Computer won't start with graphics Card.

Hi, I have 2 computers and whenever I put the graphics card (only one i have) into either of them, they will not start. They start fine on their own without the graphics card. Also i recently got some money and would like to buy a new part to raid but I don't have much and i'm not sure what i need to buy and i wouldn't want to order the wrong part. The card I have is a GeForce GT 120, and the computer with the largest Power supply is 450w. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Whenever i try to start it up on the computer it came in, the fan makes a "whirring" noise for about a second and then stops. Doesn't light up at all.
    Last edited by Frostkillz; 2011-12-17 at 02:56 AM.

What do you mean by, "they won't start?"

Does the computer POST? Does it just show a black screen? Does the computer not power up at all?

They don't start up. No lights, nothing. I hear the fan spin for a second and that's the only thing that that happens.

---------- Post added 2011-12-16 at 08:13 PM ----------

I'm just gonna go ahead and order a new graphics card and hope for the best

try resting your CMOS. There should be a 3pin setup with a jumper labeled "CLEAR CMOS" or "RESET BIOS". This is very helpful when a computer fails to even enter POST/BIOS.

Unplug the computer, swap the jumper over for a few seconds, then return the jumper to its original position. If you fail to find the jumper (or even a switch on newer motherboards) the CMOS battery (small, round, shiny thingy, looks like a watch battery) can be manually removed.

Make sure you supplied power to the back of the video card (if applicable). Also, reset CMOS battery (however, I'm doubting this, as they boot fine with the integrated chips)

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds just like when I upgraded my PC with some new stuff (but I kept the graphics card I had before).

In my case it was my PSU that couldn't supply all the parts with enough power when I plugged in my graphics card.

Sounds like you have the same, or a similar, problem.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    What is the graphics card?
    What is the power supply in each computer?
    What are the system specs for each computer?

This definitely sounds like the powersupply can't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkash View Post
    This definitely sounds like the powersupply can't support it.
    even a 450w PSU should be able to handle a GT 120