Page 1 of 51
... LastLast

[5.0 Edition] The Druid Soloing Guide

Much of the information in this front page is out of date. Boss links and item drops from raids can still be used, but specialization/talent guides and boss kills are months behind. Check thread posts for more up-to-date information and discussion.

Hello and welcome to the druid soloing guide!

If you've killed something that's not on the list, please post about it and I'll add it in. The more information you can give, the better. If you think I've made a mistake somewhere, or would like to suggest a better way of doing a boss, feel free. I've been wrong in the past, and I'd like this guide to be as accurate as possible.

Now, let's get started!

Specializations and Talents

Presumably, you know the basics of your spec. So, this section will focus on differences while soloing.
    I'm not going to be playing resto for anything but gimmick fights. I won't be writing up anything for it, but if it becomes popular somehow, I could add in something for it.

Guardian
    "Takes on the form of a mighty bear to absorb damage and protect allies."

Important Abilities:

Vengeance: Causes you to gain AP from taking damage. The exact functions of this are a bit complicated, but basically the more damage you take, the more AP you'll have. When incoming damage is high, this will also determine the healing you get from Frenzied Regen.

Frenzied Regeneration: While not specific to Guardians, it is the only spec that will be using this ability often. This is your primary use of rage as a guardian while soloing, so bind it somewhere easy to reach.

Savage Defense: Part of a bear's mitigation toolkit. This suffers in solo play because it competes with FR. Still, it can be useful when you have too much rage (e.g. during berserk), or if there's some sort of dodgeable debuff (such as halfus's MS effect).

Tier 15 2-piece bonus: This makes SD a more interesting choice. Roughly speaking, it's worthwhile against any multi-target boss (think Shannox with his 2 dogs), and quick-swinging bosses. It's still not useful against bosses with significant unavoidable magic damage, so just because you have the bonus doesn't mean you need to use it.

Soloing notes:

The tank spec for druids. As the description implies, this spec will be focusing mostly on bear form, providing higher armor and better survivability than the other specs. Vengeance also makes it an offensive force in bear form, something other specs can't say.

This spec is also flooded in cooldowns. Get used to using them. There's almost nothing that you can't survive as long as you have the cooldowns you need available.

Guardian is far and away the best choice against bosses that melee for significant damage. The armor benefit and sustainable healing from FR are too good to pass up, and the high incoming damage brings its DPS up to par. It may not be the best choice for lower levels of incoming damage, but then again, those bosses are usually not the most difficult either, so it should work just fine.

This will be my main spec this expansion, and likely the main spec I'll be using for soloing. Expect most of the bosses to focus on Guardian soloing.

Gearing:

I'm favoring a high RPS/DPS build (i.e, Hit/Exp(15%) caps and crit) for the increased healing and shorter fights.
    Agility is pretty good as a DPS stat since you aren't necessarily swimming in vengeance AP (like you would be in a raid), but it's still not that great for survival.
    Stamina increases FR heals when below a certain level of vengeance. As far as I've seen, you're typically above that level of vengeance if you're getting killed. So I probably wouldn't stack this unless I needed it to survive a mechanic I want to soak for vengeance, but I appreciate having it on gear.

In general you just want high Ilvl stuff. Just about any stat you can get will help close the gap between incoming damage and the amount you can heal with FR.

Talents:
    Green: Recommended
    Yellow: Situational or Acceptable substitutes
    Red: Not recommended

T15: Feline Swiftness and Wild Charge are both good choices. Pick whichever suits the fight better, or just whichever you prefer.
    Displacer Beast is a good escape, but removes all vengeance and rage, and requires 2 gcds to use (1 to use, 1 to shift back). Use only if it's valuable, not a good general-purpose talent.

T30: Nature's Swiftness is the most versatile, however its healing is only competitive with Renewal, while costing GCDs and being weaker burst. Primarily useful for the utility spells you can instant cast, and not the healing.
    Renewal is off the GCD, and works well with bear's higher HP and Might of Ursoc. It does have a long CD, though.
    Cenarion Ward in 5.2 is a very strong heal. It's worth by far the most HPS of the tier, however its GCD cost lowers its usefulness a bit. Still a strong talent.

T60: Incarnation is a good defensive and offensive CD, and a shorter CD taunt can be situationally useful.
    Force of Nature can taunt some bosses, and can be very handy on occasion for stacking debuffs or if pets are useful. They're worthless against bosses immune to their taunt, though.
    Soul of the Forest is a small, passive RPS increase. Compared to Incarnation, it's just not that great.

T90: Nature's Vigil is a very strong healing CD, while also being a strong offensive CD. The 5.2 buff makes this even more valuable for any soloer.
    Heart of the Wild gives a decent passive buff, but its on-use is situational. It can be handy for some fights, so keep it in mind, but NV is better for most situations.
    Special note HotW cat is exceptionally good solo DPS (particularly with agility procs/potions/etc.), and makes this talent very good for farming older raids where bosses die in about a minute.
    Dream of Cenarius is absolute crap for bears. Amounts to a 30% increase to your T30 talent.

T45 and T75: Pick whatever you want. If you see some talent being useful for a certain boss, go for it.

Feral
    "Takes on the form of a great cat to deal damage with bleeds and bites."

Important abilities:

Predatory Swiftness: Provides a chance for a free, usable in form, instant cast spell whenever you use finishers. The main way for cats to keep themselves alive while solo, as it allows for a good amount of mana-free healing.

Glyph of Cat Form: Not really a spec ability, but it's the mandatory glyph for Cat soloing. It increases all of the healing that you do by 20%, except in those situations where you can safely drop Cat Form to heal.

Glyph of Ferocious Bite: Also a very good glyph. If you're having survival issues, use it.

Might of Ursoc: It exists, and it's a quick heal for 30% of your health (you get to keep the health when leaving bear form).

Soloing Notes:

When solo, Feral plays much like it would normally. The only real changes are A: you're forced to be in front of your target, and B: you're going to want to spend PS procs on healing touch on yourself, as part of staying alive.

