Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SWToR FPS / Game Issues

Anyone else seem to be having issues with the game? I finally got my EA access today.. waiting an hour in Q for the server all my guildies are playing on, only to have my game randomly just close on me. Not only that but even of all low settings the game is running horrendous for me (staggers from 8-15 fps on all low). This seems odd since I can run WoW easily and get around 60 fps.

I went on a low populated server to test my issues and tweak settings.. but the game keeps closing every 10 mins or so. Really frustrating and it seems like a ton of people are having the same issue on the SWToR forums.

Anyone here experience this or found a solution? This is beyond frustrating waiting this long only to encounter these problems

10+ Year Old Account
    System specs?

This really doesn't sound like a game issue, it sounds like your computer is having issues.

Also, it's TOR, not ToR; the O is for 'Old' not 'of' :-P

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    System specs?

This really doesn't sound like a game issue, it sounds like your computer is having issues.

Also, it's TOR, not ToR; the O is for 'Old' not 'of' :-P
    ill post my specs when I get home, but im 98% sure this isn't a problem with my computer considering it runs WoW and any other game for that matter perfectly and it passed the system specs test for the game easily.

Threads pertaining to the issue with systems 100000 times better then mine and having simliar issues:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=35656

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=30692

---------- Post added 2011-12-16 at 07:23 PM ----------

Just tried settings on the highest.. same FPS as low.

Pretty sure that shouldn't happen
    Last edited by Wooblez; 2011-12-17 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried following steps in a few threads on the SWTOR site?
    I recommend trying to turn off shadows completely, bloom, and turn on v-sync. Those helped alot for fixing my gfs laptop which went from 10-15 unstable fps to 25-30 fps. Also changing your resolution to a little bit lower one can help as well. There are quite a bit of work around options it seems, but for most people having shadows on period will drain your system.

Dragonslayer Koyori proud member of P.A.R.T.Y My Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Koyori View Post
    Have you tried following steps in a few threads on the SWTOR site?
    I recommend trying to turn off shadows completely, bloom, and turn on v-sync. Those helped alot for fixing my gfs laptop which went from 10-15 unstable fps to 25-30 fps. Also changing your resolution to a little bit lower one can help as well. There are quite a bit of work around options it seems, but for most people having shadows on period will drain your system.
    Yes, I have, and none have worked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also forgot to mention trying to set it to full screen windowed mode, that helped a bit. Outside of that I would say post dxdiag and see if someone can assist you. I know on the SWTOR forums there are plenty of computer savvy people lurking and helping or problem shooting issues there. I would try posting it here and over there in customer service describing your issue and stating you have tried the options to help.

I run fine for about 2 min the I get insane lag to the point where my toon just sits there unable to move for around 15 seconds and then its fine again and repeats itself, every 2 minutes and ITS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what annoys me is that i easily get 100+ fps in WoW, but in TOR i get random fps spikes that really ruin the game for me i think, i average 30 fps

10+ Year Old Account
    There have been a quite a few people posting high end comp specs and experiencing this unstable play. I would recommend changing what you need to get a stable and playable fps, this is most likely something that will get addressed shortly after release or before. BW has slated 3 maintenance days already, just passed the last one. The next two are on the 19 a few hrs before the game launch and the 3rd is on the 22 I believe. With this issue being pointed out and voiced to them, and with clear reasoning based on the graphic options doing very little to change the gameplay for people, I wouldn't be surprised if this is resolved soon. I would say just post on their forums in a calm and precise manner explaining your issue. The best thing to do is let them know what is happening and if you explain what causes it so they can fix it.

I have everything on max except for shadows(low) and I have no problems. I don't have a top-of-the-line system, either - 3.0 ghz AMD quadcore, geforce 8800, 4 gigs ram, gigabit ethernet. TOR runs awesome, as does WoW.

I don't know if this applies to you, but the latest update for my Radeon graphics card completely screwed over my FPS; I had to roll back to a previous update to get the game working properly again.

known issue to many

Known issue that many are having myself included.

No known fix yet all the suggestion listed in this long thread are helpful to some but not all. I havent tried any of them yet ... all I know is I logged in last night to check the game out of the first time and it was so jerky and choppy I turned it off and went to bed.

This site wont let me post any links yet but there is a HUGE thread in the SWTOR customer service forums about this issue.

I had this same issue and I have a not so great gaming rig........Turn the shadows completely off in graphics setttings...it helps tremendously....

15+ Year Old Account
    some of these sound like overheating issues.

I've having the same problem. My compy isn't great, but zero issues with WoW and I was able to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution with next to zero issues and its a fairly graphically intense game (a hell of a lot more so than SWTOR).

I've tried zero shadows/grass/trees, no real boost to FPS. I'll try disabling bloom/enabling vert synch, and trying windowed mode.

if you are overheating try sticking vsync on in the drivers.

if you are getting random jerkyness in new areas it may just an initial building of the games cache issue.

these are both fairly generic things with certain types of games.

cyptic games suffer from the overheating vsync thing as do some others and almost all mmos build a file cache of sorts in the background when they first encounter new mobs or textures etc.

then again it could be something completely different :P
    Last edited by sleekit; 2011-12-21 at 07:35 PM.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit View Post
    if you are overheating try sticking vsync on in the drivers.

if you are getting random jerkyness in new areas it may just an initial building the games cache issue.

these are both fairly genraic things with certain types of games.

then again it could be something completely different :P
    I do get a ton of initial lag in new areas, but I totally get that that is "normal".

It's the constant stuttering every several seconds that is driving many of us nuts. It's playable, but it really kills enjoyment. I've literally never been so excited to pick up a new game, or so disappointed shortly after installing it.

Oh well, time will tell I suppose. These issues will either get better or they won't. If they don't, back to WoW and good riddance.

do you have an ATI card by any chance ?

i've seen mention of a problem with ATI cards and the only guy in the thread that says its running fine is a geforce 8800 guy.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by Wooblez View Post
    Anyone else seem to be having issues with the game? I finally got my EA access today.. waiting an hour in Q for the server all my guildies are playing on, only to have my game randomly just close on me. Not only that but even of all low settings the game is running horrendous for me (staggers from 8-15 fps on all low). This seems odd since I can run WoW easily and get around 60 fps.

I went on a low populated server to test my issues and tweak settings.. but the game keeps closing every 10 mins or so. Really frustrating and it seems like a ton of people are having the same issue on the SWToR forums.

Anyone here experience this or found a solution? This is beyond frustrating waiting this long only to encounter these problems
    Update your drivers. This isn't WoW anymore where you can run a game with drivers from 4 years ago.

Edit: Just an FYI I run with Quad-SLI Nvidia GTX 460s and I can run at 100+ FPS. Only time it drops below 50 is when I'm on the Imperial Fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsorow View Post
    Quad-SLI Nvidia GTX 460s
    To bad a 460 only supports 2 way sli