Thread: My First Gun

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    Are you the most dense person to ever live? I was on the side of people that own firearms for fun purposes...
    My bad. I misread your post and thought that you were quoting me.

---------- Post added 2011-12-17 at 02:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roos View Post
    And this doesn't make you wonder; what if we didn't allow everyone and their grandma to wear guns to protect themselves and try and act as 'the dog instead of the sheep' ?
    '

I'm pretty sure that if everyone carried a firearm, people would treat each other with the utmost respect.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Ruger LCR for a carry gun and a Springfield XDM-9 for a range gun... among others. Prior to getting both of those, I had a XD-9 subcompact which I had bought to try and fulfill both roles. After deciding it wasn't what I wanted for a range gun, I traded it for the XDM. Later, I went looking for another carry gun, and thought I was set on getting another automatic. I looked at almost everything on the market and spoke with almost anyone I could with knowledge on the subject. At one gun shop, the shopkeeper recommended I look at the LCR, and I almost immediately fell in love. It has great power being a .38spl, lightweight, compact size, feels solid in my hand. I haven't had a second thought about buying it or whether I should've purchased something else.
    And now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's a grub worm?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopajoo View Post
    There's off topic, and then there's general off topic. I figured I'd post here to make the mod's lives easier, because I do love the little guys.

My fiance's dad took me out to the range the other day, I thought I was going to get shot. Turns out he really does like me, or doesn't wanna go to prison... Anyway, I shot the three main pistol calibers (.22, 9mm, and .45) and the .45 was perfect for me. So I started looking around for a handgun and that's when I found a few law enforcement endorsed .40 caliber guns. There's a .40 cal Glock that caught my eye http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13733 and I was hoping that out there among the many MMO community, there would be a few that were into handguns.

The purpose of me owning a gun is as much for fun as it is for being my conceal & carry gun. I don't have a problem with it being bulky because I'm a fluffy guy in general and I wear loose fitting clothes anyway. I want everyone and anyone to weigh in, even the trolls who wanna talk about how they don't need a gun because their grub worm on two dufflebags is enough to take out anyone.

PS: If it matters (should not), these guys have a shop 5 miles from here.
    Here get this: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/72791

More info here: http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0110.html

It's lightweight, 20 magazine (if you buy that particular one), semi auto, very low recoil, very easy to use, powerful 5.7 mm X 28 mm. Widely used by the military in many countries for good reasons.

Yeah it's costly and it won't have the same feeling as old guns. But if you want personal defense, this gun is king.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    Here get this: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/72791

More info here: http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0110.html

It's lightweight, 20 magazine (if you buy that particular one), semi auto, very low recoil, very easy to use, powerful 5.7 mm X 28 mm. Widely used by the military in many countries for good reasons.

Yeah it's costly and it won't have the same feeling as old guns. But if you want personal defense, this gun is king.

Not saying it's a bad idea, I personally love the Five-Seven... but they aren't easy to get, and as you said, they are not cheap.

They are simply illegal in some states because of the ammunition they use.

OP You might also want to look into reloading.

I have been doing it for years and its just as fun as range time.

Didn't see this one mentioned yet but I admittedly did a little bit of skimming.

This is my 40 caliber pistol, a Smith and Wesson Sigma 40VE pistol. It is reliable, has never jammed on me after countless shots fired (though I do take excellent care and maintenance of my weapon) it's got a heavy trigger pull, excellent accuracy, good capacity (14 clip + 1 chambered) and unlike a lot of others I have rarely, if ever, seen ANYTHING bad uttered about this weapon from people who have the authority to make such calls. Many law enforcement agents in my area (and apparently beyond according to reviews I made when I first purchased it) make this their personal firearm.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

While there's nothing wrong with Glock, per say, they aren't my gun manufacturer of choice. You read a lot of hype about how many members of the armed forces / law enforcement use Glocks but the reality is that in most of their positions, that isn't really THEIR choice. I've fired many of them, never owned one, but was generally left with a less-than-memorable experience. I am aware that I fired "A Glock" but nothing about it really struck me as appreciable enough to remember which ones or what models.

