Deleted

New computer fast answer please

Is this a good build? Will it fit? Will i need more cooling or a more powerfull Power supply for the overclocked 580? Will i be able to SLI in the future if i uptade some stuff later on? I can get all of this for a really good price atm so it would be really nice if someone could answer as fast as possible.
    Thank you. btw i can get it for around 1000 euro but i will have to decide today! Last day of the sale

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - ATX / Intel Z68 / DDR3 / 2xPCI-E (3.0) / USB 3.0 / SATA 3.0 / Firewire

Cooler Master HAF X

Corsair TX 850W V2 /80+ Bronze

Corsair 8GB (KIT) DDR3 1600MHz/CL9/VENGEANCE

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 580 SOC 1536MB GDDR5, (855Mhz), 2xDVI, HDMI, 16x PCIe, Windforce X3

Intel® Core i5 2500K, 3.3GHz, 6MB

OCZ Vertex Plus Series 2.5" SSD - 60GB

Seagate 2TB Barracuda® Green SATA-600, 5900rpm, ST2000DL003, 64MB

Samsung SATA 22x DVDRW L/S Black

I may be wrong, but I believe they recommend 1000W+ for SLI 580s, that being said, 850W is plenty for your current build. 60GB is a little small for an SSD though, I'd recommend spending a little extra money so that you can comfortably fit your OS and a few games onto it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I may be wrong, but I believe they recommend 1000W+ for SLI 580s, that being said, 850W is plenty for your current build. 60GB is a little small for an SSD though, I'd recommend spending a little extra money so that you can comfortably fit your OS and a few games onto it.
    Separate "HD" that contains the operating system is a better solution.

Three "HD"s is the optimal setup - One for OS / important programs, one for games / misc programs (installed files), one for misc files (non-installed files, music, pictures, downloads, etc).

Get one more for backup purposes. Get three if you want to be able to completely back up your system.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

I've never seen anyone recommend putting the OS on a HDD and not on the SSD when possible...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Separate "HD" that contains the operating system is a better solution.

Three "HD"s is the optimal setup - One for OS / important programs, one for games / misc programs (installed files), one for misc files (non-installed files, music, pictures, downloads, etc).

Get one more for backup purposes. Get three if you want to be able to completely back up your system.

yep mine goes 60gb SSD - OS
    1tb 64mb cav black - fraps videos
    1tb 64mb cav black - storage

as you see though he is correct about a 60gb SSD being small. go for a cheap OCZ 120gb for around $150

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    yep mine goes 60gb SSD - OS
    1tb 64mb cav black - fraps videos
    1tb 64mb cav black - storage
    That's not what ImpTraimer suggested, unless I misunderstood them... They said that the OS should be on a separate hard drive than games and such, which is not optimal.

Deleted
    Thanks for the info guys. Should i take an 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 6Gb/s. Western Digital10EALX. 32MB instead so that i get 7200 rpm instead of 5400?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what ImpTraimer suggested, unless I misunderstood them... They said that the OS should be on a separate hard drive than games and such, which is not optimal.
    it was qouting the part about seperate drives. i dont agree with putting the OS on a HDD though. unless he gets the new PCI revodrive hybrid.

HDD RPM speed is pretty much irrelevant and no one suggested that... =/ You should get a bigger SSD.

Deleted
    aha okej, another guys said "all looks good other than the slow hdd, games on it will take longer to load, you want a 7200rpm, but that can be changed easily." but okej ill go for a bigger SDD and keep the HDD. Do you know what wattage is needed for a gtx 580 SLI?

Like I said before, I believe most people recommend 1000+. As for what the guy said about the faster HDD... He would probably be right if you weren't getting an SSD, but you are, and because you are you don't need to worry about HDD RPM... It is better to save the money by staying with the HDD you currently have selected and use that money for a larger SSD.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-12-19 at 02:32 AM.

Deleted
    What would you guys say about getting two 60g SDD and one HDD instead of 1 120g SDD? The 60 ones are on sale atm. Would i be good to put OS and games on one and one with only games and then the HDD for other stuff?

---------- Post added 2011-12-19 at 10:45 AM ----------

sry for all the posts but would it work with an Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 - ATX / Intel Z68 / DDR3 / 3xPCI-E / SATA 3.0 / USB 3.0 instead the other one is out of stock
    Last edited by mmoc8c91d20672; 2011-12-19 at 12:43 PM.

You can RAID0 the two SSDs together and that would work fine, but it is pointless to buy two separate SSDs and not RAID them. If you're not familiar with RAID, then I'll continue to recommend a 120GB SSD.

And yes, that motherboard should be fine.

You can RAID0 the two SSDs together and that would work fine, but it is pointless to buy two separate SSDs and not RAID them.
    It is far from pointless to use two seperate SSD's. It's not optimal, that's true, but it's not like it is a bad solution if it turns out to be cheaper than a 120gb SSD because they are on sale.

Also, the P8Z68-V boards support Intel Smart Response. It means you can use a small SSD (I believe the max is 30GB) as a cache for a HDD. This will up the speed of the HDD dramatically and gives you a SSD/HDD hybrid drive. Not as fast as a single SSD (I think it's around 65-70% of the speed of a single SSD, but I am not sure) but it has alot more storage.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

You can RAID0 the two SSDs together and that would work fine, but it is pointless to buy two separate SSDs and not RAID them. If you're not familiar with RAID, then I'll continue to recommend a 120GB SSD.

And yes, that motherboard should be fine.
    Yeah, TRIM is definitely "pointless".

@ OP: Basically, don't RAID your SSDs unless you want to buy new ones every 1-2 years.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Yeah, TRIM is definitely "pointless".
    I was speaking more to the pointlessness of buying two SSDs and putting an OS on one and then games on the other and not having them connected in some way... While I'm definitely new to using SSDs, I was under the impression that the best case scenario is having your OS and all "important" games on a single SSD.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-12-19 at 03:16 PM.

In theory you would get more performance having them on separate drives since the computer could independently poll the OS drive for system files, and load game files from the other at the same time unimpeded.

The only time to RAID0 SSDs is if you truly want 500+ MBps reads/writes. Then to utilize said speed, you'll need another set of SSDs in RAID0 to accept that writing speed. There's just no point really. :P

Then of course there's the lack of TRIM which will dramatically reduce the lifespan. Apparently it is soon to be addressed, but it still isn't currently.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics