Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The premise of the OP is will bad play adversely effect the DE for those playing exceptionally. Not how Sally Standsinfire will be rewarded [or not] for... um, well...being terrible.

I haven't seen any specifics on what a bad player's bad playing will result in for the rest of the group. I.E. Sally is trying her best but is kinda terrible. Only thing I seen on that was a short clip of Colin saying they were taking measure so DEs couldn't be griefed by bad players- whatever that means in the end, I am not sure of.

But I'd love more info if anyone has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The premise of the OP is will bad play adversely effect the DE for those playing exceptionally. Not how Sally Standsinfire will be rewarded [or not] for... um, well...being terrible.
    Well, if enough people aren't carrying their weight, the event could potentially get very difficult if enough people are there, and very hard to complete if not enough people are performing well. Only problem I see is the chance of success in accomplishing the task becoming gradually lower as the more inexperienced players join in. But like I said, the tactics A-Net has put in to promote learning and practice with your character should (mostly) make that problem a much smaller issue than most other games.
    Last edited by airea; 2011-12-16 at 06:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If a "baddie" shows up and wants to join my group for a dungeon, at first I will try to make him learn some mechanics, teach him some MMO manners :3
    If he's resisting to learn from me (those I call "rubbish"), I will give him up, kick him out of the group, /ignore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Games like GW2 and SWToR will naturally have a smaller base of what we casually refer to as casual players or bads. This isn't because they are good games. It's because the games are far from as accessible as WoW is.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Games like GW2 and SWToR will naturally have a smaller base of what we casually refer to as casual players or bads. This isn't because they are good games. It's because the games are far from as accessible as WoW is.
    GW2's lack of a monthly subscription fee makes it by far the most accessible out of the three games you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    GW2's lack of a monthly subscription fee makes it by far the most accessible out of the three games you mentioned.
    I think by "accessible", he means 'facerollable'.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    This is why I'm establishing a guild now, along with bringing in family and friends to the game.

But I won't mind the "baddies" who are willing to learn. The ones who don't, will feel thine wrath. :P
    There's a term for that. It's called being a newb. Newb=/=noob though.

Newbs are those people who are new and legitimately do not know what to do or what they are doing, and they generally take constructive criticism. I love newbs personally. I love bringing someone into a group affair.

However, I can't stand people who are the "I know everything! You can't talk to me like that!" Whether they're just pig headed, or trolling, I can't stand players who play bad and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    I think by "accessible", he means 'facerollable'.
    What's so wrong with that? There are players out there, after all, who yes enjoy a bit of a challenge. But, we also tend to enjoy the fun that comes with relative "facerollable" content for us to have fun steam rolling. Seeing how fast we can do it. how many different ways with what classes.

Its not -always- a bad thing. There is just an unfortunate stigma attached to that word.
    Last edited by theredviola; 2011-12-16 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    There's a term for that. It's called being a newb. Newb=/=noob though.
    Newb = /New/bie/
    - Key Word: New

Noob = /scrubnub/
    - Key Word: Derp

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    I'm hoping that they wil give up and leave. Most likely they will cry out on all forums for nerfs and wow-like game changes.
    Let me correct that for you. It's not the Baddies that come to the forums to bitch and whine, it is the Elitist Jerks or at least those that seem to think they are. "Baddies" as you call them are people that don't put effort into the game which would also mean most likely, they also do not bother with visiting the forum or doing research.

To summarize this;

Baddies don't read, Elitist Jerks bitch and whine. A baddie I can deal with and help but a Jack ass I have to Ignore/Block almost instantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    Let me correct that for you. It's not the Baddies that come to the forums to bitch and whine, it is the Elitist Jerks or at least those that seem to think they are. "Baddies" as you call them are people that don't put effort into the game which would also mean most likely, they also do not bother with visiting the forum or doing research.

To summarize this;

Baddies don't read, Elitist Jerks bitch and whine. A baddie I can deal with and help but a Jack ass I have to Ignore/Block almost instantly.
    While this is a little...different than I would have put it, there is some truth here. I will gladly help someone if they say that they are new to the dungeon/raid/certain boss/etc. As the healer I usually have some sway in my pugs so I can help a newbie and no one will complain too much, at least not in party chat. If I see a major problem with their gear, I will usually ask them in a whisper "Pvp?" or something like that. Sometimes they lol and say that they could not find replacements. Fine, I am willing to try. If they respond with "stfu n hel me" then I will be more likely to call them out on it after the first pull.

