AOE healing rotation with GoAK up

I was wondering if any calculation had been made in terms of HPS and HPM regarding our AOE healing rotation with GoAK up?

I'm currently going with 5 times [HR / DL / HR --> LoD] with ToR specced and DL cast on beacon for some pretty big numbers but I'm not sure that's the best way to use it...

Your thoughts / experience / calculations are more than welcome =D

Unless your Divine Light crits, Holy Radiance is going to do far more healing than DL with GoAK up and splashing to the entire raid and is cheaper. Even if it does crit, HR is probably stronger. That means that DL is now a waste of that Guardian charge if your goal is to max AOE healing.

The best usage is probably something like this.

-Cast Guardian at 3 HP
    -WOG - HR - HR - CS - WOG - HR - HR - CS - WOG - HR - HR - CS - WOG - HR - HR - CS - WOG

The guardian splash from a WoG does do more healing than the LoD that you would use the HP for does. This combination is the reason that I still stay glyphed into WOG and part of the reason I prefer to stay specced into Eternal Glory. Obviously, if you get an Eternal Glory proc, or if you get a Blessed Life charge, you can fire off the WoGs sooner; that rotation is the worst case RNG scenario. If you are not stacked on something that you can CS, you will have to decide between doing HR-HR-HR (very very expensive) or looking at another option.

Alternately, since the HR change means we no longer really NEED GoAK as our big AoE healing CD, you can consider saving it for single target tank burst or as a way to save mana.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    cs? use hs?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajwon View Post
    cs? use hs?
    HS uses up a Guardian charge. He's trying to keep Guardian up as long as possible since WoG doesn't use a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
    HS uses up a Guardian charge. He's trying to keep Guardian up as long as possible since WoG doesn't use a charge.
    WoG does use a charge, but because it heals for (nearly) as much as a Divine Light and costs no mana, it's the best way to use GoAK for max AoE healing since the HR change. The goal is to use all 5 Guardian charges on 3 HP WoG

Tibbee pretty much described how i use it. The main thing is that you have to be mindful of its cool down, Goak is a CD i hardly see paladins use due to it's "oh shit" raid save potential, when one person is really low and in 1 cast you top him off w/o causing Forbarence. But IMO thats why we have BOP and LoH in the first place. I like to think of Goak as our "Raid Save" similar to Spirit Link Totem, or Power Word: Barrier. As an example, in my 25m on Maddness, on our first pillar during the final wave of adds where there's mass AOE damage, I have the other healers save their big raid CD's. I'l Goak then Hr-Hr-Cs-WOG>Hr-Hr-Cs-WOG>Hr-Hr-Cs-WOG>Hr-Hr-Cs-WOG>Hr-Hr-Cs-WOG. This keeps the raid topped off VERY WELL, and the other healers can use their CD's on other pillars. And usually on the last pillar before death wing collapses, it's back up again. If you try to save it for that "oh shit" moment, you may not even use it on that boss fight. wasting other healers mana overall, and not having as good of a healing parse as you could have otherwise... if that's your thing
    Last edited by Aerumnous; 2011-12-15 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by tibbee View Post
    WoG does use a charge, but because it heals for (nearly) as much as a Divine Light and costs no mana, it's the best way to use GoAK for max AoE healing since the HR change. The goal is to use all 5 Guardian charges on 3 HP WoG
    I've seen a lot of talk about WoG not consuming a charge. Not sure where the basis for that is then.

WoG doesn't use a charge.
    I just checked and can confirm that WOG does use a charge from GoaK, HR does not. my rotation stands as earlier as the way i believe to properly use GoaK for better AOE healing in 4.3

Deleted
    I've seen a lot of talk about WoG not consuming a charge. Not sure where the basis for that is then.
    Confusing it with WoG not triggering a charge of purple debuff on Yor'sahj? That's all I can think of.

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers.

My divine light heals for more than my word of glory by 5k+. It also offers the most burst healing, which is what the cooldown is good for. Using HR + CS until you can WoG for 5 cycles takes 30 seconds, which is how long the guardian lasts for. You would have to never miss a GCD or be a second late, and that means overhealing, because you will have to cast regardless of current health pools. Anyway, my Light of Dawn also heals more than the splash from the guardian does, it just affects 6 targets max (5K to 9K with WoG, 6K to 9K with DL). I see the guardian as a single target cool down, or oh shit, FoL 5 raid members to full health, with the splash simple allowing me to ignore the rest of raid for a few seconds, which even then isn't guaranteed.

thers no debate here

HR,HR,CS>>>WoG X5 times is the best imo for aoe healing

if u can afforf the mana i sometimes go X3 HR and no CS

Could use HS offensively if not glyphed for CS, or if not in melee range. Only issue is it might not be ready in time, in which case you could just CS.