I don't really have much to say about Feral atm. It feels about as good as Balance; which is best will more likely come down to preference, which is better for a specific encounter, or which you have better gear for.

Compared to Balance, Feral is going to do better DPS against harder hitting bosses. This is pretty obvious, since it spends less time healing. However, it can't really cast heals effectively, so its HPS is going to be pretty strongly capped at what you can do with PS/glyphs/L30 talents, where Balance might be able to spike its HPS up higher and better react to the boss fight.

Compared to Guardian, it's better DPS at low incoming damage, but capable of surviving much less.

One nice thing to note is that
    Incarnation+Prowl will actually drop you from combat. If a fight's turning south, you can get into stealth and reset it without dying. It's a handy little perk for people taking Incarnation.

Gearing:

Agility>all, looks like. Agility seems to be the top DPS stat atm, while also buffing up your healing, and your dodge (not well, but it's something). Otherwise, secondary stats look fairly balanced in terms of DPS, so I'd pick anything but Mastery (since it's the only one that doesn't allow extra finishers). I'd imagine normal raid gearing is perfectly acceptable, though.

Talents:

T15: Feline Swiftness, Displacer Beast, and Wild Charge are all good choices. Pick whichever suits the fight better, or just whichever you prefer.
    Roughly speaking, FS for large, constant movement, DB for escaping melee range, WC for getting back to melee range.

T30: Nature's Swiftness is the most versatile, while still being worth a solid heal. It also gives 2 charges of DoC.
    Renewal is off the GCD, but feral has free GCDs. Not affected by glyph of cat form. It's a larger heal than NS, but available half as often, and does not give DoC charges.
    Cenarion Ward is a strong heal in 5.2, making it the #1 choice for HPS. It still does not give DoC charges, however.

T60: Soul of the Forest gives energy on finishers, thus allowing more attacks and more finishers. More finishers means more PS procs and more healing. Overall a good talent, both offensively and defensively.
    Incarnation is an ok burst CD, particularly against enemies above 80% health. If burst is all you care about, take it. It also allows for prowl to be used in combat as a way to vanish and reset a fight gone bad.
    Force of Nature summons treants that can stun. They do fine offensively, but outside of the stun they aren't effective defensively. Good if you want a temporary pet for some mechanic, otherwise I'd recommend SotF.

T90: Dream of Cenarius will buff every heal you cast. Without doubt a strong talent for long-term healing, while still having offensive benefit.
    Nature's Vigil on a short CD is very powerful. Not quite as good for berserk burst anymore, but still a strong talent for high-damage phases, and now usable twice as often!
    Heart of the Wild gives a decent passive buff, but not to the level DoC does. It's on-use can be powerful though, especially considering it buffs the heals you'd be casting anyway. Useful if you can put the on-use to work, otherwise not great.

T45 and T75: Pick whatever you want. If you see some talent being useful for a certain boss, go for it.

Balance
    "Can take on the form of a powerful Moonkin, balancing the power of Arcane and Nature magic to destroy enemies at a distance."

Important Abilities:

Eclipse: It's everything to a boomkin in a raid, so it should be no surprise that it plays a large role in boomkin soloing. Eclipse affects how much damage you can do. Eclipse is your primary source of mana regen. Eclipse gives a short haste buff that can be used for improved damage or healing. You'll need to keep track of your eclipse meter, and you need to keep it cycling if you want to be capable of any respectable damage or healing.

Astral Communion: Used to "pre-pot" an eclipse, preferably right before the pull so you benefit from the 15% haste buff as well. Also useful to force an eclipse during downtime in a fight (for mana regen, mostly), or to cycle eclipses without dealing damage (to set up burst before switching phases, for example).

Glyph of the Moonbeast: Moonkin form is far too important to drop every time you need to heal. You're going to be casting heals very often when soloing as a Balance druid, so this glyph is mandatory.

Might of Ursoc: It exists, and it's a quick heal for 30% of your health (you get to keep the health when leaving bear form).

Soloing Notes:

The ranged DPS spec for druids, which alone makes it a good choice for certain encounters that have particularly melee-unfriendly mechanics (think striders on Vashj). Since 5.0, it's also become capable of pretty strong healing, and it's actually capable of sustaining that healing for quite a while, unlike Feral or Guardian. Unfortunately, healing as balance interrupts your DPS, so its DPS output against hard-hitting bosses suffers.

A typical boss fight will consist of face-tanking a boss while healing through its damage and DPSing whenever you find the time. DPSing is important, as each time you reach an eclipse state you regain 35% of your mana. Keep in mind that Balance is actually capable of DPSing from range, and decent DPS on the move, so kiting a boss is an option.

Another important aspect of Balance solo is the high burst it is capable of. If one phase of a boss is particularly dangerous, it's probably a good idea to have an eclipse ready for that phase (preferably lunar atm), and try and burn through that phase as quickly as possible, using Barkskin for pushback protection and damage reduction, as well as Celestial Alignment and Incarnation (if you have it) for the extra damage. At 90, with Nature's Vigil available, this should become even more powerful as you're recieving heals from the damage you do.

Get used to your health bouncing around a lot. You can heal well, but you're lacking in damage reduction.

Gearing:

To come later.

Talents:

T15: Feline Swiftness is my personal favorite, I found it generally more useful for getting around and kiting.
    Wild Charge is on the GCD in moonkin form, making it a bad disengage. If you like it, don't let me stop you from taking it, I just don't like it.
    Displacer Beast is a good escape, but costs two GCDs to use (one to use, one to shift back). Use it if an escape is needed or helpful.

T30: Nature's Swiftness is the most versatile, while still being worth a solid heal. It also gives 2 charges of DoC.
    Renewal is off the GCD and is a sizable heal, but it's only available every 2-minutes.
    Cenarion Ward is the prime choice for HPS. does not give DoC charges, but is worth more healing than NS overall.

T60: Incarnation is a very strong burst DPS CD. Works very well with other CDs to give balance some serious firepower every 3 minutes.
    Soul of the Forest
    makes eclipses cycle faster. It's handy for mana conservation, and is an ok DPS increase.
    Force of Nature summons treants with wrath. They're ok, and with Balance struggling to find time to DPS between heals can be good for DPS. I wouldn't take them unless pets work well with the fight, though.