There is no helping some people. I have a friend who is like this. He is awesome but, for lack of a better term, an asshole. This comes off in WoW. He thinks he is this amazing player but if you correct him or try to tell him a different way of doing it he will not listen. At all. Even today when I saw him at bowling, I asked him if he was coming back(he recently got his hunter geared but stopped playing a few weeks back due to getting a new job) so this way we can include him on guild LFD/LFR runs. He said "I don't play WoW to do nothing with our guild. I want to do something." I respond "We do stuff. I do stuff." And he basically snorted and said "The guild does nothing, so there is no point in returning."

This bothers me, as the guild we are in is made up ENTIRELY of our RL friends and my girlfriend who is the guild master. The guys LOVES the game but he doesn't think we are worth coming back to until the guild does what HE thinks we should be doing. He probably wants me to be the GM so I can "get things done", AKA raiding, even though the guildees, my friends, cannot meet on a set time. We can do LFR now, which is a dream come true for us, but even THAT is not good enough for him.

Ugh, and that is MY example of a player I cannot help. One that is so set in their ways, arguing that their spirit DK build is better because it is THEIR style while pulling 3k dps, and then attacking people for pointing it out. Those people I use my very dusty kick button on or even the lesser used ignore button.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    While this is a little...different than I would have put it, there is some truth here. I will gladly help someone if they say that they are new to the dungeon/raid/certain boss/etc. As the healer I usually have some sway in my pugs so I can help a newbie and no one will complain too much, at least not in party chat. If I see a major problem with their gear, I will usually ask them in a whisper "Pvp?" or something like that. Sometimes they lol and say that they could not find replacements. Fine, I am willing to try. If they respond with "stfu n hel me" then I will be more likely to call them out on it after the first pull.

There is no helping some people. I have a friend who is like this. He is awesome but, for lack of a better term, an asshole. This comes off in WoW. He thinks he is this amazing player but if you correct him or try to tell him a different way of doing it he will not listen. At all. Even today when I saw him at bowling, I asked him if he was coming back(he recently got his hunter geared but stopped playing a few weeks back due to getting a new job) so this way we can include him on guild LFD/LFR runs. He said "I don't play WoW to do nothing with our guild. I want to do something." I respond "We do stuff. I do stuff." And he basically snorted and said "The guild does nothing, so there is no point in returning."

This bothers me, as the guild we are in is made up ENTIRELY of our RL friends and my girlfriend who is the guild master. The guys LOVES the game but he doesn't think we are worth coming back to until the guild does what HE thinks we should be doing. He probably wants me to be the GM so I can "get things done", AKA raiding, even though the guildees, my friends, cannot meet on a set time. We can do LFR now, which is a dream come true for us, but even THAT is not good enough for him.

Ugh, and that is MY example of a player I cannot help. One that is so set in their ways, arguing that their spirit DK build is better because it is THEIR style while pulling 3k dps, and then attacking people for pointing it out. Those people I use my very dusty kick button on or even the lesser used ignore button.

You pretty much summed up every other LFD person I've ever met out there in WoW. And some of my old WoW friends. They snub you and act like the game is boring, when in turn, it's just them being prudish.

I'll enjoy the game right at release when everyone is generally considered a 'baddie', and everyone is learning new things as the game progresses. :P
    My Armory Page - My YouTube Page - Tumblr

<Stage Clear> US-Kil'Jaeden - World: 426 - US: 91 - Realm: 2

Quote Originally Posted by vMoPPy View Post
    I'll enjoy the game right at release when everyone is generally considered a 'baddie', and everyone is learning new things as the game progresses. :P
    And there will be people faster than others and know stuff faster than others, and expect people to know that as fast as they did, and ofc. bashing their fricken brains in about how good they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Baddies" as you call them, can never be completely eliminated. You can harshly reduce their number by fostering an environment that encourages being helpful and listen to people more knowledgeable than you. Everyone can help with this by being friendly and helpful and not just go "Lol ur bad!".
    Resurrected Holy Priest

In terms of rewards;

People who do good; Gold.
    People who did average; Silver
    People who are 'baddies'; Bronze

If you fail the DE, a new DE chain will appear. Means other stuff to do which you might not need the others to complete. Failing is just another outcome to the game, not just... okay we failed, let's ignore this.

