Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    New York City is probably one of the most over-hyped locations on American soil and hardly deserving of any of it. A lot of cities get that way, however. Manchester, New Hampshire advertises itself as "Manch-Vegas" despite the fact that the entire city seems to shut down by 9PM as far as entertainment venues go. Boston has an ego beyond repair to the point where local Boston radio stations will doctor songs that reference other cities positively to say "Boston" instead.

Go live in Las Vegas. There's always something to do and if you don't want to do any of it, you can live in one of the many areas outside of the famous Strip and Fremont Street that are basically quaint little villages with a glow on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Khuzog View Post
    Manchester, New Hampshire advertises itself as "Manch-Vegas" despite the fact that the entire city seems to shut down by 9PM as far as entertainment venues go.
    Good to know. I'll not be volunteering for any political campaigns trying to get out the vote in New Hampshire in 2016 then.

Go live in Las Vegas. There's always something to do and if you don't want to do any of it, you can live in one of the many areas outside of the famous Strip and Fremont Street that are basically quaint little villages with a glow on the horizon.
    I don't know, I've got a good friend who lives in Vegas and she hates it. From how she describes it, the area is interesting enough for a visit but much to problematic for long-term living.

Also, OP: you currently live in Edmonton, Canada? Do you have US citizenship? If not, it will be much much harder for you to move to NY.

Deleted
    Dont move there, too much noise and people

10+ Year Old Account
    I've lived in NYC since I was around 7. The city is as you said, things are always going on. A comparison would be, I traveled to Boston during Christmas and it was a dead town. Streets are empty, stores are closed etc. During Christmas in NYC, stores are opened, people still hustling and bustling around. The public transportation is decent. 45 minutes is quite a lot of time to travel from Brooklyn, or Queens to Manhattan. The traffic is really bad in Manhattan, mainly due to taxis driving crazily. Brooklyn is fine, until you reach the downtown area where the new Barclays center is being built. Queens is fine until you drive around Main Street Flushing. I don't know if you've lived here before, I suggest you try it out for a month first, don't know if everyone can get used to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouled View Post
    How far is it in and out of Manhattan with public transport from Brooklyn; if there is no public transport between the two areas how long is it across the Brooklyn bridge, with, and without traffic?
    Subway, I've found, is the best way to get around in NYC. It depends on where you live in Brooklyn. Anywhere from 15 - 45 minutes if you're relatively close. All of NYC's burroughs are enormous.

Also is buying an apartment in Manhattan as insane as I hear that it is?
    You won't be living in Manhattan or Brooklyn, most likely, as an entry level dev.

Also how big is each borough?
    Enormous. And the subway system can be daunting. But once you get it down, it's one of the best public transportation systems in the world.

I am obsessed with Manhattan, and Brooklyn
    It's an interesting place. The Bronx is my favorite place to visit. Little Italy on Arthur St always reminds me of going to the market with my mom as a kid.

The problem with NYC is that what you've seen of it, what it's purported to be, wasn't accurate to begin with, and has been perpetuated by folks like you who decide to move there based on what they think it is. I don't mean that as an insult. The rudeness and the commodification of every little comfort has been exacerbated by people who move there and think that should be the standard. And even as big as NYC is, it's still very insular. They're all under the delusion that what they do is leading the country, and in recent years particularly, I think that's not the case.

It all depends on what you like. Move to NYC if you like fashion, a fast paced livestyle and being around people. I'm a science writer and visit zoos and museums and like to hike fairly often. I also love history and books. I live in Washington DC, which lacks the nightlife of NYC, but is a vast repository of academic culture, political history and has more of an old neighborhood feel to it in much of the city. It's the perfect balance for me.

Visit the city, like others have said. Stay there for at least a week if you can, and experience firsthand the amount of walking you need to do, what it's like to be constantly jostled on a daily basis and check out some apartments, feel what it would be like to be living in a one bedroom place on the top floor of a noisy apt building. These are all good things for certain people. My friend Jessica loves living there.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a dirty, filthy hellhole.

There is fun stuff to do but its like living in an apartment that has been repainted 30 times - except city sized.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    It's a dirty, filthy hellhole.

There is fun stuff to do but its like living in an apartment that has been repainted 30 times - except city sized.
    sounds lovely.

not

NY capital of the world? im pretty sure Tokyo is be on par with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HisaeDalv View Post
    NY capital of the world? im pretty sure Tokyo is be on par with it.
    I don't believe Tokyo/Japan has as much diversity as NYC.

Cons.

1. Crowded
    2. High cost of living
    3. Horrible / Rude Drivers
    4. Traffic is really bad
    5. Lot's of rude people (Not all though)

Pro's

1. Plenty to do
    2. Easy to pick up women (Usually)
    3. Good diversity
    4. Good jobs (If you can get one)
    5. Plenty of good place to eat (Do your research, because there are plenty of bad places as well)

The market for good jobs in NYC is very competitive, so don't count on getting one without a ton of effort
    Last edited by Purlina; 2011-12-15 at 05:12 PM.