T90: Dream of Cenarius can buff most heals you cast, as well as your DoTs which make up a large portion of solo DPS.
    Nature's Vigil times well with Balance's other CDs (incarnation and celestial allignment) allowing very high burst every 3 minutes. Now usable twice as often for extra healing goodness.
    Heart of the Wild gives a decent passive buff, but not to the level DoC does. It does have a good on-use, buffing the heals you'd be doing anyway, but unless you can put that use to good work, I wouldn't take it.

T45 and T75: Pick whatever you want. If you see some talent being useful for a certain boss, go for it. I personally like typhoon+Ursol's Vortex, since it allows easy AoE kiting.

LIST OF BOSSES

Note: This list is primarily tailored to Guardian specced druids. If you want to know about a particular boss for the other specs, make a post here.
    Unless otherwise mentioned, bosses are done on their easiest difficulty.

TL;DR VERSION
    Vanilla: All bosses killable
    Burning Crusade: All bosses killable
    Wrath of the Lich King: All bosses killable on 10N, most on 25.
    Cataclysm: BWD: 4/6 (all but Maloriak, Nefarian)
    BoT: 4/5 (all but Sinestra)
    Tot4W: 2/2
    Firelands: 6/7 (all but Ragnaros)
    DS: 3/8 (Morchok, Yor'sahj, Zon'ozz)

"Easy"
    Bosses should not pose a significant challenge. You may wipe if you don't know mechanics, but otherwise you should be able to do them consistently.
    "Medium"
    Bosses should take some time to figure out how to deal with the mechanics. They should take some effort and probably a few wipes to learn, but should be consistently doable when you've figured it out.
    "Hard"
    Bosses are several steps above the rest. They may take a specific gearing strategy or spec, or simply are above and beyond in terms of dps and survival (read: gear) requirements. They may also have significant RNG components to them. Expect many wipes while learning and executing these bosses.
    "Filler"
    Either I don't know or I haven't updated it yet.

Obviously an "Easy" Ulduar boss will be harder than an "Easy" MC boss. However, if you're doing the instance in appropriate gear, neither should take many wipes or much effort. Bosses that are in between are listed as such. If you feel my recommendations are off, feel free to let me know.

Vanilla

Molten Core
    Loot: Bindings of the Windseeker - Garr
    Bindings of the Windseeker - Baron Geddon
    Eye of Sulfuras - Ragnaros

Lucifron
    Easy
    His curse is awful. Be sure to get rid of it.
    Magmadar
    Easy
    Gehennas
    Easy
    Also has a curse, may as well just remove it.
    Garr
    Easy
    Shazzrah
    Easy
    Also curses.
    Baron Geddon
    Easy
    Glyph of Grace FTW. We no longer need fear fall damage!
    Golemagg the Incinerator
    Easy
    Sulfuron Harbinger
    Easy
    Majordomo Executus
    Easy
    Ragnaros
    Easy
    Glyph of Grace FTW. We no longer need fear fall damage

Blackwing Lair
    Loot: Elementium Ingot - Blackwing Technicians: Material for Thunderfury

Razorgore the Untamed
    Easy
    Channel in bear form (for the armor). Kill eggs and put any nearby dragons to sleep. If you're dying: Drop channel and aoe. If he's dying: Drop channel and heal (to pull threat). Renewal is a good burst of threat if needed.
    Vaelastrasz the Corrupt
    Easy
    DPS race. You are given infinite rage/energy/mana.
    Broodlord Lashlayer
    Easy
    Tank by the gate to avoid suppression debuff.
    Firemaw
    Easy
    Ebonroc
    Easy
    Heals for 25k upon landing a melee swing.
    Flamegor
    Easy
    Chromaggus
    Easy
    Getting all 5 afflictions at once MCs you.
    Nefarian
    Easy
    He forces you into Cat form often, so be ready.

Ruins of Ahn’Qiraj

Kurinnaxx
    Easy
    General Rajaxx
    Easy
    Moam
    Easy
    Buru the Gorger
    Easy
    Ayamiss the Hunter
    Easy
    Stay at max range and cast to bring her down.
    Ossirian the Unscarred
    Easy

Temple of Ahn’Qiraj
    loot: Red Qiraji Resonating Crystal and several other AQ-only mounts - trash mobs

The Prophet Skeram
    Easy
    Battleguard Sartura
    Easy
    Fankriss the Unyielding
    Easy
    Princess Huhuran
    Easy
    Vek'lor & Vek'nilash
    Easy
    DPS check. Easy at 90. Make sure to only attack the one you can damage (melee for feral/guardian, caster for Boomkin). Before they die, hit the other one to get loot for both (re-tag them if they teleport, it drops threat).
    C'Thun
    Easy
    In the stomach, kill both flesh tentacles, then kill the main boss.
    Bug Trio: Yauj, Vem, Kri
    Easy
    Yauj first, as she heals.
    Viscidus
    Easy
    First, bring him to 1 health. Then, do frost damage with something (elemental force enchant, Brunnhildar Harpoon, etc). Finally, get in cat form and melee/mangle it while frozen.
    Ouro
    Easy

The Burning Crusade

Karazhan
    Loot: Fiery Warhorse's Reins - Attumen the Huntsman

Servant Quarters
    Easy
    Simple tank and spanks, all 3.
    Attumen the Huntsman
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank
    Moroes
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank
    Opera Event
    Easy
    If you get Romeo and Juliet, make sure to kill them at the same time.
    Maiden of Virtue
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank
    The Curator
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank
    Chess Event
    Medium
    A bit RNG. Keep your king out of fire. Just resets if you lose, you don't die.
    Terestian Illhoof
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank
    Shade of Aran
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank
    Netherspite
    Easy
    Intercept the green beam. Alternatively, pull him out of the room, or pull him in the back and intercept all 3.
    Nightbane
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank
    Prince Malchezaar
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank

Gruul’s Lair

High King Maulgar
    Medium
    Burn the Healer and Warlock first, then finish the rest.
    Gruul the Dragonkiller
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank

Magtheridon’s Lair

Magtheridon
    Easy
    Tank him up against a wall to avoid evade bugging

Serpentshrine Cavern

Hydross the Unstable
    Easy
    Move him away from his start if damage gets too high.
    The Lurker Below
    Easy
    Avoid the spout, or suffer the long swim back to the fight.
    Leotheras the Blind
    Easy
    It's not too hard to kill him before demon phase, or at least before demon phase stacks its cast too much.
    Fathom-Lord Karathress
    Easy
    Don't have a mana bar. It might even be smart for balance to do this in bear. Burn Caribdis first.
    Morogrim Tidewalker
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank
    Lady Vashj
    Medium
    Balance Only. Stay away from striders. Make sure water eles don't reach her too often, but a few stacks won't hurt.

