Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Profession Selection Advice

I currently am playing a shadow priest in World of Warcraft and am very interested in moving to Guild Wars 2 when it finally is released. The only problem is, I can't make a decision on what class i want to play! Help! The following are things I enjoy in the characters I play:

-Capable of high damage output
    -Damage>Control/Support
    -Pets are a plus (Not a fan of micromanaging though)
    -Aesthetically pleasing spells, aka flashy spells or attack effects
    -Moving around a lot is not one of my strong points, as I am used to being a ranged class in WoW
    -Prefer to use bows,staves,maces, or swords
    -Reaction isn't my strong suit (as I'm used to mindless WoW rotations)
    -Along with shadow priest, I also enjoy elemental shamans and balance druids
    -Aside from all of the above, I don't want a laughably simple rotation that will put me to sleep (aka arcane mage)

10+ Year Old Account
    Elementalist?

Stood in the Fire Stealthedbear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a caster would be better for you, they are usually more flashier. If not elementalist, maybe a mesmer? (They get phantasms which could be pseudopets)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivey View Post
    -Damage>Control/Support

-Moving around a lot is not one of my strong points, as I am used to being a ranged class in WoW

-Aside from all of the above, I don't want a laughably simple rotation that will put me to sleep (aka arcane mage)
    Just to clarify even if you know some of this already-

Pretty much everyone is going to expect you to control/support everyone else at some point or another no matter what class you play.

Reacting is going to have to be a strong suit for everyone in this game, but I think you should adapt to it without too much trouble, people said they did within half an hour when they played the convention demos.

There won't be any rotations at all. What you choose to do is based on reacting to your surroundings.

But yes, I would also suggest Elementalist as your first class.

Strikes me as Necromancer.

Honestly though, that's pretty vague, and we don't really know enough about the GW2 professions to really recommend you one. Things like rotations are far ahead of the stage we're at.

Ranger is also a possibility- ranged, uses a bow, pets. Not sure if it will fulfill your needs for "flashy spells" as the Necro would though.

As for Necro vs Elementalist, I would roughly (very roughly) equate them with Warlock and Mage, respectively.

I would recommend watching the class videos, if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    Just to clarify even if you know some of this already-

Pretty much everyone is going to expect you to control/support everyone else at some point or another no matter what class you play.

Reacting is going to have to be a strong suit for everyone in this game, but I think you should adapt to it without too much trouble, people said they did within half an hour when they played the convention demos.
    I'm definitely aware of this, just kind of intimidated (I guess would be the word) as I don't move around much currently unless mechanics call for me to do so. Also, as a shadow priest I don't offer much support or control aside from mind control and maybe the occasional psychic scream. My buffs are negligible, as I don't normally have to cast them mid-battle. Thanks for the suggestion!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crabsmack View Post
    Strikes me as Necromancer.
    Good point actually.

Quote Originally Posted by crabsmack View Post
    As for Necro vs Elementalist, I would roughly (very roughly) equate them with Warlock and Mage, respectively.

I would recommend watching the class videos, if you haven't already.
    Yeah, I've seen all the profession videos. Just having difficulties deciding what would work best for me. I agree with the "very roughly" a warlock and mage.

2mif: Why necro over elementalist?
    Last edited by Ivey; 2011-12-18 at 02:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then again, have you considering something completely different than you're used to?

I played a Rogue for 4 years in Wow, and never rolled an alt over level 20 because I preferred to spend my time mastering one class than being ok-ish at many. But for GW2 instead of playing a Thief I decided to start over, forego everything I know, and play an Engineer. I'm already enjoying playing GW2 in my mind by coming up with new strategy and tactics of how I can use my skills to counter other classes skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Then again, have you considering something completely different than you're used to?

I played a Rogue for 4 years in Wow, and never rolled an alt over level 20 because I preferred to spend my time mastering one class than being ok-ish at many. But for GW2 instead of playing a Thief I decided to start over, forego everything I know, and play an Engineer. I'm already enjoying playing GW2 in my mind by coming up with new strategy and tactics of how I can use my skills to counter other classes skills.
    The sad state many of us are in unfortunately.

2mif: I'd like to branch out and have even been possibly considering playing guardian, as it seems very versatile but also allows for pretty sufficient ranged damage. I've tried playing all classes in WoW past around level 60 or so. I may try other classes for GW2 but I feel like I mostly stick to what I know and like, which is why my main is still my shadow priest, and not a rogue. Thanks again for the input though. I may mess around with many of the profession types but I'm just really trying to get a general idea of what I'm going to spend my time on the most, as it looks like mastery of a profession will take some time and dedication.

10+ Year Old Account
    2mif: Why necro over elementalist?
    It has minions, which are pets that don't require management, and it has a lot of flashy spells (death shroud, lich form).
    Last edited by Mif; 2011-12-18 at 02:34 AM.

I currently am playing a shadow priest in World of Warcraft and am very interested in moving to Guild Wars 2 when it finally is released. The only problem is, I can't make a decision on what class i want to play! Help! The following are things I enjoy in the characters I play:

-Damage>Control/Support
    I don't have a good answer for you, but I should warn you: GW2 is about as far from WoW as you can get, while still playing a fantasy MMO.

