Thread: Half-Life 2?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    HL1 was what cliched today's FPS games (things like reloading were rarely used back then). I don't see much good on HL2, unless you like cliched FPS games (which I don't).
    There is something like puzzles, but it all feels as if they were questioning your intelligence :S (or showcasing overrated Havoc).

Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    HL1 was what cliched today's FPS games (things like reloading were rarely used back then). I don't see much good on HL2, unless you like cliched FPS games (which I don't).
    So, you don't like Half-Life because they popularized reloading?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    He didn't have a childhood he didn't know who Sephiroth was...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

10+ Year Old Account
    Half-Life 2 is an amazing game, and like people have said, if you liked the Portal games, you'll love it. They're set in the same universe, same series of events - in Portal, GLaDOS references this by informing you that she is the only one protecting the facility from "them", a veiled reference to the Combine, the bad guys from Half-Life. All of the characters are fantastic and it has a similar sense of quirky humour... And, if you managed to get the Portal 2 achievement "Ship Overboard" by finding the secret drydock, it'll make a lot more sense if you pay close attention to the computer screens in Half Life 2: Episode 2.

The only reason I would suggest not playing the Half-Life games is that it will fill you with an insatiable need for the closure that HL2: Episode 3 is supposed to provide, but has kept us waiting for, like, 4 years now. Whatever you do, don't ask when it's coming out.

Edit: Half-Life: Source is still available on Steam, for about $10.

Edit 2: If you read the short comic about what happened between Portal and Portal 2, you'll see a reference to the Gravity Gun, too.
    Last edited by Tydrane; 2011-12-19 at 10:45 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larath View Post
    He didn't have a childhood he didn't know who Sephiroth was...
    Dont bring turn based JRPGs into this.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Dont bring turn based JRPGs into this.
    FF games haven't been turn-based since NES.

FF games haven't been turn-based since NES.
    They were turn-based all the way to FF9...

It is the best FPS game I have ever played, and probably gave birth to the FPS series as we know it. It is a must buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mtawney1313 View Post
    They were turn-based all the way to FF9...
    Actually, among the main numbered games, 10 was the first truly turn based game. 1-9 Were all ATB based, which meant you could attack as frequently as your speed stat would allow. Combat was done in real time, and if you sat there looking at your commands enemies would just keep on attacking. Only one action could happen at a time, so in that sense it's turn based, but it plays quite a bit differently than a traditional turn based game because the actions run on a first come first served basis.

One could argue that saying FF games aren't turn based is simply hair splitting, and in a sense that's correct. Saying they're turn based though does give a false impression to anyone that hasn't played the games, as they're more likely to assume the games are truly turn based, like Pokemon, Chess, and Cthulhu Saves the World.

On topic: Half-Life=boss. Get it, you'll love it. And while it doesn't contain references to Portal and Portal 2, the Portal games do contain Half-Life references.

DON'T ... it'll make you sooo frustrated because they aren't ever going to release an ending just to spite us!

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    I played it a couple months ago and honestly I don't think it was anything special. I am sure for it's time it was a very good game, but today I just wasn't impressed with anything because many of the shooters today have done the same thing and done it better in some cases.

The graphics are good enough to where it shouldn't bother you too much, but the setting is just so depressing. There isn't a single bright place in the game which was something I didn't like.

As for the story I didn't think it was that great either. Although, I may have had a greater appreciation for it if I had played the first one or kinda did some research on the universe.

Overall, if you want to play it then play it. While it didn't blow me away, it was enjoyable enough for me to get through it. Also, I've heard that the episodes are much better, so I might try those sometime.
    You play HL2 AFTER playing newer games, then try and compare it with newer games?

Depressing setting? Did you take notice of what was happening in the game, were you expecting bright open meadows with flowers? Play the episodes, there's lots of open space in Ep2.

The story and characters behind the game are amazing, it's definitely one of the most immersive (if not the most) shooters I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Actually, among the main numbered games, 10 was the first truly turn based game. 1-9 Were all ATB based, which meant you could attack as frequently as your speed stat would allow.
    This is also wrong. 1-3 are entirely turn based. You made 4 commands for your characters, then all your characters and all the enemy characters got their turns, speed/class would determine the order, but you only got one per round.

4-9 were all pure ATB, meaning your speed would make your gauge fill up quicker.