Tempest Keep, The Eye
    Loot: Ashes of Al'ar - Kael'thas Sunstrider

Void Reaver
    Easy
    Spams a silence. Casters beware.
    Al'ar
    Easy
    I think flame quills is still dangerous. If he's flying to the center, jump down.
    High Astromancer Solarian
    Easy
    On trash: Kill MC'ing mobs (center mob in patrols) quickly to prevent the packs from resetting
    Kael'thas Sunstrider
    Easy
    Loot and use the legendary staff. Prevents most CC in phases 3 onward.

The Battle of Mount Hyjal

Rage Winterchill
    Easy
    DnD is %health based. Move out fast, and don't hesitate to cast heals to survive.
    Anetheron
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank. Try to reduce incoming damage to lower his healing (use SD).
    Kaz'rogal
    Easy
    Simple tank and spank.
    Azgalor
    Easy
    I would avoid pets just in case he decides to cast doom on you.
    Archimonde
    Easy
    Don’t let him near the tree or he’ll reset.

Black Temple
    Loot: Warglaive of Azzinoth, Warglaive of Azzinoth - Illidan Stormrage

High Warlord Naj'entus
    Easy
    Kill him before he raises his shield. Simple at 90. Bring a DPS spec.
    Supremus
    Easy
    Tank&Spank.
    Shade of Akama
    Easy
    Kill the adds channeling on him, then him.
    Teron Gorefiend
    Easy
    I would avoid pets, just in case he decides to use his 1-shot ability.
    Gurtogg Bloodboil
    Easy
    Tank&Spank
    Reliquary of Souls
    Easy
    For phase 2: Watch your health, and interrupt spirit shock when able.
    Mother Shahraz
    Easy
    Silences. Boomkins beware, and ferals be ready to fight her with limited healing (it's still easy for feral though).
    The Illidari Council
    Easy
    Interrupt heals. Kill whichever you prefer, they share health.
    Illidan Stormrage
    Easy
    After the glaives phase, burn him quickly to avoid a demon phase.

Sunwell Plateau
    Loot: Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury - Kil'jaeden

Kalecgos & Sathrovarr
    Easy
    Kill Dragon, Kill Demon. Light DPS check on demon. You can still skip.
    Brutallus
    Medium
    Kill him before Meteor Slash becomes too hard to heal.
    Felmyst
    Easy
    When she flies into the air, avoid her breath fly-bys.
    Alythess & Sacrolash
    Easy
    If a debuff is stacking too high, take some damage from the other element (fire/shadow).
    M'uru / Entropius
    Easy
    Just kill him.
    Kil'jaeden
    Easy
    Just kill him.

Wrath of the Lich King

The Obsidian Sanctum
    Loot: Reins of the Black Drake - Sartharion (3 drakes alive, 10 man)
    Reins of the Twilight Drake - Sartharion (3 drakes alive, 25 man)

Sartharion
    Easy
    ~40k DPS needed on 10 for 3 drakes. Kill drakes (Shadron especially) for an easier fight. Preferably bring a DPS spec
    Tenebron
    Easy
    Don't enter portals
    Shadron
    Medium
    Must kill him before his portal spawns if alone. Slightly larger DPS check than just doing Sarth+3d
    Vesperon
    Easy
    Don't enter portals

Naxxramas

Anub'Rekhan
    Easy
    Glyph of Grace ftw. Avoid Locust swarm.
    Grand Widow Faerlina
    Easy
    Tank&Spank. Kill a disciple if she frenzies.
    Maexxna
    Easy
    Try to heal when not poisoned. FoN may work to drop it temporarily.
    Noth the Plaguebringer
    Easy
    Tank&Spank. Try and kill him before he ports away to save time
    Heigan the Unclean
    Easy
    Ignore the dance, the aura is easily healed through.
    Loatheb
    Easy
    Tank&Spank. Heal whenever the aura fades.
    Instructor Razuvious
    Easy
    Berserk for a rage boost when you first start dropping low.
    Gothik the Harvester
    Easy
    Just kill him.
    The Four Horsemen
    Easy
    Three will drop quickly to berserk. The fourth is easily healed through.
    Patchwerk
    Easy
    The original patchwerk encounter. Not surprisingly, a tank&spank.
    Grobbulus
    Easy
    Very easy.
    Gluth
    Easy
    FoN may be able to reset his debuff. If not, nitro boosts work. Slight DPS race.
    Thaddius
    Easy
    Remember to kill Feugen and Stalagg at the same time.
    Sapphiron
    Easy
    Move out of blizzard. If you feel like it, that is.
    Kel'Thuzad
    Easy
    Tank&Spank. Watch out for fissures.

The Eye of Eternity
    Loot:Reins of the Azure Drake, Reins of the Blue Drake - Malygos (10 or 25)

Malygos
    Easy
    Phase 3 rotation: 1-1-2-3 repeat. Rest is a light DPS check.

Vault of Archavon
    Loot: Reins of the Grand Black War Mammoth (and alliance equivalent) - All bosses.

Archavon the Stone Watcher
    Easy
    Just DPS him. Very simple.
    Emalon the Storm Watcher
    Easy
    Just DPS him.
    Koralon the Flame Watcher
    Easy
    Move out of fire. CD through his meteor fists.
    Toravon the Ice Watcher
    Easy
    Immune to Treant taunts. DPS race against his stacking debuffs.

