10+ Year Old Account

Nuclear Dawn Free Weekend / Steam Sale

As it winds down to the end of its Steam sale and 48 hours F2P, I'm wondering did anyone else take the time to download and try out "Nuclear Dawn"?

I give it about a 6.5 out of 10
    The graphics aren't horrible, but are far from cutting edge.
    The gameplay was notably clunky (especially while playing a stealther and trying to backstab an enemy)
    The over all concept was interesting. RTS mixed with FPS, similar to that one game I wont bother naming, that ripped of Starcraft and Starship Troopers

If you got the chance to demo it, what were your thoughts? Would you buy it? Would you play again if it were to to open up and become free again, or even became a F2P with micro transactions style game?
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

Deleted
    Great idea, utterly awful reality. You get a bad commander it's game over basically. So one guy can literally ruin the entire game, pretty damn hard to do that in any FPS game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Great idea, utterly awful reality. You get a bad commander it's game over basically. So one guy can literally ruin the entire game, pretty damn hard to do that in any FPS game.
    Hmm yeah, I can agree with that. I noticed the Consortum lost quite a few games due to us having a crappy commander.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orodoth View Post
    Hmm yeah, I can agree with that. I noticed the Consortum lost quite a few games due to us having a crappy commander.
    Honestly Commander should only be available to people who have played a certain number of games etc etc.

Deleted
    I really don't like mixup of RTS/FPS. If I play RTS, I want to control EVERYTHING. In mixup, you really can't be sure, if your troops follow orders.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a decent game, it has it's fault certainly and there are a considerable number of bugs existing still, but I found it to be enjoyable. Some maps favor the Consortium though just because of the way they are laid out and the fact that power relay systems require line of sight for the other faction.

Deleted
    I was gonna try it but another game sucked me away all weekend (Damn you Anno 2070 why you so addictive?!) it looks ok could be fun however it looks like it took the game mode idea from Natural Selection tbh (well thats the first game i know that have the rts/fps mixed in one game mode) now thats a realy fun game sadly havent played it for years.

I tried it, and dropped the $14 or w/e to buy it after a couple of plays...

I think this game shows that there's a viable genre for this RTS/FPS hybrid... but sadly, this game isn't the realization for it.

The crippling factor is that there ISN'T a seamless blending of RTS & FPS. The simple fact that there is only ONE commander who plays the RTS game highlights the shortcoming. If you get stuck with a bad commander, its gameover.

In a more realized version of the hybrid, you could have multiple RTS players working in concert with the FPS, preferably with some sort of ranked priority to award leadership to the experienced players.

As a FPS, I found it more balanced then most. Its clunky at times, but unlike most FPS games, I find myself changing roles depending on the stage of the game, and where we appear to be falling behind on the map.

Losing some nodes, grab a stealth and run around harrassing the enemies. Going toe to toe with some entrenched enemies, time to take out the heavies and some siege weaponry.

I'm actually *hoping* this game actively develops itself thru the DLC route though, as it will bore me pretty quickly otherwise.

I think the game would benefit more from some singleplayer/offline play though. If only to provide some training for Command that doesn't make for a rough game for the rest of your team. (yeah, I tried command once... it wasnt pretty)

Quote Originally Posted by Orodoth View Post
    The over all concept was interesting. RTS mixed with FPS, similar to that one game I wont bother naming, that ripped of Starcraft and Starship Troopers
    Just wondering, would you mind naming it? I honestly can't think of a game that ripped them off at the moment... Although I am VERY tired and I'll more than likely know the second I read it come tomorrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SageKalzi View Post
    Just wondering, would you mind naming it? I honestly can't think of a game that ripped them off at the moment... Although I am VERY tired and I'll more than likely know the second I read it come tomorrow.
    Battleswarm: Field of Honor... Its fun for the first game or two, after that....ugh

Never even heard of it. Lol. Ty for the response.

Deleted
    As a FPS, I found it more balanced then most. Its clunky at times, but unlike most FPS games, I find myself changing roles depending on the stage of the game, and where we appear to be falling behind on the map.
    This was one of the things I found pretty cool about the game, just bought it and played for a few hours and I'm definitely not disappointed in the purchase. Switching between the kits felt pretty natural and I didn't feel like I needed to just focus on one weapon but rather go for what suits the situation as the positions of the teams is such a big factor in how strong the weapons and classes are.
    Really cool feel in the game and although getting a bad commander could screw you up pretty badly I didn't bump into any idiots and all of them listened when people had suggestions and acted on 'em.
    I'll definitely be playing more.