Flash plugin using too much CPU usage

I just reformatted and I'm trying to watch a LoL stream, but the flash plugin is taking 35%-45% of my cpu usage. Before my reformat, I don't remember it being so high...I googled this and there seems to be quite a lot of talk about Firefox 8 dropping the ball on performance. I downgraded to Firefox 7 but the problem persists.

Any ideas?

Win7x64
    Duo Core E7200
    Firefox but I tested in IE and Chrome as well
    Flash 11 with hardware accel off

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A 1080p flash video can still use a lot of cpu power especially at higher frame rates. Can be very noticable on older processors. Is it just that video? Or does it happen on say youtube videos as well? Do you have the most recent flash installed?

now if you have the problem with hardware acceleration turned on there is definitely something wrong with the software.

Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    A 1080p flash video can still use a lot of cpu power especially at higher frame rates. Can be very noticable on older processors. Is it just that video? Or does it happen on say youtube videos as well? Do you have the most recent flash installed?

now if you have the problem with hardware acceleration turned on there is definitely something wrong with the software.
    I just tested it on Youtube with 720p, same thing. I really did not notice this before I formatted. I was playing a game, with Pandora, and a 720p stream running with no in-game lag.

I don't think it's just the video. I do have the latest flash installed. If I turn on hardware accel in flash, I just get a green screen

10+ Year Old Account
    sounds like something didn't install properly. Were you able to use hardware acceleration before the reformat?

I would uninstall flash and the video card drivers, and reinstall them. Drivers first.
    Does device manager show all hardware is installed properly?

sounds like something didn't install properly. Were you able to use hardware acceleration before the reformat?

I would uninstall flash and the video card drivers, and reinstall them. Drivers first.
    Does device manager show all hardware is installed properly?
    I believe I was able to use it before I formatted.

I'll try reinstalling drivers/flash

edit: nope, exactly the same :[

could it be some setting in my graphics card cp? i looked around, nothing seemed out of the ordinary
    Last edited by Creatinebrah; 2011-12-17 at 02:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Likely you were able to use hardware acceleration before and now you can't. Green screen flash is a common AMD/ATi problem.

Install a different set of AMD/ATI catalyst drivers. For example, if you're using 11.12 now, uninstall it all (through the windows control panel) and install 11.11 or 11.10. Or possibly the other way around.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a tough one then. the only thing I can think of that might affect it in the cp is video over lay options.

Best I can suggest is to double check that all hardware drivers are installed and up to date, and all software is up to date including windows updates.

Just curious, why did you reformat? Were you having other problems. Sometimes hardware problems can be reincarnated differently with installs.

I have never seen the green video on my ati cards. But definitely worth a try
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-12-17 at 02:28 PM.

That is a tough one then. the only thing I can think of that might affect it in the cp is video over lay options.

Best I can suggest is to double check that all hardware drivers are installed and up to date, and all software is up to date including windows updates.

Just curious, why did you reformat? Were you having other problems. Sometimes hardware problems can be reincarnated differently with installs.

I have never seen the green video on my ati cards. But definitely worth a try
    Had a 'failed' HD which is magically working again. Had a poweroutage few days ago. I'll be permanently replacing this current HD.

Would that be causing it somehow?

edit: http://solomid.net/livestream.php?s=7 if you watch that (without popping out and no other tabs up), how much is firefox or plugin_container using?
    Last edited by Creatinebrah; 2011-12-17 at 03:09 PM.