Ulduar
    Loot: Fragment of Val'anyr - any 25-man Boss. HM drops more.
    Mimiron's Head - Yogg+0. 25 only.

Flame Leviathan
    Easy
    Spam Pyrite from a demolisher.
    Ignis the Furnace Master
    Easy
    Point him into the water. If you're getting overwhelmed, point him away and shatter golems.
    Razorscale
    Easy
    Drag her to the friendly dwarves in phase 2. She'll switch and attack them when she stuns you, however, Lacerate and Thrash will pull threat while you're stunned. Be careful not to have either bleeds or HoTs up when you're about to reach 5 stacks in p2, or she will target you while you're stunned and kill you.
    XT-002 Deconstructor
    Easy
    A few CDs during tantrums are all you need.
    Assembly of Iron
    Easy
    Steelbreaker first makes for an easy fight.
    Kologarn
    Easy
    Easy. 2nd easiest to kill on 25, Leviathan being the first.
    Auriaya
    Easy
    Burn the sanctum sentries quickly.
    Freya
    Easy
    Don't let the big tree silence you; get under mushrooms in that phase. Kill the groups of 3 adds all together, or they'll respawn.
    Hodir
    Easy
    When he casts flash freeze, move out of the big circles, then get back on top of the snowdrifts that spawn. Otherwise, you die.
    Mimiron
    Easy
    Rockets still one-shot. In p4, all parts must die together. The head can be reached with AoE moves like thrash or swipe, as well as berserk.
    Thorim
    Easy
    Video: The iron dwarf can also be pulled with a pet trinket like Vanquished Clutches of Yogg-Saron, or possibly with treants.
    General Vezax
    Easy
    Move out of shadow crash puddles, as they reduce healing. If you don't want HM, kill one of the crystals early.
    Yogg-Saron
    Easy
    AoE constrictor tentacles (swipe, thrash, shrooms, probably starfall). In phase 2, go for the corruptor tentacles first. We can't dispel their dangerous casts (Apathy, Black Plague). Do the brain room quickly, killing the brain in 1 phase. Then mop up remaining tentacles in p3.
    Feral or Balance is most likely superior to Guardian here.
    Algalon the Observer
    Medium
    If your debuff reaches 5, you wipe. Once you get to around 31s with 4 stacks, get in cat and start kiting with dash. Continue running and using speed boosts until it drops.
    Otherwise burst hard. He does hit pretty hard on DPS specs, so be careful if you're in one. For Guardian, HotW burst can be very helpful.

Trial of the Crusader

Northrend Beasts
    Easy
    FoN can soak Impale stacks. Try to kill Acidmaw before he submerges.
    Lord Jaraxxus
    Easy
    Be sure to kill those portals/volcanoes if doing it on heroic.
    Faction Champions
    Easy
    50% Mortal Strike, CCs, Interrupts, heals, etc. Try and blow one or two up early, it'll make the whole thing much easier.
    Twin Val'kyr: Fjola & Eydis
    Easy
    Don't panic if they heal, it's pretty easy to DPS through that. Interrupt if you can, of course.
    Anub'arak
    Easy
    Don't panic in P3. Yes, Leeching swarm heals him, but it's hardly enough to worry about. Don't let yourself drop too low on health, or you'll be dead next time he freezes you.

Icecrown Citadel
    Loot: Invincible's Reins - The Lich King (25-heroic).

Lord Marrowgar
    Easy
    Tank&Spank. FoN will probably get you impaled and killed.
    Lady Deathwhisper
    Easy
    Dispel curses. Kill any and all adds that spawn as soon as they spawn.
    Gunship Battle
    Medium
    Deathbringer Saurfang
    Easy
    Savage Defense is good here. It limits his Rune of Blood healing. Use it as much as you can without dying.
    Festergut
    Easy
    Video. Use FoN to soak stacks, and kill him before you reach 10. Much easier DPS check at 90.
    Rotface
    Easy
    Tank&Spank.
    Professor Putricide
    Easy
    Tank&Spank. Mechanics just don't happen when you're alone. I wouldn't risk FoN.
    Blood Prince Council
    Easy
    Only attack the one with health. They melee pretty hard, so DPS specs beware.
    Blood-Queen Lana'thel
    Medium
    She will bite you if you're alone, so expect a serious DPS check (with pretty much guaranteed survival).
    Valithria Dreamwalker
    Medium
    You have to heal her to full. HotW and a caster weapon is very handy here.
    Sindragosa
    Easy
    Heroic Video. Heroic will require cooldowns for her air phase.
    The Lich King
    Easy
    Heroic Video. Engineering is actually not necessary, it's possible to just tank the phase 1 adds and kill them without plague. It's a bit fun to heal through, though.

The Ruby Sanctum

Baltharus the Warborn
    Easy
    Tank&Spank. Unless he hits too hard, in which case bug his pathing.
    Saviana Ragefire
    Easy
    Tank&Spank. Time to heal if needed when she flies off. You can dispel her enrage.
    General Zarithrian
    Easy
    Wreck him with HotW, or just tank&spank.
    Halion
    Easy
    Pick a realm, and DPS him. If you push him into the other realm too much (~30% corporeality) switch realms and DPS in the other. The DPS check is not rough even without much of a DPS buff, even being doable at 50% (normal) corporeality.

Onyxia's Lair
    Loot: Reins of the Onyxian Drake - Onyxia (10 or 25)

Onyxia
    Easy
    Melee AoE abilities can reach her while she's flying.