Deleted
    how can you be "pro" when the game isnt out yet? even if you have played GW 1 for years and years, you will still be a baddie when it releases :S

and no i dident read btw, i just saw the "baddie" and "gw2" ;/

As the OP, I just wanted to clarify, this post wasn't created to mock the less experienced. We all have blind spots at some point in our gaming career. Additionally, Dynamic Events are one of the least of my concerns since bad/lazy gameplay can be made up for in strength in numbers; one DPS obsessed player who doesn't assist others will not cause the 29 others playing their professions dynamically to fail.

It's the players with a solo-role mentality, the ones who will refuse to adapt to circumstances and the ideals of GW2 that worry me.

The example I presented earlier is (I think) a valid one: A group of 5 go into a dungeon. One player won't lay traps, heal, debuff or assist other than by laying out ranged DPS. The other group members are forced to work around him, holding on to specific duties to compensate and cover his ass. The more often you're forced to deal with a particular mentality, the more likely you are to respond in the same manner over and over, until it becomes second nature. Before long, your plate wearer is always trying to be a tank, a scholar is trying to be the main healer, and DPS give up their tricks and alternate abilities just to get the dungeon over with.

Think of it like selfish behavior in LFD groups. Everyone rolls need 100% of the time, because if they don't, they'll lose a main spec piece of gear because some jerk will roll need for off-spec. You started off generous and considerate, now it's every man for himself; you've altered the way you do things because of the actions of others. (let's please not get into an argument over LFD etiquette )

With a little luck, a group is destined to fail if everyone doesn't play their roles dynamically. If not, the "pure" spec players have an opportunity to push everyone else into a static role. We won't really know until NDA-free beta reviews come in.

Deleted
    The ones i hope that stay away from GW2 are the elitist people who think they are better than others and use terms like baddies (even "baddies" is bad), retards, morons, idiots, etc... when in a group with other people.

The day those guys learn that, just because they play the game with less skill, doesn't mean they don't have the right to play it at all, the entire game will be better. The less skilled players pay as much as you do, they are probably having more fun than you are (because they don't care if other people plays worse than them) and they are the healthy part of the community. By opposition, the ones that insult, bash and troll everyone they see, are in fact the cancer that destroys a gaming community.

I have been in games that looked great and were destroyed by their awful community (if you are gonna name WoW as an example of those, you haven't played enough games).

Sometimes a kind word works wonders and people actually change their game, to please others in the group. If that doesn't work, you can always leave the group. Considering there wont be any "automatically generated groups" and everyone in the group is invited to it, you can always put that one person on ignore and never party with them again. You know... like the old days.

As far as loot rolls, dps focused players, etc... it can be worked in a group by group bases. And again, if you don't like that guy, don't party with him.

Deleted
    A noob is just new to the game, a baddie is simply just a (possibly longtime playing) bad player. (NOT trying to be elitist here!)
    A noob might actually become great at the game, I mean, everyone was a noob once right?

On Topic: Cannon fodder mostly.
    Last edited by mmoc3157d46ea6; 2011-12-16 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    On Topic: Cannon fodder mostly.
    That's probably the most that will happen. Like Foreverlad said, you'll have players who won't do anything but one roll. Probably won't switch weapons and stick to one skill set, won't have anything but skills or traits (whatever they turn into) associated with dpsing as much as they can.

At the same time, you'll have people who can't grasp dodge. In dungeons, they'll be eaten alive and will be the one place that will ruin most people's day. In any kind of dynamic event, if you find yourself having to help the same person out over and over in a downed state, you'll eventually ignore them and go about your business. Dungeons are such a small group, I wouldn't think there would be too many times you'd run into someone like this. But being such a small group, maybe it will be a decent opportunity to help someone expand their game.