-All classes will be capable of similar levels of damage output.

-Damage = Control/Support. You'll be expected to heal yourself, debuff your targets, and support what your teammates are doing, regardless of your profession. Hell, you'll have to do that if you play solo.

-Rangers have the more traditional pet. Necromancers use their pets as cannon fodder. Neither is wholly reliant on their pet (no BM hunters here, for example)

-Though there is certainly a variance in spell effects, every profession looks at though it uses magic as far as effects go, be it Warrior, Engineer, or any other prof.

-Doubletapping your movement keys isn't much of a choice, it'll be a necessity. Physical/Caster attacks can/should be dodged. kiting or circling (or retreating) is important.

-Twitchiness improves under duress. You'll grow accustomed to reacting. You're not going to be watching castbars, you'll be watching for a dragon's rearing head.

-Rotations will (more than likely) be nonexistent. What weapons you equip, spells you use, range you fight from vary based on what others in your group are doing.

As every class can play ranged, it shouldn't be too difficult to find one (or more) that suit you well.
    Last edited by Acquiesce of Telara; 2011-12-18 at 02:51 AM.

Deleted
    Choose a caster, Elementalist, Necromancer or Mesmer.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are expecting this game to be like wow. You won't be able to play it with your current mindset. I'd highly recommend reading over the wiki and some blog posts on gameplay.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://www.arena.net/blog/

I played a shadowpriest for 5 years and I feel with everything you said you preferred I would go with the mesmer they have illusions kind of like pets and I would imagine you don't have to micromanage them at all. The only thing is you would have to move around a lot but then again you will have to move around a lot as any profession in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    -Damage>Control/Support
    - Everyone will pretty much do the same damage.
    - Every profession has the capability to do all three of those roles.
    - Ranger IS like a BM hunter. They've already stated that your pet will be an important part of the profession itself. So I would say Necro or Mesmer, but Mesmer is more melee and Necro is more caster.
    - Everyone has these, even the melee classes!
    - So every profession but Engineer.
    - If that's true, I wouldn't expect you to live long in Guild Wars 2. You have to heal, buff, debuff, and just about do a barrel roll to get somewhere.
    - Caster, caster, caster!
    - There are no rotations, nor "cookie-cutter builds" in Guild Wars 2. Everyone and everything is viable.

So from answering all this, I would have to say Necromancer.

But you WILL be accountable for yourself. No one will be there to heal you much other than some folks throwing out AoE support heals which are minor. You will have to use your Heal ability button (#6) more than once usually during fights (especially bosses/DEs/PvP). So you can lean on anyone to do your job for you. No man is an island in this game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreverlad View Post
    I don't have a good answer for you, but I should warn you: GW2 is about as far from WoW as you can get, while still playing a fantasy MMO.

-All classes will be capable of similar levels of damage output.

-Damage = Control/Support. You'll be expected to heal yourself, debuff your targets, and support what your teammates are doing, regardless of your profession. Hell, you'll have to do that if you play solo.

-Rangers have the more traditional pet. Necromancers use their pets as cannon fodder. Neither is wholly reliant on their pet (no BM hunters here, for example)

-Though there is certainly a variance in spell effects, every profession looks at though it uses magic as far as effects go, be it Warrior, Engineer, or any other prof.

-Doubletapping your movement keys isn't much of a choice, it'll be a necessity. Physical/Caster attacks can/should be dodged. kiting or circling (or retreating) is important.

-Twitchiness improves under duress. You'll grow accustomed to reacting. You're not going to be watching castbars, you'll be watching for a dragon's rearing head.

-Rotations will (more than likely) be nonexistent. What weapons you equip, spells you use, range you fight from vary based on what others in your group are doing.

As every class can play ranged, it shouldn't be too difficult to find one (or more) that suit you well.
    ACTUALLY, rangers are VERY reliant on their pets... Since it's their core prof mechanic if they don't have their pet out their going to be significantly worse then with it... That being said i'm pretty sure the damage would be more 50/50 with the ranger and his pet then the normal 90% pet 10% you shit from most other games...

@Ivey, from what you said in your opening post it sounds like you'd want necro, they (as well as everyone else) have flashy spells, they'll probably be able to play somewhat like Spriests with all the conditions they can inflict and such, and they can summon mindless minions that kinda run around destroying things...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    ACTUALLY, rangers are VERY reliant on their pets... Since it's their core prof mechanic if they don't have their pet out their going to be significantly worse then with it... That being said i'm pretty sure the damage would be more 50/50 with the ranger and his pet then the normal 90% pet 10% you shit from most other games...
    I stand corrected then. While I knew the pet would be a worthwhile companion for the ranger, I was under the impression the ranged attacks, spirits and traps would provide the majority of Ranger DPS with a pet responsible for some control and, in a sense, D.O.T.s. Obviously, I had the wrong impression. Thanks for the correction.

Deleted
    Hard to tell, we don't know much about damage outputs etc.

But I see your playstyle, so I'll recommend elementalist or necromancer, maybe the latter suits a bit better.
    But I'd really suggest to look around a bit and do some research.

If you don't like moving around, well... you'll have to learn it.
    The combat in GW2 is way more dynamic, you can dodge spells and arrows etc.
    Standing still will not end well. :P