Cataclysm

Baradin Hold

Argaloth
    Filler
    Filler
    Occu'thar
    Filler
    Filler
    Alizabal
    Filler
    Filler

Bastion of Twilight

Halfus Wyrmbreaker
    Easy/Hard
    If slate is active, he can be pretty tricky, requiring good use of Savage Defense and the drake's stun to keep stacks low/drop them, and having a decent berserk timer depending on the other drakes active. Without slate? He's a joke.
    Valiona and Theralion
    Easy
    Against Valiona: CD for Blackouts, and constantly move around if shadow bolts are an issue. Against Theralion: Move out of fire. Easy, just takes ~44k DPS.
    Twilight Ascendant Council
    Hard
    Ignacious+Feludius: Don't stand close to Glaciate, either interrupt rising flames or run away to avoid the supercharged flame torrent. Bring both below 25% together with NV+Berserk, and you should be able to bring both to around 21-22%.
    Terrastra+Arion: Easy to survive, mechanics can be ignored without much risk. Bring terrastra to ~37%, Arion to ~26-27%, then wait for harden skin to cast. Burn Terrastra while it's active, and you can bring him well below 25% (17% on my kill).
    Monstrosity: Hold off on CDs as long as you can, damage ramps up the longer this goes. Move him so the puddles don't grow too big, and burn him fast.
    (Ilvl: 486)
    Cho'gall
    Hard
    Also a gearcheck encounter, done at 498. Unless significantly overgeared, you'll likely get 3 blood phases before 25%. Use Thrash, SD, typhoon, berserk, whatever's at your disposal to not reach 25 corruption until the 3rd blood phase.
    Finally, after the 3rd blood phase, wait for corruption to tick up to 100, then Inc+NV and burn Cho'gall down as far as you can. NV will heal you despite being at 100 corruption. Kill any eyestalks that spawn, but otherwise burn Cho'gall as quickly as possible.
    video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4onvNJms7Us
    Sinestra
    Filler
    Filler

Blackwing Descent

Magmaw
    Easy
    Easy enough, just make sure you're facing him when he mangles you, or the head can be behind you while you're being eaten. You can just stay away from him between mangles, the head phases+initial phase should give you enough time to kill him before berserk.
    Omnotron Defense System
    Easy
    Tank and Spank, mostly. Don't trigger the shields, move them out of power conductors, and stay out of poison clouds.
    Maloriak
    Filler
    Remedy is going to heal him. A lot.
    Atramedes
    Easy
    His trash is harder. The left side is easy, for the right side; HotW and destroy the execution sentence guy. The rest will gain the ability, but it does not 1-shot, and with all 3 casting it at once, you won't die to the stun.
    Chimaeron
    Medium
    Or random might be a better difficulty setting. Kite as much as you can in between melee swings; if you delay his attacks long enough, he'll only do 1 double attack per massacre, and it'll be much easier to survive.
    NV is required, make sure it's available for the final 20%, as its healing will ignore mortality's 99% reduction. Renewal, LotP, and MoU can all also be used for healing in this phase.
    Nefarian
    Filler
    Filler

Throne of the Four Winds
    Loot: Reins of the Drake of the South Wind - Al'Akir (10 or 25)

Conclave of Wind
    Very Hard
    ~510 ilvl minimum. Basic strategy is to alternate killing Anshal and Rohash while whittling Nezir down in the meantime. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZ9L0jpbPE
    Al'Akir
    Easy
    Free mount shot if you can kill Conclave

Firelands
    Loot: Flametalon of Alysrazor - Alysrazor (10 or 25)
    Smoldering Egg of Millagazor - Ragnaros (10 or 25)
    Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest - All Bosses (Quest)

Shannox
    Medium
    Not too bad with 490+ilvl. The bleed is friendly fire (I don't know why either) so no vengeance. Faerie Swarm on Riplimb+Feline Swiftness work well to reset the bleed, though using a speed boost to get away from Shannox before Rip sprints back is strongly recommended. I found every other spear throw was good timing for resetting the bleed.
    Ideally push him below 30% with NV+Berserk+SD while the dogs are nearly dead (so that berserk will kill them). The dogs will enrage, giving extra vengeance, and NV+Berserk will heal through that easily. It's just tank&spank from then on.
    Beth'tilac
    Medium
    When no one's downstairs, Drones bug and stay in the corner, and spiderlings stay by them. Before phase 2, you want all spinners down, and Beth nearly dead. One way to do this would be taunting all 6 of the first spinners, tanking upstairs through the first devastation, and hopping down during the 2nd devastation with Incarnation up to taunt the remaining 12. Whatever you do, just make it happen.
    It may be a good idea to jump down for the last spiderling spawn as well. Depending on where they spawn, Beth can eat some of them before they make it to the corner.
    Beth herself is not too dangerous. It may help to use CDs for widow's kiss, but that's it.
    Alysrazor
    Easy
    Balance Video (pre 5.0, but the strategy should still work). Consider HotW for the tornado phase healing.
    If she's despawning on you, that means she got out of combat during Molting. Stay close to her at all times and constantly be attacking her. On the first set of feathers in the fight, wait until the last one to get your 3rd stack.
    Lord Rhyolith
    Medium
    Turning can be challenging. It'll take quite a few attempts to nail down what you are and aren't capable of doing while turning. Meanwhile, letting a volcano shoot at you is devastating, so you need to be quick about hitting them.
    Gets much easier with gear.
    Baleroc
    Hard
    I'd recommend getting 25 stacks from alysrazor before pulling.
    Killed post-berserk at ilvl 500. A gearcheck with significant RNG in blade selection and dodge luck.
    Decimation blade gives more vengeance the more HP you have for it, and the more CDs (barkskin, SI) used, though they don't reduce its damage. It still might be best just to use SD and hope to dodge them, however. Decide whether you can survive and soak them for vengeance or need to dodge them whenever you get them.
    Majordomo Staghelm
    Hard
    ~510 ilvl, but the major requirement is the t15 2piece bonus. It eventually devolves into backing up while spamming AoE moves and alternating SD to gain stacks/FR to use them.
    Oh, and he hurts. My average FR heal was 239k
    Ragnaros
    Filler
    Filler

Dragon Soul
    Loot:
    Reins of the Blazing Drake - Madness of Deathwing (10 or 25)
    Life-Binder's Handmaiden - Madness of Deathwing (10 or 25, heroic only)
    Experiment 12-B - Ultraxion (10 or 25)