Don't see why CS>HS unless glyphed (same mana cost glyphed, but CS can trigger SoI). HS, meanwhile, does slightly more damage, costs less mana if CS isn't glyphed, and can trigger IoL. Offensive HS won't consume a charge, and the odds of a missed HS are only about as high as a dodged CS... unless you have 2/2 in the hit talent in which case HS can't miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrum View Post
    I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers.

My divine light heals for more than my word of glory by 5k+. It also offers the most burst healing, which is what the cooldown is good for. Using HR + CS until you can WoG for 5 cycles takes 30 seconds, which is how long the guardian lasts for. You would have to never miss a GCD or be a second late, and that means overhealing, because you will have to cast regardless of current health pools. Anyway, my Light of Dawn also heals more than the splash from the guardian does, it just affects 6 targets max (5K to 9K with WoG, 6K to 9K with DL). I see the guardian as a single target cool down, or oh shit, FoL 5 raid members to full health, with the splash simple allowing me to ignore the rest of raid for a few seconds, which even then isn't guaranteed.
    Yes, DL heals for slightly more than 3 HP WOG - even if you have WoG glyphed. Light of Dawn definitely heals for less than the splash heal from WoG with Guardian of Ancient Kings on a stacked 25 man raid; in a 10 man it might be more debatable. There are two major issues with using DL x5 with GoAK for the purposes of AoE healing.

1. Overhealing - It's going to heal a single target for at least ~64k, 128k with a crit. How much overheal is that going to do on the single target - especially since you are burning 8200 mana to do it?
    2. Mana cost and efficiency. Holy Radiance is highly mana efficient on a raid that is taking pulsing damage (situations like P2 of Zon'ozz for example). It also generates the charges for you. Divine Light is highly inefficient unless you are getting 0 overheal from it. In a raid damage heavy situation, you are spamming HR and generating lots of HP anyway. Using 3 HP WoGs with GoAK allows you to get nearly the same output from it as you would with 5xDL while still maintaining the AoE healing rotation you probably are anyway.

However, I agree with you that it's perfectly viable to hold it as a single target CD if you need burst tank healing or if you are single target bombing targets that are too spread out for HR to work effectively. It's also viable to use it while tank healing as a mana saving CD. You can use it to allow you to cast only HL and HS for the next several casts in situations where you would need to burn mana on DL. However, paladins find themselves tank healing a lot less this tier, and in most cases should not be assigned to tank healing.

---------- Post added 2011-12-19 at 01:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Braindwen View Post
    Could use HS offensively if not glyphed for CS, or if not in melee range. Only issue is it might not be ready in time, in which case you could just CS.

Don't see why CS>HS unless glyphed (same mana cost glyphed, but CS can trigger SoI). HS, meanwhile, does slightly more damage, costs less mana if CS isn't glyphed, and can trigger IoL. Offensive HS won't consume a charge, and the odds of a missed HS are only about as high as a dodged CS... unless you have 2/2 in the hit talent in which case HS can't miss.
    CS is not a priority over HS. However, you're limited to HS's 6 second cooldown unless you get a Daybreak proc - and you won't get one using this rotation unless you start with one because you aren't casting DL/FoL/HL. With HS on CD, your options for getting an HP with that cast are (1)Casting a DL or FoL on your beacon - expensive and possibly overheals (2) Use CS (3) Use HR. The main idea is replacing an HR with a CS because using HR-HR-HR-WoG x 5 in most situations is going to eat through too much mana.

CS is not a priority over HS. However, you're limited to HS's 6 second cooldown unless you get a Daybreak proc - and you won't get one using this rotation unless you start with one because you aren't casting DL/FoL/HL. With HS on CD, your options for getting an HP with that cast are (1)Casting a DL or FoL on your beacon - expensive and possibly overheals (2) Use CS (3) Use HR. The main idea is replacing an HR with a CS because using HR-HR-HR-WoG x 5 in most situations is going to eat through too much mana.
    So go HR-HR-HS(offensively)-Wog-HR-HR-CS-Wog. Can't Do #1 because it'd use a charge.
    Last edited by Braindwen; 2011-12-19 at 05:29 AM.

If you were trying to be mana efficient, you wouldn't be casting 2 holy radiance and a crusader strike for 5 cycles just to overheal with word of glory like you would divine light. As I said, Guardian is best used for intense single target burst healing. It offers very little to AoE healing, and if I were to use the rotation given, I would do -less- AoE healing for -more- mana, because normally I am using HS, CS, HR, LoD, ect.

If you are concerned about overhealing with guardian, you shouldn't just be downgrading your heals hoping it will stop overhealing. Otherwise why not just spam holy light when guardian is up? This thread is about throughput.