Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I go through phases with my cooking and the phase I'm on now is Mexican, so buy some Mince meat and Taco shells or Enchiladas (my personal fave)etc, if you're American this may not be as unique for you as it is for me, we don't have Mexican take away foods (Taco bell? Think that's one) where I live, so I only have Mexican food if I cook it. if you do this also make sure you have lettuce and grated cheese and anything else you might want in it. (tomato paste, oxo gravy powder, pepper and mixed herbs are nice to add in with the mince)
    This is more Tex-Mex than legitimate Mexican, but I do it all the time...

First, Chili Powder (makes about 1/2 cup) ...

3 medium ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, torn to bits
    3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded, crumbled
    3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded, crumbled
    2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon dried oregano (pref. Mexican)
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika

In a pan over medium-high heat, toast the chiles and cumin seed, shaking pan frequently, until cumin begins to toast (4-5 minutes).

Allow to cool. Combine everything in a blender and process until you have a powder. Wait a few minutes before opening blender, scrape down the sides if necessary and blend more. Store in an airtight glass container (it will stain plastic).

Second, the Taco Seasoning (also works for soups and stuff) ...

2 Tbsp chili powder
    1 ½ Tbsp corn starch
    ½ Tbsp smoked paprika
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ½ tsp ground coriander
    ½ tsp cayenne (more or less to taste)

Combine all ingredients.

Third, make Tacos!!!

½ medium onion, finely chopped
    1 jalepeno, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
    1 clove garlic, minced (or ¼ tsp garlic powder)
    1 pound ground beef
    1 recipe Taco seasoning (about 4 Tbsp)
    ¾ cup chicken stock (or water)

Saute the onion and jalapeno until softened. Add the garlic. Add the beef and cook until browned. Drain excess fat. Add Taco seasoning and stir to combine. Add chicken stock, bring to a simmer, and reduce to desired thickness (about 5 minutes). Salt to taste.

Serve on tortillas or taco shells with fixings of your choice.

Edit: Also works with chicken or black beans. Use 1.5 pounds sliced and cooked chicken breast or 2 cans drained and rinsed black beans. Add the chicken or beans just before adding the Taco seasoning.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-12-21 at 05:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Somewhere in a large city. Sorry about vagueness, but I try to keep my internet life and real life somewhat divided.
    oh i hear ya. was just messing around anyway.

anybody want a quick and easy way to add a little something different to their normal steak take a cup of brown sugar and add about half a cup of your favorite steak seasoning, mix the two together real well then rub on whatever steak you want to eat(i recommend a delicious ribeye) throw on the grill and cook to your liking(anything over medium is burnt though just so you know) and enjoy. goes well with some sweet potato fries and a good IPA

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by Fogkin View Post
    anybody want a quick and easy way to add a little something different to their normal steak take a cup of brown sugar and add about half a cup of your favorite steak seasoning, mix the two together real well then rub on whatever steak you want to eat(i recommend a delicious ribeye) throw on the grill and cook to your liking(anything over medium is burnt though just so you know) and enjoy. goes well with some sweet potato fries and a good IPA
    Yeah, I highly recommend using brown sugar in marinades or rubs. Helps create a perfectly seared crust on the meat and adds a sweetness that bounces perfectly off other sauces, especially mustard or chile based ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Yeah, I highly recommend using brown sugar in marinades or rubs. Helps create a perfectly seared crust on the meat and adds a sweetness that bounces perfectly off other sauces, especially mustard or chile based ones.
    plus it helps hold the juices in and keeping the meat from drying out. Plus brown sugar just tastes good.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

Obviously way past dinner time for the OP.. but one of my favorite dishes is a fried chicken breast with white country gravy! I always fry my chicken in peanut oil(but vegetable oil works too). I dip the chicken in a milk and egg mixture, liberally coat it in a flour and spices mixture(salt, pepper, paprika.. fun to experiment) and then fry at around 375 degree oil.

White gravy is easy as hell too. Heat up some whole milk and melted butter, slowly stir in some flour and some salt and pepper to taste. Nice thick gravy perfect for throwing on top of the fried chicken! Mashed potatoes and corn on the side for the complete and artery clogging meal!

Yes I am a white ass american with southern roots for cooking(although I am not from the south myself)

Quote Originally Posted by Orgash View Post
    White gravy is easy as hell too. Heat up some whole milk and melted butter, slowly stir in some flour and some salt and pepper to taste. Nice thick gravy perfect for throwing on top of the fried chicken! Mashed potatoes and corn on the side for the complete and artery clogging meal!
    I'd do it a little different. Melt the butter in one pan, heat the milk on low in another pan. Add the flour to the butter and whisk constantly until it just starts to change color (a couple minutes). Add the milk. Keep whisking while it thickens. You now have a roux, one of the French "mother sauces". Hit it with some salt, pepper, and grated nutmeg.

Better yet, use the fat from breakfast sausage or Italian sausage instead of butter. Nom. (Include the sausage itself for kick ass biscuits and gravy).

Add grated cheese and you have Mornay sauce, perfect for Mac and Cheese, Beer Cheese Soup, or other applications (veggie dip!).
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-12-21 at 06:38 PM.

Ha actually that is how I do it. Not sure why I wrote it out like that, had just woken up and this was the first forum post I opened hah. After rereading my post I realize I sound like an idiot haha.

rice pudding with a side order of anchovies.. yum