Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Scarab Lord -Zait-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Supervillain Club: The Dreaming
    Posts
    4,993
    His 100000 mile long sword.

  2. #22
    [QUOTE=Vixene;14701929]Jenova is dead, Sephiroth is controlling Jenova, not the other way round.

    readuponyourff7lorekthx.

    wait... what? Jenova is not dead.... the child is controling the mother?

    Jenova broke out of Shinra headquarters.... Sephiroth just all of a sudden 7 years later just took over a dead Jenova that Shinra had kept locked up? I dont think so

    I havent played the game in a few months so not all is fresh with me, but I dont believe that at all.

  3. #23
    Regardless, it's still one of the greatest villians of all time just due to the fact Jenova/Sephiroth succeeded in killing a main character. Not many villians can say this.
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

  4. #24
    I think it was more the psychological aspect between him and Cloud that has people liking him. Yeah, he didn't go destroy everything (almost did!) but he screwed with Cloud and turned him into a puppet for the most part. It was more interesting than most, at least to me. Kuja didn't really do anything... He was barely even introduced until, what, the end of disc 1? And even then, he was just destroying things willy nilly.

    And unless I'm mistaken, it was Sephiroth controlling the pieces of Jenova to do his bidding. It was certainly Sephiroth who stole into the HQ and tore up the President while stealing Jenova.
    There are so many frivolous things in this world.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by feigning View Post
    I think it was more the psychological aspect between him and Cloud that has people liking him. Yeah, he didn't go destroy everything (almost did!) but he screwed with Cloud and turned him into a puppet for the most part. It was more interesting than most, at least to me. Kuja didn't really do anything... He was barely even introduced until, what, the end of disc 1? And even then, he was just destroying things willy nilly.

    And unless I'm mistaken, it was Sephiroth controlling the pieces of Jenova to do his bidding. It was certainly Sephiroth who stole into the HQ and tore up the President while stealing Jenova.
    hmmm not sure about that... he is considered "dead" and incased in the bubble of materia near the crater isnt he?

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by sef24 View Post
    hmmm not sure about that... he is considered "dead" and incased in the bubble of materia near the crater isnt he?
    That was sort of the idea, though. He had all those "clones" or whatever, that you see in Nibelheim that were doing his bidding, that he was able to control. You could assume that "he" used one of them to break into the HQ and do the deeds.
    There are so many frivolous things in this world.

  7. #27
    Pandaren Monk sam86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    1,943
    Because he is very unique to that time, his intentions were as clear as mud, and as many said, pre-FF7, no one was expecting a character like Aerith dies in video games
    While there is "better" villians after him, most of them are built based on him in a way or other

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by ShayDay View Post
    Kafka > Sephiroth..

    People can say what they want but Kafka changed and ruined an entire world, Sephiroth did not
    In that case Ultimecia is better. She had already taken over the world.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by sef24 View Post

    Even when you fight him at the end of the game, he doesnt say 1 word. The only time a "Sephiroth" talks, is when it is really Jenova!

    So shouldn't Jenova take Sephiroths place as one of the best villians on gaming history?
    It's actually Sephiroths hate and ambition that kinda drives Jenovas ancient magic being power. He is the modivation behind all those Jenova-Sephiroths. Yes, a lot of Sephiroths motivation is to resurrect Jenova and do her bidding, but really it's mostly his interpretation that has warped into his plan. It's kinda cyclical, Sephiroth is trying to complete Jenovas legacy, but Jenova is basically carrying out Sephiroths insane/warped will in the game. They are almost symbiotic as a villain, like Eddie Brock and the symbiote, the symbiote has influence but it was it's combination with Eddie Brock that turned it into "Venom" (not just "the symbiote").

    Meanwhile the "Sephiroth" villain that is the antagonist of the game has several things going for him. He is insane but he manages to do it with a air of control and calmness. He shows several times how insignificant everyone is to him in power and perceived intelligence/logic. He made cool exits and his appearance was awesome. He had a really good story with cloud where he pretended he was insignificant, used him, then was defeated by him and such. His attitude just kicked ass, unfortunately everything FFVII has now been overplayed and like every character he has been spread pretty thin, some good some bad but time has done a number on him.

