Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Looking to Play GW1 For The HOM, Require a Bit of Advice

Hello everyone,

So earlier this year I bought the trilogy of GW1 in hopes of soaking in some lore before the future release of GW2. I knew the leveling process was instanced if you went PvE, but I kind of underestimated the lack of interaction I would have with players. I'm currently level... 7-9 I believe in Post-Searing Ascalon.

I have a grasp of inviting NPCs to aid me in the instanced areas so I don't get my ass handed to me. Only thing is, since they all use some pretty old AI, I can't trust the healer to keep me up. I've died numerous times, having to start all over again from a waypoint. I think I would almost prefer a corpse walk system.
    The multi-class system is a bit non-explanatory, but I think I can handle it.

My main issue is the lack of community. When I'm in the city I don't see anyone communicating with each other, and I guess I just feel sort of lost.

I know my problem is a bit vague, but is there any general advice you could offer a poor newbie?

Thanks

I know exactly what you mean with the poor community i have a total 4 accounts ( i collected them over the years) and yes the community has died alot. My advice would be to use heros they are great replacement for people. Sadly you can only get heros if you have nightfall or eye of the north. If you want some help i can get online and help you so you can get the basics of the game down.

I bought the trilogy, so I actually have proph/factions/nightfall. That would be awesome, if you have the time. Let me know what server and I'll make a toon.

With any luck, I can dig up my account info and offer you some company in the next day or two.

Few tips:

If you want to level up and THEN experience the story, start with a Factions character, or Nightfall. Leveling was less... painful? with a better variety of companions to level with. The Prophecies campaign is really great near the end, but it can be a bit confusing when you're seeing adverts for Drak runs people offering to speed run missions and such. Without spoiling anything, the story takes a bit of a turn when you're in the SE portion of the map for Prophecies.

As for companions: Don't think of the set up as Tank/DPS/Healer. Mobs react to AoE and do their best to avoid it whenever possible. They'll target healers, and do all other sorts of things that can be inconvenient when you first start out. You obviously need heals and someone needs to 'tank', but try to vary your setup as much as possible. heals/buffs/debuffs/melee/ranged/cleanses/etc. As you progress through the campaign you'll be allowed to bring more companions with you, so the variety of classes, abilities and specific NPCs will increase.

Outside of some very specialized builds (with specialized gear), you're really not meant to solo mobs, so don't feel bad as you adjust to the way that world works.

Btw- what profession is your main?

Almost forgot that GW1 has cross professions. There's plenty of viable options and it's actually pretty easy to understand: Just think of it like College, you've got a Major you're specializing in and a Minor in something else. Later in the game you'll be able to switch your secondary any time you wish (and collect skills/elite skills to compliment it). For the time being, focus on improving your main spec's range of talents; they'll take you further than secondary skills early in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverlad View Post
    With any luck, I can dig up my account info and offer you some company in the next day or two.
    That would be fantastic. Just PM me, or post again on the thread, thanks a lot

Almost forgot that GW1 has cross professions. There's plenty of viable options and it's actually pretty easy to understand: Just think of it like College, you've got a Major you're specializing in and a Minor in something else. Later in the game you'll be able to switch your secondary any time you wish (and collect skills/elite skills to compliment it). For the time being, focus on improving your main spec's range of talents; they'll take you further than secondary skills early in the game.
    I'm currently a Human Warrior in Prophecies with a Ranger secondary. I figured the pet would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    That would be fantastic. Just PM me, or post again on the thread, thanks a lot
    As long as I'm not stuck playing with a Baddie!

As long as I'm not stuck playing with a Baddie!
    I'm a quick learner ;P

Send me a message as Haley Rawrington. GWAMM. There is almost nothing in the game I can't solo / demolish.

Most people play GW1 like a single player game these days- the PVE side anyway.

I'm assuming the HoM requirements become much easier after you've level capped?

---------- Post added 2011-12-17 at 02:29 AM ----------

That's mostly what I'd be doing this for =/

Some of them. What helps most of all is getting all the skills. Then you can tackle the achievements 1 at a time with the most optimal build for each. Getting to 20 in pre-searing is... maddening.

Well I re-rolled a mesmer in nightfall just a few hours ago, level 4 right now. So hopefully that'll make it easier. "Skills"?

ah, i misread your earlier post. sorry need sleep. thought you were going for the the L20 before searing achievement- hence level 4. guess you're just bad, lol XD

but anyway, yea. the best thing to do is not start in the expansions. do prophecies as you get the majority of useful skills for free in that campaign. nightfall is the slowest campaign. factions the quickest but get fewer awesome skills in factions overall.

go with prophecies and buy a run to LA, that'll open like 2/3rds of the campaign for easy targeted cheesements. and the missions will load you with lots of mats/money. also hit the zqs as often as possible.