A lot of people like it though because of brand recognition. You can always show off "Your Glock" and anyone who's ever seen television in the last 10 years or heard anyone talking about firearms will utter an "Oooooh." of recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by stevepelle91 View Post
    <example with hooded guy>
    Thing is, in Denmark(which is where both Roos and I live), people in the smaller towns just don't have any "easy" way to get hold of a gun. That in turn means we don't need one, because only a very small minority has one, and only a minority of that minority actually want to harm others. The only reason americans need guns to protect themselves, is because all the other americans have guns. Its a cultural thing, you're used to having guns everywhere, and because of that you feel a need to protect yourself by having a gun, and danes(for the most part) just don't constantly think about "does that guy want to shoot me?", because so few people have guns. And if something bad happens, the police is usually a lot quicker than the american police seems to be.

I am obviously biased as well, both because in my head the thought of needing a gun is just ridiculous, and because of the statistics that show Denmark as having way lower shootings than the US. The US is ridiculously far ahead of most other countries, especially western ones(7,07 homicides per 100k inhabitants in the US vs 0,23 per 100k in Denmark, according to Wikipedia).

Shooting as a sport actually sounds kinda fun, too bad I passed on the one opportunity to try it that I've had so far.

If you feel the need to have a gun, sure do that, but please don't make fun of all those people who just plain don't need one.

As OT as I can get without any personal experience: The whole idea of trying out guns to see which one suits you the most makes complete sense, I'd say go for that. I'd assume its a lot like with bows(which I do have a bit of experience with), whereby you don't want "The Best" gun, but one that fits you as perfectly as possible. Good luck with your purchase, and I hope you will never need to use it(you seem to hope that as well, which I think is great).
    Last edited by Tradu; 2011-12-17 at 10:46 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Thing is, in Denmark(which is where both Roos and I live), people in the smaller towns just don't have any "easy" way to get hold of a gun. That in turn means we don't need one, because only a very small minority has one, and only a minority of that minority actually want to harm others. The only reason americans need guns to protect themselves, is because all the other americans have guns. Its a cultural thing, you're used to having guns everywhere, and because of that you feel a need to protect yourself by having a gun, and danes(for the most part) just don't constantly think about "does that guy want to shoot me?", because so few people have guns. And if something bad happens, the police is usually a lot quicker than the american police seems to be.

I am obviously biased as well, both because in my head the thought of needing a gun is just ridiculous, and because of the statistics that show Denmark as having way lower shootings than the US. The US is ridiculously far ahead of most other countries, especially western ones(7,07 homicides per 100k inhabitants in the US vs 0,23 per 100k in Denmark, according to Wikipedia).

Shooting as a sport actually sounds kinda fun, too bad I passed on the one opportunity to try it that I've had so far.

If you feel the need to have a gun, sure do that, but please don't make fun of all those people who just plain don't need one.

As OT as I can get without any personal experience: The whole idea of trying out guns to see which one suits you the most makes complete sense, I'd say go for that. I'd assume its a lot like with bows(which I do have a bit of experience with), whereby you don't want "The Best" gun, but one that fits you as perfectly as possible. Good luck with your purchase, and I hope you will never need to use it(you seem to hope that as well, which I think is great).

Well said... But as you said, the police don't have the fastest response time here - which is why a lot of us want to own a firearm for self defense, and a lot of us simply don't like relying on others to defend us.

It's not always about the attacker having a gun themselves either. If someone breaks into my house with a bladed weapon (axe, knife, sword, whatever) intending to harm me or my family I can drop him before he gets in swinging distance of us. I just like the feeling of knowing that I can defend myself and my loved ones, even if I never need to (and I honestly hope I'm never actually put in that situation)

I'm just not willing to bet the lives of my family on the assumption that some crazy bastard won't kick down my door one day and come in swinging... I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post

That's exactly what I ment, thanks for the better-explaining of it =D

Deleted
    Having the urge to get a gun? Compensating for something, or do you just have aggressive tendencies?

<Infracted> Post constructively.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2011-12-17 at 06:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taldred View Post
    Same here. Thankfully I live in a country that does not allow civilians to carry firearms.
    That's why you are called subjects and we are called citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I had a way to lock this thread. All constructive conversation seems to have ceased, luckily after a great deal of benefit was gained in from this thread. Thank you to everyone who had something to contribute, even those with dissenting points of view. I don't have anything against someone that doesn't believe in gun ownership. I'm not even that surprised that the outside world sees an American with a gun and immediately assumes the worst.

Thanks again everyone, and if there's a mod out there watching, lock this thread lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopajoo View Post
    Thanks again everyone, and if there's a mod out there watching, lock this thread lol
    Locked!!!11