accept that macs are perfectly capable computers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochran46 View Post
    I want to get a macbook pro for college for the all around performance. My brother has one and I love using his when i get the chance. But i wanted to know how they did with games? I play wow and Battlefield 3 and plan on playing a very large amount of Guild Wars 2 when that comes out and my laptop will be my only computer next year cus I'll more than likely be leaving my desktop at home.

Thanks!
    There are a large number of microsoft based laptops with the same all around performance for the same price (most likely less), it does require more looking around though. Also for gaming you'll probably have to use windows alot, which will be an extra cost (seeing as you're going to college you probably can get a discount).

Personally I don't see the point in getting a Mac if you're going to be running windows a lot of the time. If you will be needing mac OS for your college (which isn't likely as both OS have similar software and most are cross OS)then go for the Mac, if that's not the case though it would probably be better to go for a windows laptop as they are often cheaper. At the end of the day though most of the reasoning for getting Mac over Windows will boil down to subjective preferences, but for gaming, windows remains supreme.
    Last edited by mmoca9562f3cee; 2011-12-15 at 03:14 AM. Reason: silly mistakes

10+ Year Old Account
    Macs are perfectly capable computers... that cost twice the price they should for what you get. End of story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Citcat View Post
    I use my macbook pro for wow and skyrim (dual boot ftw) and for work/school. I love how intuitive the mac OS is and it runs wow and skyrim perfectly fine if you don't mind not having the settings on ultra which doesn't phase me. I quite like my mac, and all the mac haters need to get over themselves and accept that macs are perfectly capable computers.
    The reason why I don't see why buying a mac over a PC is the price. You can buy something so much better for the price. If you want the cool and flash desktop and OS, then you can do that with a PC, I actually use rainmeter and rocketdock to make mine look like a mac on both on desktop and laptop. I hate seeing people wasting money when they know they can get something extremely better for the price. But if you want that then I won't argue, your lose. I like to see my money get spent well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a mid-2010 macbook pro and while they're not built for gaming, they can run on lower settings pretty well. I've heard the newer MacBooks don't have any graphics cards so that would greatly impact their performance. I get 60 FPS on my macbook pro while in dungeons and raids... running the medium settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Macs are for people who want to be trendy. PCs are for people who actually know what's going on.

User has received an infraction for brand bashing. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-12-15 at 03:58 AM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    If performance per dollar(or euro) ratio is at all a deciding factor, you shouldn't buy a Macbook Pro. Yes, it can run some games but a similarly priced windows laptop will wipe the floor with it when it comes to performance.

I use a mac for the same purpose you are planing to get one for and I must say it works out just fine. I'm a hardcore raider and I never usually have any issues with fps or lag but I will say that playing wireless seems pretty crappy during bgs, dungeons, and raiders but a wired connection (Obviously) with the mac is perfect. Not a hipster by far, I use both pc and macs.
    Last edited by Toroc; 2011-12-15 at 03:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Macs are for people who want to be trendy. PCs are for people who actually know what's going on.
    This, I see all the hipsters at school carrying around macs to look cool. All the people that actually know computers use PCs

User has received an infraction for brand bashing. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-12-15 at 03:59 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marimba View Post
    This, I see all the hipsters at school carrying around macs to look cool. All the people that actually know computers use PCs
    I see you derailing this thread.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Macs ARE PCs which = personal computer.

@OP: I highly suggest an Asus or MSI laptop if you want to do gaming on it, they are much better quality than Apple laptops and they will give you more firepower, essentially. Plus they will be just as good for schoolwork, there's really not much of anything Apple laptops have that will make the $1,000 up-charge worth it for school work.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Macs are good. Yes you can get better for cheaper, but performance isn't everything!! XD

The OS is nice, very intuitive and simple. I enjoy how everything looks on it, and it has a very long battery life. Also since you will be toting it around at college, its pretty lightweight.

The biggest reason I can say to get it, is that it will NOT break down (obviously you can get some that will but most will be really good about it). I've had my mac for 2 1/2 years now, works like new, and the frame is still good (a little dent on the side of the screen and a touch of cracking on the back, but i have dropped it countless times. At least 50-100 times, several from a decent height). My brother has gone through 1 laptop, and his second is already breaking down since the time I've had one (both were similar specs to MBP. So, yeah, they are pretty durable.

All in all, there are other reasons for a mac, even if it doesn't have the best performance.

Edit: you get a discount for Mac laptops being a student, like $100 - $200 off (at least where i live)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Performance isn't everything? You realize almost your entire post is referencing "performance" aspects of the computer, right?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I glanced at the replies and see the same tired old responses from people who have probably never used one, let alone owned one. I use a desktop PC for gaming and there is no question that it is the best platform. It's going to be a lot more powerful for a lot less money than an Apple, nevermind a laptop. I wouldn't recommend buying a Macbook instead of a desktop if anything but art or music are your primary focus, because most games don't work on Apples. That hasn't changed in 15 years and I don't see any reason for it too in the future.

However, to answer your question, I've had a Macbook Pro for two years (in addition to my desktop PC) and it has been and still is great. Apple makes the nicest hardware out there for laptops - the fit and finish are simply unparalleled. and the battery life blows everyone else out of the water. It isn't even close. The Macbook has been a great gaming platform, in so far as the games which can run on it run very well. I also have a dual boot to XP set up and it runs Windows games well - they would run much better if the dual boot was Win7.

If you are set on a laptop, go for it - they are great laptops and you can always install Windows on it.
    Last edited by Gregulator; 2011-12-15 at 03:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you game on a laptop you are wrong. Pay 700 to build a real computer.

Oh yeah, screw Apple when it comes to gaming, they just aren't meant for it I believe... I know a couple people with Mac's and such. They all love em and stuff, but I can't get into them, PC ftw...

I posted this like 5 times already on this forums :P

I have a Mid-2009 13 inch Macbook Pro, raided LK 25 HC on it as a feral druid, playing fine now as well. Macbooks are fine.
    Note, that I wanted a good looking, pleasant to use computer that could run WoW. I didn't buy it to be a gaming machine and I'm happy.

Of course You have to pay more, why shouldn't you if it looks and feels better? Somebody had to design it, somebody has to get paid, the price needs to get higher. If you're ready to pay for this You'll be happy. All I have to say in the everlasting "omg macs are overpriced for trendy jerks" argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, about Macbooks running on lower graphics settings, I run on max settings and don't take any performance hits with my Macbook.