FFX wasn't traditionally turn-based. Traditional being D&D (everyone gets one turn per round). It didn't have rounds, and people with high speed (like Tidus) might get multiple turns in one round. And when using certain moves, you would get your next turn sooner. It listed the order of all the turns, so it was kind of turn based, but very different from what has always been the definition (via D&D and the original 3 FF games).

FF11 was totally real time, like WoW. As was 12.

ANYWAY

Less FF discussion on here. Stay on topic.

This is also wrong. 1-3 are entirely turn based. You made 4 commands for your characters, then all your characters and all the enemy characters got their turns, speed/class would determine the order, but you only got one per round.

4-9 were all pure ATB, meaning your speed would make your gauge fill up quicker.

FFX wasn't traditionally turn-based. Traditional being D&D (everyone gets one turn per round). It didn't have rounds, and people with high speed (like Tidus) might get multiple turns in one round. And when using certain moves, you would get your next turn sooner. It listed the order of all the turns, so it was kind of turn based, but very different from what has always been the definition (via D&D and the original 3 FF games).

FF11 was totally real time, like WoW. As was 12.

ANYWAY
    12 was a combination. It worked weird.

OT: It's been a game I've always wanted to try, but have never had the opportunity to.

Deleted
    Not really that was just example why was HL1 any good, as it added something new on table. But it also began era of heavily scripted, but gameplay rather dull FPS games. Most formidable foes were replaced by swarm of weak homanoids - as if you were playing Quake 2 where you don't get better weapon than your blaster, but rarely ever encounter anything else than basic soldier. The game tries to balance between realism, immersion and story, like most of FPS titles out there today. In many aspects Half Life built ground for games like Call of Duty. Oh and I'm not saying it's bad, just that I don't like it.

Deleted
    I remember playing Half-life 1 when I was a child... so much good memories, the half-life saga has been very important in my life, I have even though of tatoo'ing the lambda sign.

Play HL1 first if possible, you'll need it to understand HL2's world.

Deleted
    Half-life.. maybe old but worth it, spened lots of time on it, HL 2 whel its fun but found it bit disapointing, never regret it tough, there xmas deals on Steam I suggest you wait it off buy hole valve pack for a nice price

Portals was idd fun, portal 2 humour is just awsome, IF LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS! :> oh yeah

Valve games are good to bad they cant count to 3 :>
    Last edited by mmoc4355941797; 2011-12-21 at 11:54 AM.

Not really that was just example why was HL1 any good, as it added something new on table. But it also began era of heavily scripted, but gameplay rather dull FPS games. Most formidable foes were replaced by swarm of weak homanoids - as if you were playing Quake 2 where you don't get better weapon than your blaster, but rarely ever encounter anything else than basic soldier. The game tries to balance between realism, immersion and story, like most of FPS titles out there today. In many aspects Half Life built ground for games like Call of Duty. Oh and I'm not saying it's bad, just that I don't like it.
    I played many a FPS games long before this and have to say i found no problem with HL2, in fact i see it and its predecessor one of the best singleplayer story games period. At the time HL2 was also a demonstration of what was to come gaming wise with the new source, engine, adding gravity and physics not seen in other games, which becomes apparant by the puzzles [ stacking cinder blocks anyone?" And im one to ussually nitpick at games but this one its hard to find flaws in except for the fact my orange box disc seems to have disappeared dammit XD.

The game tries to balance between realism, immersion and story, like most of FPS titles out there today. In many aspects Half Life built ground for games like Call of Duty. Oh and I'm not saying it's bad, just that I don't like it.
    So you'd prefer a game that's unrealistic, mindless killing, and virtually no story?

Isn't a new Serious Sam out?

Gotta be honest, I think this game is really really overrated. Its not bad at all, its well worth 10$ I'd say but I always hear people proclaim it to be the best fps ever made but I never even felt close to that. Hell, I never really felt it to be anything more than 6-7/10.

I beat the game in around 5 hours, and throughout the entire thing I just felt like it was dragging on. The physics engine is neat for the first little bit but to me it really lost its appeal quickly. The guns consistently felt weightless, the story felt.... well to me I felt it was just boring, and I never felt a real sense of challenge. I bought it expecting alot due to all its hype, but in the end I found it just to feel like another FPS with a small amount of platforming and huge emphasis on its physics mechanics.

Like I stated earlier, I'm not saying in any way that the game is bad, especially for being released in 2004 its a solid game. For 10$ I'd pick it up, it will give you at least 1 day of entertainment.