Morchok
    Medium
    ~500 ilvl. He's a jerk because he uses sunders, and bears are weak to sunder . Avoid stomps if you need to, but not so often that you hit berserk.
    Yor'sahj the Unsleeping
    Easy
    Free loot if you can kill Morchok. Don't blow all CDs on any one combo, none of them are dangerous enough to need that.
    Warlord Zon'ozz
    Medium
    Primary challenge is the DPS timer. Be sure to bounce the ball, trying for 10 stacks every time. Should be easy with NV now usable on every ball. Doable if you have the gear to kill Morchok.
    Hagara the Stormbinder
    Filler
    Filler
    Ultraxion
    Filler
    Filler
    Warmaster Blackhorn
    Filler
    Filler
    Spine of Deathwing
    Filler
    Filler
    Madness of Deathwing
    Filler
    Filler

Mists of Pandaria

Will be dungeon runs for mounts, and any raids that are so poorly designed we can solo them while they're current!
    Last edited by Braindwen; 2013-11-15 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Starting to edit for 5.2

Very nice guide. The solo guide demands maybe not so big, but worth a sticky if you ask me.

Wow, amazing guide. Very good indeed. Sticky this for sure. Imaginative and well written/organized.

Nice guide. How you tried Onyxia?

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Nice guide. How you tried Onyxia?
    Forgot it existed, actually.
    Gave it a shot, it's doable. Boring... but doable. Couldn't find a way to hit her with anything but aoes or faerie fire in p2, so that phase took like 9-10 minutes on its own.

Updating the list .

Kael and Malygos are medium-easy?

I tried Malygos and his damage was insane. I was forced to go bear for most of it and vortex was almost negating LB ticks meaning i'd only get Rejuv and LB big heal which is like 1-2 hits from Maly. I found the sparks thing awkward and was unsure if it's critical that you stack them. P2 i was taking barrages for 12k I think fairly often and it was too much in the end.

Kael's advisers I killed. But the whole juggling weps to reduce pyro damage whilst trying to interrupt his fireballs, kill his phoenix, heal yourself and then actually dpsing him was just crazy. It was too much for me in the end.

Granted I was using pure PvE cat spec for Kael and a tank spec for Maly (prolly why low heals). I might try your suggested spec but i'm looking for some solid tips before I try again. I think a lot of people will be interested in Kael and Maly for mounts and the nice polearm so it's worth making a good guide to them if you have the time. I'm item level 384 and Malygos just baffles me and Kael I can see is doable but I need a solid strategy cus it seems chaotic.

Definitely get Nurturing Instinct, it's very important for Kael. If you start having issues surviving, just run away. He'll only ever damage you with pyroblast if you do (fireball will be out of range), and you can just spam instants, switching to mace for pyro. It'll take a while, but you'll be able to heal to full and get your cds back.

As for maly, the damage is only threatening if you're forced into cat too often. If you only ever go cat just before vortexes and for scions, it shouldn't be too bad. NI is good here too for the vortexes, makes your ~10-15k from lifebloom/rejuv into 20-30k+. Only issue should be doing phase 1 quickly enough to beat the berserk, which will be easy if you can get sparks down. Post-vengeance change should be even easier. Still, since sparks are an actual mechanic to deal with (and take some time to learn), I should bump him up to medium at least, in fact I may be under-rating several wrath bosses since I've done them a bunch .

Edit: Yay for posting and editing while healing LFR!
    Last edited by Braindwen; 2011-12-18 at 06:35 AM.

About Onyxia. Is it possible to put IS + MF on her and redo after they are gone. It takes 3sec to do it and it will help a lot on dps, right?

Also question about KT. I can survive adds ( waves + weapons ) but when he revives them and buffs them i get killed every single time. Mage just gets me stunned all the time until im dead. My gear ( feral ) is not best but i have 196K health, 36% dodge....
    Last edited by markos82; 2011-12-18 at 04:56 PM.

I have a question about High Astromancer Solarian in TK. How did you get past the trash in the room constantly MC'ing you? I bet I could do the boss if I could get past the trash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    "Imba"
    I literally want to Kitten Filled Hugs people in face and smack a Soft Swan-dive Pillow up their little bottoms when they use that word. It sounds just rather weird.

Fixed that for you. Please refrain from going a bit "too far" with your language.
    I love mods

Quote Originally Posted by FourDoorsDown View Post
    I have a question about High Astromancer Solarian in TK. How did you get past the trash in the room constantly MC'ing you? I bet I could do the boss if I could get past the trash.
    Slap on DPS gear and specces. Burn the mob that MC you quickly, you have like 8-10 secs. Have Tigers fury up for every pack if your not sure about burst.

Deleted
    Just me having problem with KT in the Eye? Been soloing for a while, then night after 4.3 went live, was gonna kill him again, suddenly was taking 50k fireblasts in face, and no it wasn't pyroblast >.> and seem'd to cast fireball much faster again after interupted him.. Ended up getting my lil kitty ass owned.. >-< Anyone else having problem with it, or just me? =p

Edit: Also, sticky! Great guide ;}
    Last edited by mmocdd5aa2def9; 2011-12-18 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feline Grace View Post
    Just me having problem with KT in the Eye? Been soloing for a while, then night after 4.3 went live, was gonna kill him again, suddenly was taking 50k fireblasts in face, and no it wasn't pyroblast >.> and seem'd to cast fireball much faster again after interupted him.. Ended up getting my lil kitty ass owned.. >-< Anyone else having problem with it, or just me? =p

Edit: Also, sticky! Great guide ;}
    Well I never got hit for 50K, but I got pawned Dont know hot to survive p3??? when all adds are revived with 230K HP. That mage is killing me every time, cant get to him in time to kill him/her.

Well I never got hit for 50K, but I got pawned Dont know hot to survive p3??? when all adds are revived with 230K HP. That mage is killing me every time, cant get to him in time to kill him/her.
    You have to position her so you are in a corner where she can't knock you out of melee range. I personally find this the hardest part of the fight. If I actually get to Kael, the rest is cake.

