Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    What i hope does not happen is that all dev time focuses on pvp, i dont think will happen, but ive seen alot of people say, gw is about pvp, and not pve and gw2 should be the same, this scares me as personally i dont see my self playing this game for pvp as i prefer moba style games and other rts for that(i feel they do it better, and no matter how good gw2 does it i dont think theyll beat smite in that form of 3rd person pvp).
    GW was about PvP, and GW2 will have a MASSIVE focus on it, however, Arena.NET are the only people who seperate PvP and PvE skills, and balance the game perfectly, so you shouldn't have to worry, if the game is anything like Guild-Wars, it WILL be a PvP game and a damn good one at that!

Raids nah.

Big dungeon like area's where you can go in with about 10-15-20-25 people, like in Urgoz/The Deep?

YES!

I don't think GW2 should have raids unless they going to be linear like it was in burning crusade which creates a epic feel to the instance.

This having 2 raids sizes and 3 different modes for each raid really kills the epicness of raiding which is why raiding guilds in wow are disbanding at a faster rate then ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by rzy View Post
    GW was about PvP, and GW2 will have a MASSIVE focus on it, however, Arena.NET are the only people who seperate PvP and PvE skills, and balance the game perfectly, so you shouldn't have to worry, if the game is anything like Guild-Wars, it WILL be a PvP game and a damn good one at that!
    GW had/has also a fairly good PvE side too.
    3 campaigns -each on a separate continent with numerous zones, lore, creatures etc- + 1 xpac = "massive" amount of PvE if you ask me.

GW2 will probably have about the same balance between both type of content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Raids nah.

Big dungeon like area's where you can go in with about 10-15-20-25 people, like in Urgoz/The Deep?

YES!
    elite missions are about the same thing as raids but the name from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrina View Post
    I don't think GW2 should have raids unless they going to be linear like it was in burning crusade which creates a epic feel to the instance.

This having 2 raids sizes and 3 different modes for each raid really kills the epicness of raiding which is why raiding guilds in wow are disbanding at a faster rate then ever before.
    define linear?
    and explain how linear => epic? i really just can't get it.

and having different raid sizes and modes didn't kill wow raids, what did (among other things) is that bliz gave the same loot tables to every raid size, thus ruining one of the reasons people prefered bigger raids before as compared to pre-cata.
    Last edited by sacrypheyes; 2011-12-30 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    define linear?

and having different raid sizes and modes didn't kill wow raids, what did (among other things) is that bliz gave the same loot tables to every raid size, thus ruining one of the reasons people prefered bigger raids before as compared to pre-cata.
    I think he means that lets say dungeon D is the bees knees, but to go there you first needs to spend 2 months each on grinding dungeon A, B and C. And if you like having alts at all, you will by the time you quit have run dungeon A approximately five thousand times. Doesn't that just scream epic?

The argument for having a linear system essentially boils down to "My playing experiece is ruined by people who are not me can enjoy somewhat similar content"

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    define linear?
    I don't get it either. From what I gather, "linear" questing in MMOs and "linear" playthroughs in single-player rpgs are all generally hated and thought of as "negatives." Not sure why "linear" raids would be welcome, or even epic. IMO, it would be best (if raids were introduced) if all raids were always current and the rewards never became obsolete because in two weeks there will be a new raid out there that rewards better gear.

Linear play isn't a negative in single player RPGs. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Planescape, Radiant Historia, etc- were well received critically and commercially for the most part. All quite linear. One could make the case for The Old Republic also being linear; a very hot MMO right now.

I don't care about linearity personally. Just pointing out such a style of game is not always regarded negatively in a vulgar or academic sense.

I wouldn't mind a certain zone/area that has rotations of elite DE's, so people know "Right we can go to Aldon" (Aldon being completely made up) And know that that area runs elite DE's.

Dunno, was just thinking bout it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    The problem with raiding is developers invariably make it the main focus of their game. You bore yourself crazy leveling, then get to the "end game" hop on the gear treadmill and chase a carrot forever. Since GW2 doesn't have that crutch they're forced to make the entire game entertaining, instead of just wasting your time with tier after tier of more or less the same old shit.

If it's challenging content you want, you'll still have that in 5 man explorable dungeons. To give you some perspective, the devs recently said a full clear, one shotting everything with a fast moving uber pro group should take you about 1 hour. So the average group of friends taking their time and carrying that one baddie friend we all have, you'll be looking at maybe 2 hrs imo. Which to me seems perfect.

People just need to lose their old Wow mindsets.
    I agree with this. Plus, from what I've heard, everything in GW2 will be like a raid anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Azidonis View Post
    I agree with this. Plus, from what I've heard, everything in GW2 will be like a raid anyway.
    I also agree with this, the game is not wow and is not trying to be wow. If you want the game to be like wow then don't play it just stay playing wow because it wont be.