    Compared to some other FF villains

    Pre-FFVI villains - Mostly Big knight guys, fairly boring or stereotypical (for their time, now it's almost the opposite)
    Kefka - Amazing and interesting antagonist. Also insane but him being a joke for a chunk of the game detracts from his epic-ness sometimes
    Kuja- Just didn't seem like enough. he had the same kinda twisted ambition Sephiroth had but his plan and relative abscence in the story fails to leave an impact. Hes like the child, fuzzy version of Sephiroth.
    Seymor - Just a straight up hate-able villain, and hes not even the main one. I enjoyed killing him but only because I wanted him to end, he never had the "cool factor" (he came closest when he first summoned anima) just the douche factor.
    FFXII Villain - I dunno, one of the judges, I saw the main antagonist of that game being boredom, it won on several attempts.
    Bar-something (FFXIII) - The priesty villain of FFXIII, same as Seymour. I like this game but I know it should have several improvements.
    Last edited by Anonymousgod; 2011-12-18 at 09:41 PM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    In that case Ultimecia is better. She had already taken over the world.
    She also involved time travel, didn't show up for the longest time, and was just generally incomprehensible as a character and a villain. I liked 8's story, but not because it was all that good and definitely not because of her.

  11. #31
    Dreadlord xenaros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    891
    Sephiroth is awesome as a villain because you get to play the backstory of how he became so angry and twisted. You see him go from a hero to a mad man who is lashing out because his life has been a lie, you can emphasize even though he is doing bad things. Compare that to Shinra/Rufus who are evil simply because they crave power, they're boring villains.

    Jenova isn't Sephiroth, Sephiroth went mad on his own, he made them decisions on his own, Jenova does Sephiroth's bidding when he needs it (she fights us to defend Sephiroth). After all, without Sephiroth she'd still be in a giant test tube in the reactor.
    Last edited by xenaros; 2011-12-18 at 09:47 PM.
    The Allies would've definitely lost World War II if the Horde had taken part

  12. #32
    Mechagnome Eace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    689
    Sephiroth was seen, his influence could be felt - throughout the game. Much like Deathwing. Oh wait-

    On a more serious note: Sephiroth was evil, but not your basic "I'm evil 'cause I just happen to be, and the reason I do these things is because I'm evil." He has a story behind him, and a certain amount of mystery in the air around him. It's not certain what's going to happen with him at any point of the game. And that's what most people like, I think. (I know I do.) You just never know their motives or the intentions.

  13. #33
    Have you actually seen him in a fight in Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2? They made him harder than the end bosses.

  14. #34
    Herald of the Titans Irisel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Swimming in a fish bowl
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixene View Post
    Jenova is dead, Sephiroth is controlling Jenova, not the other way round.

    readuponyourff7lorekthx.



    lol /sigh Jenova was dead when she was found, she had only been preserved. Sephiroth was controlling Jenova. Please, go pay attention now. Thank you.

    Jenova was awesome in her own right, with what she was able to do even when dead. Jenova had no part in what Sephiroth did, only the fact of what he had spent months reading and stories he had made him do all this crazy shit. In truth, everything was Sephiroth trying to please Jenova.

    Who was manipulating cloud? Sephiroth. How? Because of being able to manipulate Jenova cells.

    Who was manipulating the 3 brothers in Advent children? Jenova? Nope, it was Sephiroth wanting to be reborn.

    Btw the person who said Seymour (the FF10 Villain)was an exception didn't realise he was a Sephiroth clone (or Kefka clone, depending on your views), so unless your talking about Sin who was just another cloud of darkness, I don't really see your point ^_^;

    Unless you mean Yu Yevon, then yeah..I still dont really see your point.
    In a good way.. you're a nerd.

    Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

  15. #35
    As you play FF7 (from a guy's point of view) and emotionally start feeling as if Cloud was you, as many do, you'd understand.

    You start off as Cloud, you see that Sephiroth was a friend who eventually betrays you. As a player, you actually feel hatred because of him killing your best healing character, and as the embodiment of Cloud, he kills your potential lover. Many reasons to hate him right there. Then, you go through much trouble to kill him at the end. Besides his image, the very incarnation of wisdom, fierceness, and evil...all of the previously listed reasons caused you to hate him much. The aesthetics of the game made you feel as if you, yourself are Cloud. This caused both Cloud and Sephiroth to become famous and infamous, relatively.

    To further add to his infamy, he was the hardest boss to kill in another 2 of the best games of all time; Kingdom Hearts I and Kingdom Hearts II. He was a pain. The feeling of beating him each time was more satisfying than any other kill. It's as if the main storyline had an epic boss battle but they threw him in as a completely seperate, yet somehow connected, important, super challenging boss fight. Especially if, before fighting him (in KH1) you had to destroy Cloud, Yuffie, and much of the FF gang to even get up to him...and none of those fights even compared to Sephiroth's.

    His character aren't just respected by the players but clearly by the developers of these games and the director/producers of the movie that completely understood how Sephiroth made people feel and placed it right into the movie, as we saw him, legendary. A villain. Nothing else.

