Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    just buy yourself the tickets and if you win give them some money imo

Deleted
    Since I'd feel empathy yes I'd share some of it for sure. If I gave somebody a ticket with a huge prize on I'd be devastated if I got nothing

Deleted
    I don't think lottery tickets would make good gifts anyway unless they are something cheap for someone who you don't particularly care about but feel like you should gift at least something. It's just cheap, like gifting a 5 dollar bill in an envelope. But if you insist, isn't that the whole point? If they don't win, you're giving them a useless piece of paper:P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Also what would you do if you were brought a lotto ticket that won as a gift? would you share it with the person who gave it to you?
    I probably would, strangely enough. But I would never buy lottery tickets in the first place.

There is a bigger chance that you get struck by lightning 3 times in your life time than that you win the lottery.

I would use it to buy more lottery tickets.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lottery ticket isn't worth the paper its made from the average value of a ticket is -2.5 USD.

Sure you can be like people win all the time!

Yeah but people lose over 2x as much as is paid out. Not to mention even when you do win the jackpot 60% is taken out by the government.

Deleted
    If they're good friends with you, then you might get something because you paid for it. Just don't ask for it... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    So Im pretty skint this year so was considering purchasing between £5-10 lucky dip lottery tickets to put into family and friends christmas cards rather than buy them a gift for Christmas.

I thought it was a good idea until I thought about... well simply... what if they actually won?

Then I started to wonder, how would I feel if they did win on a ticket I purchased for them? would I be happy about it or royally pissed off that I never kept that particular ticket for myself lol.

After playing the lottery for years and never managing to win much it is truly my dream to win and make my kids lives secure for the future, so how would it feel to have that winning ticket in my hand and basically give it away?

Im really not sure how I would feel so Im still thinking about the idea atm.

Also what would you do if you were brought a lotto ticket that won as a gift? would you share it with the person who gave it to you?

Thoughts please
    Consider this :

5 years of ticket purchases at £5 a ticket, per week. (I am generous here, some people spend 20$ daily) = £1300

Depending of lottery chances, lot prises and other tweaks, DID YOU REALLY WIN AT LOTTERY ?

If you really want to make all your family laugh, buy a fake winning ticket and film the reaction of the person, then their face when they realise it's fake, something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQAaeY0DsgI

Anyway, personal opinion, it's not made to be given as a girt, especialy for holidays.
    Last edited by powerstuck; 2011-12-16 at 06:25 PM.

Every year someone in my family takes turns get some scratch cards for the family dinner just as a bit of fun, banter & tradition. No one has won any serious money £30 quid was the most and we've been doing it for as long as I can remember. Generally I would prefer a gift as a present as there's a bit of a thought process behind it, you can easily pick up some bits for a low amount of money.

I don't get the mindset of people who do the lottery/scratch cards in the attempt of winning big money as the chances are so slim, punt a few quid have a bit of a laugh and don't get to obsessed with it, I've known people to spend several hundred pounds on scratch cards per month, when they aren't exactly rolling in money in the first place and have had to learn the lesson the hard way (you're not likely to win anything big & even less likely to win anything over the long term).

As for a family member winning big on a scratch card it wouldn't bother me too much beyond cursing my apparent bad luck on pretty much everything both in games and IRL and making sure that they buy me a nice big steak meal the next time we go out for food .