I get the whole "i want a wow clone with same gameplay, story and better graphics" thing.. but GW:2 wont be that game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't see what's keeping people from playing both games to fulfill certain wants/needs in their free time. Playing WoW for $15 a month is pretty damn cheap, stay subscribed and then buy a copy of GW2 to enjoy the game play aspects of both. GW2 does not need to be anything like WoW and vice-versa.

I'll be playing both and not complaining about what one has that the other game needs game.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Should it have raids? No, because the devs don't want them.

There will still be tough things to down...but the majority of raiders nowadays raid to get the gear. To let them raid. It's just a mindless cycle after a while. Sure, you down a boss and the feeling of achievment is awesome.
    But then what do you do? Do it again next week. It's becomes so boring so quickly.

GW2 should have enough dynamic content to keep us interested without raids. The scaling, lack of trinity, greater variation of skills abd DEs themselves etc will all work together to keep things feeling alot fresher than they do in most MMOs.
    Raids have their place, but I've personally reached the point now that I can barely be bothered to do a raid again after I've done it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Linear play isn't a negative in single player RPGs. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Planescape, Radiant Historia, etc- were well received critically and commercially for the most part. All quite linear. One could make the case for The Old Republic also being linear; a very hot MMO right now.

I don't care about linearity personally. Just pointing out such a style of game is not always regarded negatively in a vulgar or academic sense.
    I think you misunderstood what I meant. Of course those games are well received, but read reviews of certain Final Fantasy games, for example, and you'll come across criticisms about the game being "too linear." Some use the word "corridor," referring to the play through being like walking down a single corridor from start to finish. I don't mean that games which are linear are bad or not liked, just that games (as far as I've ever seen) are never praised for being linear and if the linearity is ever brought up, it's in the negative column in a list of pros and cons about the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

I don't mind linearity, if it is a way to bring a great and fascinating story. FF13 was called extremely linear, but I didn't mind because it had a story that required that.

Deleted
    As long as the events in GW2 can be really challenging by the time we reach the higher levels, and, needless to say, provide rewards that are worth fighting for and rarely drop, then I'm happy.

If events turn out to be the equivalence of level 60 Azuregos stormed by level 85s in full epics without any need for tactics, teamplay, effort, good gear, and so forth, and without promising rewards in the end, then I won't last long in the game.

Deleted
    @Mojo Risin
    It really depends on what you consider "worth fighting for". If it is a stat boost to make you more powerful than other players you wont find it in GW2. If you just want to show off in cities with your cool, hard to get gear, then is likely you will find that instead.

We don't know much about the difficulty of the dungeons yet, but what we do know is that each of the 8 dungeons that are available at launch have a story mode and 3 separate "paths" called explorable mode, which can be unlocked by completing the story. These "paths" are said to be considerably more challenging than the story mode. Some links you can read: GW2 wiki Dungeons, Into the Dungeons, William Fairfield on Designing the Dungeons.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MapleMeringue View Post
    No.

Raiding is fringe content that caters to only a few percent of the most-raid centric MMO. The solution isn't to dumb it down or to allow easy entry, it's to stop making so many raids. Let players be challenged but on their own terms in more manageable groups where the real challenge isn't scheduling or sheep herding
    Why do you play MMO games?

Raiding is a huge part of them. You can always do other things, but if you don't raid at all, well, it's just like playing a shooter and not killing other players, just let them with low hp imo.

But i can understand your point a bit, tho GW2 seems oriented as all MMO games have been / are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    @Mojo Risin
    It really depends on what you consider "worth fighting for". If it is a stat boost to make you more powerful than other players you wont find it in GW2. If you just want to show off in cities with your cool, hard to get gear, then is likely you will find that instead.

We don't know much about the difficulty of the dungeons yet, but what we do know is that each of the 8 dungeons that are available at launch have a story mode and 3 separate "paths" called explorable mode, which can be unlocked by completing the story. These "paths" are said to be considerably more challenging than the story mode. Some links you can read: GW2 wiki Dungeons, Into the Dungeons, William Fairfield on Designing the Dungeons.
    That's pretty neat, although I worry it won't be exciting all that long. We all want our characters to look good, but we also want to feel better for working harder. If someone levels up a character and plays his 6-something skills decently well, then he's pretty much ready to pwn as much as you do. Not fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Should GW2 Have Raids?

No, I don’t want raids :3
    I don’t like the concept of raids, also, I think raids are quite boring. Doing the same bosses every week sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    If someone levels up a character and plays his 6-something skills decently well, then he's pretty much ready to pwn as much as you do. Not fair.
    I
    I'm sorry.... what? Explain this one a little more to me. My mind is kinda broken after reading.