  16. #36
    [QUOTE=sef24;14702019]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixene View Post
    Jenova is dead, Sephiroth is controlling Jenova, not the other way round.

    readuponyourff7lorekthx.

    wait... what? Jenova is not dead.... the child is controling the mother?

    Jenova broke out of Shinra headquarters.... Sephiroth just all of a sudden 7 years later just took over a dead Jenova that Shinra had kept locked up? I dont think so

    I havent played the game in a few months so not all is fresh with me, but I dont believe that at all.
    and Jenova just decided to break out of Shinra HQ with being locked up in shinra for years and years? and decided to lay dorment when the cetra "killed" her?

    Quote Originally Posted by The story
    However, due to Jenova's cells present in his body, the Lifestream was unable to absorb Sephiroth completely. Sephiroth's will thus traveled the Lifestream learning everything about Jenova, Cetra, the circle of life and eventually formulated a plan to exceed all life and be reborn as a god. Sephiroth began to build a new body for himself in the Northern Cave within the North Crater. At this point Sephiroth's will was stronger than Jenova's, and he could begin to exert his influence on those injected with the Jenova cells, his plan to have them bring the Black Materia to him.

    Five years after the Nibelheim Incident, Sephiroth decides to put his plan into action and takes control of Jenova's main body housed in Shinra Headquarters and it morphs into the shape of Sephiroth. Jenova in Sephiroth's form massacres many people in the Shinra Building including President Shinra. From there Jenova escapes into the outside world.
    Now you know what Sephiroth was doing for 7 years ^_^;

    To the guy above, it was a Sephiroth clone not Sephiroth himself in Shinra HQ when Jenova was "rescused"

    Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    In a good way.. you're a nerd.
    Not sure how, but thank you xD

    But, it's all opinion, some prefer Sephiroth, Some prefer Kuja, some prefer Kefka, just depends on your taste really. I mean personally, Sephiroth went insane and came up with some really diabolical plans to seek revenge on the people who made him what he is, after being known as a hero, one of the good guys and everything else (have you played crisis core, he was a darling in it, while still having part of his obnoxious attitude :P). Plus FF7 was kinda relateable more than the other FF's (my favourite FF of all time, is the one with Cecil in it, 5 I think?) but FF7 just clicked with me.
    Last edited by Vixene; 2011-12-18 at 09:58 PM.

  17. #37
    Herald of the Titans Aqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    2,574
    No idea, I liked Kuja, he was like a wonderful Frankenstein of all the psycho villains who had come before him, poured into one ridiculously overpowered Mofo.


    Sephiroth, just kinda...looked cool? I guess. He was intriguing but knowing that Jenova was kind of pulling all the strings and the show as a whole made him less of a badass and I guess I kinda sympathized with him at times, not really what I want a villain to be, I want him to make mistakes, not be all perfect and then have people around him screw him over, that doesn't make him a villain, that's a victim and a very sad story, he went mad because of what happened to him, FF7 will always have a place in my heart but not as much as 9.


    Kuja was just a hater-poet-psycho-crossdressing weirdo, and he did it wonderfully, I WANTED to kill him (The ending bit was unnecessary, I'm still torn over it, I really think it should have been just left as 'he dies'). Same with Kefka, which is why I liked those two in Dissidia, they meshed so well, it was a joy to watch them try to screw each other over.
    Oh and anyone who thinks they're both childish, that's what adds to the creepyness to me.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2011-12-18 at 10:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savutitus View Post
    Yeah, it's always WAR WAR WAR untill..BY ALL THAT IS HOLY DO YOU SEE THAT ENEMY OVER THERE?? GLORIOUS LOOT!!!!!

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    In a good way.. you're a nerd.
    One thing though..... When you first see "Sephiroth" on the Junon boat, he doesn't recognize you.... how can Sephiroth, if he was controlling Jenova not know the person who killed him

  19. #39
    Mechagnome holz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    717
    Kefka > All
    srsly dude destroyed the world

  20. #40
    I personally praise Gandondorf just as much as Sephiroth, in the bad guy sense. I'd love to see Link and Cloud join forces to defeat the reincarnations of Ganon and Seph. Final Zelda I: The Ocarina of Fate. All we need now is for Sony or Nintendo to give way and let one of their major character's be shared. I feel Ganondorf had slightly more precense through-out Ocarina of Time than Sephiroth had...but OoT isn't anywhere near as long as FF7 so it's hard to say exactly.

    Demise from the Skyward Sword is a very...Deathwingy-boss. Generic, kind of an ignorant fool. Looks cool, but looks, as we've seen, do not make a villain...they help, but they require more. Aesthetics, lore, mystery, and an awesome weapon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •