Deleted

The future of Misdirection

This is a straight copy/paste from my post on the EU forums - looking for some more opinions on MD.

After clearing all of normal mode D/soul and having a good few attempts on 4 of the heroic encounters, I got to thinking about how often (apart from the initial pull) I actually use MD in a raid environment.

Thinking back to T11 content MD was very useful on in the following situations:

1) hc Magmaw - to send the Bone Construct to the off-tank
    2) ODC - sending the newly formed Golem to the relevant tank when it first activated
    3) Maloriak -sending the small adds to the off-tank
    4) Neffy - helping with the Bone Constructs if they get a bit out of hand in both the first and last phases. Also sometimes pet tanking the Bone Constructs in p1 normal mode for fun.
    5) Halfus - very useful in either opening the encounter or sending the newly released drakes/whelps to the tanks
    6) Cho'gall - an early MD on the big add that a tank would normally take to the back of the room was very handy
    7) Sinestra - carefully MD-ing the whelps to the offtank

T12 content

1) Beth'tilac - personally I'd only very rarely need to MD a Spinner to the downstairs tank
    2) Rhyo'lith - MD-ing the small or big adds to the off tank
    3) Rag - MDing a lava scion to a particular tank

T12 content

1) maybe the small adds that spawn on Yor'shaj, although we've veered away from that idea of late.
    2) The amalgamation in Madness of DW fight. But even that seems nothing more than an "out of habit" reaction from me.

Now, I know that only one tier of raid content isn't exactly enough to make a trend, but is MD becoming less and less useful in a raid environment? Is MD an ability worth saving or is there an argument to include more scenarios within raid content where MD is a powerful tool? Should MD be changed? If so, what to? With a new expansion coming, it might be worth taking starting to think about how we might want MD to look in that expansion.

MD isn't terribly useful any more. Tank threat is now so good that they can pick up 99% of things on their own.

If you want to see how good it is, MD to a fury warrior or a moonkin or something on trash and see how often they die.

We're just in a tier where it sees less use. Think of the fights:

Morchok: no adds, so apart from on the pull it's useless
    Zon'ozz: no adds
    Yor'sahj: adds, but they have no aggro table so it's pointless
    Hagara: useful for the lightning elemental
    Ultraxion: no adds
    Blackhorn: lots of adds, pretty useful
    Spine: lots of adds, can be used
    Madness: lots of adds, can be used

Half of the fights it's pointless, and the other half it's unnecessary (helpful, but not needed). It all depends on the type of fights designed. I highly doubt we'll see MD removed or anything silly like that: it's a very good idea for a spell and really interesting. But it's situational: sometimes it's awesome, sometimes it isn't.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    After the threat buff tanks got a couple of months ago, I think they could remove MD without it being missed too much in raids (I'd still like to have it when soloing or doing 5-man pugs). I basically only use it at the pull, to make sure tank will have aggro first few seconds, and no dps needs to hold back at all. But if MD was removed, I don't think it'd have a serious impact.

Ultraxion with one tank = VERY useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    We're just in a tier where it sees less use. Think of the fights:

Morchok: no adds, so apart from on the pull it's useless
    On heroic it's good for kohcrom. At least we had a dps horny melee die every now and then after the split.
    In Soviet Russia, you loot to raid.

Hippa

You look skill as raid-only tool. For soloing it is great(unless you are overgeared so mobs die before they can reach you).
    And dungeons...so many wannabee tanks that can't hold aggro..without MD i would have to FD on every pull with dome pug tanks.
    It is great tool in hunter arsenal and if it don't shine anymore in raids , it have plenty other uses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or they could add an effect to MD making it worthwhile to use off cd... you know something like tricks. It's only fair since you we had this spell first..

Since threat is no longer an issue, MD is no longer needed on single target pulls. It also isn't needed on most add fights because if AoE threat is needed all tanks have comparable AoE abilities. It's not supposed to be some great ability needed for every fight, but if you see an opportunity to use it, I'm sure the tanks won't disagree :P

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I caught a rival hunter in LFR pulling Ultraxion before the tanks could with misdirect.... right to my pet. Which was promptly 1-shot by the boss. Before then I had been pile driving him into the ground on the meter. That cheeky, sneaky little shit!

---------- Post added 2011-12-17 at 06:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    Or they could add an effect to MD making it worthwhile to use off cd... you know something like tricks. It's only fair since you we had this spell first..
    That plus the glyph that auto-refreshes the cd on md if you cast it on your pet... hmmMmmm.

1. Spec BM
    2. Use MD on pet off cd
    3. ???
    4. Profit!
    Last edited by Tiskar; 2011-12-17 at 12:27 PM.
    Lurk n' jerk. Well, not so much the jerk part.

10+ Year Old Account
    These days, in a raid situation I tend to only use MD for initial pulls for our warrior tank to grab some extra agro while he is building rage. In dungeons, all the god damn time... Ugh. Feign Death and Deterrence don't get as much of a work out in arena as they do in LFG dungeons... Naturally I MD when solo'ing things.

But in main part, my favourite use for MD is proving a point. My guild and I have a nice routine worked out, albeit not one we consciously think about. If my pet dies in a fight whether trash or boss, I blame the healers as a joke. Without fail our Shaman healer will always reply "The pet deserved to die". So when the next pack is pulled I will MD to him and when he dies simply reply "Pet says hi!".

Sounds annoying, but it never fails to get a laugh from everyone.