Make sure to loot the legendary staff. You'll need it equipped, and you'll need to use it again after it's equipped. That'll make you immune to the stuns and disorients in that phase (everything but the fear, really), and will make it much easier to kill them in time.
    Stealing Willie's work again to give an idea of what to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5QTVj16Kf0

Edit: just did Kael again to check, didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Recorded it so what I say can actually start making sense. If you do the strat right you can avoid ever fighting more than 1 advisor at once, and can take p4 (100-50% on kael) nice and slow to make it safe, not to mention skipping p5 (50-0% on kael) in its entirety. Video should be up shortly, and I'll link it in his strat.

edit again:
    About Onyxia. Is it possible to put IS + MF on her and redo after they are gone. It takes 3sec to do it and it will help a lot on dps, right?
    Just checked it, without a caster weapon IS+MF is about 2k damage total. It's somewhat sad how little they do in feral spec . With a 384 caster staff on, they jump to about 9k total, which is just a tad over Bear-FF, and less than kitty swipe. Probably not worth the weapon swap.
    Last edited by Braindwen; 2011-12-19 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Braindwen View Post
    Forgot it existed, actually.
    Gave it a shot, it's doable. Boring... but doable. Couldn't find a way to hit her with anything but aoes or faerie fire in p2, so that phase took like 9-10 minutes on its own.

Updating the list .
    Thanks for hint on Onyxia, I was almost sure that its impossible to kill her as feral.

---------- Post added 2011-12-19 at 08:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    Kael and Malygos are medium-easy?
    Just get yourself a little bit more gear. I'm farming Malygos solo since I was in 372 and it was REALLY tough, close to impossible, but now, in 395 its just total faceroll. I take close to no damage, I kill him before second air phase and I don't even have to use frenzied regeneration and shieldwall.

Kael is all about right positioning, if you can't kill it than you probably doing something wrong. Watch videos, try to put adds differently, maybe closer or further from each other. Don't forget to use legendaries, they help like a lot, but recently I was able just nuke everything down. Burst first add, full dots on second - and it will die while you run in fear, than just kill two others in bear form, switching to cat when possible. Don't try to do this in bad gear so
    Last edited by traen; 2011-12-19 at 08:03 AM.

Deleted
    Huh, guess I just had bad luck in some way... I'll have to try it again before reset..

Also, heres a good video about Kael soloing, been using this strat all the time when soloed him;

Rage Winterchill is such a pain, chaining 4 deep freezes in to putting up a DnD on top of a fresh deep freeze. Insta-wipe and "Unable to zone in while an encounter is in progress" because the boss is figthing the NPCs...

After 10 minutes I was forced to do a soft reset. Trash again, here we go!
    Last edited by Zheryn; 2011-12-20 at 10:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    When you play a video game, you don't put any "effort" into it at all. You're pushing keys on a keyboard, you're not running a marathon or playing a sport.

Think about adding tactics for heroic bosses that drop mounts.
    For me and a lot of other players the only reason to kill anything solo is an apportunity to get mount.

Slabhide in The Stonecore is soloable. Mount drops in both normal and heroic modes - Reins of the Vitreous Stone Drake. Just kill him in bear form.

Altairus in The Vortex Pinnacle is sloable. Mount drops in both normal and heroic modes - Reins of the Drake of the North Wind. Use cat form, keep rejuv and 2-3 stacks of lifebloom on you and use PS procs to instant heal yourself with HT.

High Priestess Kilnara in ZG should be soloable in better gear. Drops Swift Zulian Panther.

Bloodlord Mandokir in Zul'Gurub drops Armored Razzashi Raptor. I'm not sure that he will ever be soloable due to fight mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Zheryn View Post
    Rage Winterchill is such a pain, chaining 4 deep freezes in to putting up a DnD on top of a fresh deep freeze. Insta-wipe and "Unable to zone in while an encounter is in progress" because the boss is figthing the NPCs...

Nice guide brain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X5ZRNOq_Js
    This vid might help you if you are having issues w/ ragechill

Quote Originally Posted by Zheryn View Post

Heh, admission time. I hadn't ever actually done Hyjal, so I was just going off what others say . One helpful tip I forgot to mention was bringing a PvP trinket along, it can help if he tosses DnD on you while blocked.
    I'd definitely not do Rage without NI. Wiped once to it because I couldn't heal enough in between DnD casts, but switched to my DPS spec and killed it next try easily.

Think about adding tactics for heroic bosses that drop mounts.
    For me and a lot of other players the only reason to kill anything solo is an apportunity to get mount.

Slabhide in The Stonecore is soloable. Mount drops in both normal and heroic modes - Reins of the Vitreous Stone Drake. Just kill him in bear form.

Altairus in The Vortex Pinnacle is sloable. Mount drops in both normal and heroic modes - Reins of the Drake of the North Wind. Use cat form, keep rejuv and 2-3 stacks of lifebloom on you and use PS procs to instant heal yourself with HT.

High Priestess Kilnara in ZG should be soloable in better gear. Drops Swift Zulian Panther.

Bloodlord Mandokir in Zul'Gurub drops Armored Razzashi Raptor. I'm not sure that he will ever be soloable due to fight mechanics.
    Good idea, I'll get em up tomorrow if I get around to it... or tonight if I can't sleep. Done Stonecore and VP so those should be easy, gonna give Kilnara a try . Maybe see if Mandokir decapitates a loner too: BTW, altairus takes like 2 minutes at worst in bear form , and that's pre-vengeance buff. Mashing buttons is a little tedious i'll admit, but I'll take the easy kill.

Mandokir decapitates you if you're alone, ends the fight right then and there. Impossible to solo unless you kill him in like 15 seconds . Kilnara, meanwhile... well I dunno. Maybe I'm approaching the fight wrong, but it didn't look like it was happening. Would manage to get all the cats down and then die to her, while just zerging her I'd get her to around 60-70%. Ferals've never been good at soaking magic damage while soloing. Could be doable if she decides not to lash of anguish for whatever reason.

Ok, raids should have their mount drops added. If I missed something (I only listed stuff from soloable bosses, fyi) let me know. May do pre-cata non-raid mount runs at some point in the future.
    Last edited by Braindwen; 2011-12-20 at 12:29 PM.