So I checked back, and I do have my warrior (level 7) in post searing ascalon in the charr invasion quests. Prince Rurik is still alive. I'm not very far. Should I just try and play through the game as intended to get to 20, or is there a faster way? Because it seems like the only way to get all 50/50 in the HoM is to be level capped.

Deleted
    I bought the trilogy, so I actually have proph/factions/nightfall. That would be awesome, if you have the time. Let me know what server and I'll make a toon.
    Can't believe no one has pointed this out yet. You need the Eye of the North expansion pack to even get access to HoM in the first place. You don't need to get it right away because you can add your titles/statues etc. later but it comes with some really helpful features such as: more heroes= more mesmers, necros and ritualists for your team. More skills= some of the best skills in the game are acquired in GWEN.

So I checked back, and I do have my warrior (level 7) in post searing ascalon in the charr invasion quests. Prince Rurik is still alive. I'm not very far. Should I just try and play through the game as intended to get to 20, or is there a faster way? Because it seems like the only way to get all 50/50 in the HoM is to be level capped.
    50/50 is REALLY time consuming. I don't know if you will be able to get that far before GW2 is released (unless it is postponed until 2013). I suggest you go for 30/50.

The fastest way to get to lvl 20:
    - play Nightfall until lvl 10 (make sure you have as many heroes as possible unlocked by then.)
    - unlock M.O.X, a lvl 20 dervish hero. He stands in the plains of jarin out side Kamadan. Talk to him to unlock.
    - do the quest "Hole in Istan" given by Bendah in Kamadan
    - walk to the Eye of the north to unlock Gwen (a mesmer)
    - go to Gunnar's Hold
    - do Kilroy Stonekin's repeatable quest: Kilroy Stonekin's Punch-Out Extravaganza!. This solo quest buffs you to level 20 temporarily and is practically impossible to fail. It also give a ton of exp. You should be lvl 20 after an hour.
    - before turning in the quest add a non lvl 20 hero to your party. By doing this you can also lvl your heroes simultaneously.

After lvl 20:
    - Do the Asura quest line to unlock the necro hero, Livia.
    - go to Lions Arch to pick up the second necro hero, Olias.
    - go back to Elona (nightfall) and complete the campaign.
    - when you are done you should have: 3 necros, 2 mesmers, 1 paragon, 2 warriors, 2 dervishes, 3 elementalists, 2 monks, 2 rangers, 1 Razah (can be changed to any profession)
    - Complete the other campaigns
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2011-12-17 at 12:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It takes no time at all to get to max in guild wars. Getting 50 let alone 30 rewards takes a lot of dedication, from the sound of it, you're going to have a lot of trouble. I'd recommend taking a look at http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide...uments_rewards

If not time, it takes loads of plat, I spent over 400 getting only a few final points to get to 30 and I didn't even bother with the titles beyond 30.

So the best way to go about it would be to get to level 20 as I am now, get GWEN, then start racking up HoM points simply because it's easier to do so (not to mention possible) with the expansion?

---------- Post added 2011-12-17 at 03:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    It takes no time at all to get to max in guild wars. Getting 50 let alone 30 rewards takes a lot of dedication, from the sound of it, you're going to have a lot of trouble. I'd recommend taking a look at http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide...uments_rewards

If not time, it takes loads of plat, I spent over 400 getting only a few final points to get to 30 and I didn't even bother with the titles beyond 30.
    Yeah, that sounds ridiculous to me. I'd only try and get to 6 points minimum (The Heritage Armor Set) and 30 points maximum, because that's where the item rewards end.
    Last edited by airea; 2011-12-17 at 09:36 AM.

Deleted
    So the best way to go about it would be to get to level 20 as I am now, get GWEN, then start racking up HoM points simply because it's easier to do so (not to mention possible) with the expansion?
    I've edited my post, read that. Also found this post by Maklor: [Guide] GW1 for newbies

Deleted
    I started GW1 some time ago too. It was one big mindfuck at the beginning ;]. It gets easier after some time though. I got to 17 on HoM points in about a week of play but I just got burned out so badly I don't think I will push any further - at least not in the close future.

I can only recommend you to stick to wiki, it's a real godsend and makes most of the tasks a faceroll. Get all the skills you can for your heroes - actually, they are more important than you. With correct builds you just follow them around and they are doing all the work while you can sip on your coffee.

So yeah, well prepared heroes will get you to 30 point on HoM in no time.

Deleted
    I don't even no where to start. Any tips?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harjkun View Post
    I don't even no where to start. Any tips?
    Just check what Nektar wrote...