Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    You guys forget the difficulty of bosses increases as more people join the party/raid. If it's just 2 people, it's not going to be as hard but you two best know how to play =)

  2. #62
    I didn't read the whole thread but here is my two cents. I think first of all people keep comparing GW2 to wow and we can't really understand not having to get to the highest level to do something, this is actually my biggest 'worry' you could say about the game but I think it is because I was so used to the whole old way of doing things and I am sure Arenanet has thought about this. With that being said I think the only reason we are given a leveling system in this game is because of the old mmo way of doing things. I think arenanet knows that people realise they are playing an mmo and will only go through content if they have to level through it. I believe the developers want us to actually experience the whole world and story and everything going on in this game. I think it is just a new way of doing things and we will not understand until we have experienced it. I think after this game comes out people wont have that 'there needs to be endgame' mentality, at least I hope so because I still feel that way also.
    Last edited by worprz; 2011-12-19 at 06:34 PM.

  3. #63
    At one point in development ANet thought about not having any levels at all, but decided to put them in because they figured it would be far too jarring for most players. Quite early in development they had plans to make a very unique combat system that changed how your skills behaved based on how the player moved, but had to scrap it because the tech isn't there to make it possible.

  4. #64
    Bloodsail Admiral Scrabblet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    1,172
    Dungeons, being able to participate in the level 80 max level zone there probably will be, and stuff like that.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    At one point in development ANet thought about not having any levels at all, but decided to put them in because they figured it would be far too jarring for most players.
    i would love to play such a game! is there any interview link to that? personally, level-less rpgs would be an interesting thing to see bcos the devs have to come up with other features that make the player feel he is growing in power.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    i would love to play such a game! is there any interview link to that? personally, level-less rpgs would be an interesting thing to see bcos the devs have to come up with other features that make the player feel he is growing in power.
    Take a look at "The Secret World". No levels. Skill-based.

  7. #67
    Wish they had dumped levels in GW2. The most tedious mechanic of MMOs in the 2nd era->now is leveling. I think everyone is ready for a break from the norm. I been playing SW:TOR like crazy and believe me- leveling is a drag.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Wish they had dumped levels in GW2. The most tedious mechanic of MMOs in the 2nd era->now is leveling. I think everyone is ready for a break from the norm. I been playing SW:TOR like crazy and believe me- leveling is a drag.
    Yeah I don't care for levels but it doesn't really matter to me since I will be pvping a lot.

  9. #69
    The Lightbringer Dewote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Wish they had dumped levels in GW2
    I think they had plans for that. Can't really remember why they gave up on that idea.
    FC 2793-2016-8218 - Name: Suoma

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    I think they had plans for that. Can't really remember why they gave up on that idea.
    Because people are idiots and want the same old crap all the time. /bitchy

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Take a look at "The Secret World". No levels. Skill-based.
    ah thanks for the suggestion.
    i looked at the trailers and some dev panels. the genre didnt really appeal to me. guns and jeans and suits goes deep into my gaming uncanny valley.
    if they had set it in a fantasy world....

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    ah thanks for the suggestion.
    i looked at the trailers and some dev panels. the genre didnt really appeal to me. guns and jeans and suits goes deep into my gaming uncanny valley.
    if they had set it in a fantasy world....
    That's a fair opinion.

    Personally, I'm nearly done with high-fantasy and the fact that 90% of the MMORPGs are set in the same world. I will give GW2 a try, and while I'm very interested, it's still quite annoying.

    I'm glad they had the balls to try a setting so rarely seen in MMORPGs: Today. It certainly may be restrictive, but at the same time it can provide so many more options that simply don't exist in a fantasy setting or in a sci-fi futuristic setting.

  13. #73
    One of the most refreshing things about Fallen Earth and SW:TOR is that they aren't set in a high fantasy setting. One of the most dreary things about Rift is that it's way too familiar as a contrast.

    GW2 might be a "fantasy" setting but has far more style and aesthetic appeal than we see in most MMOs. Which look awful for the most part. IMO, of course. :s

  14. #74
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Don't forget that all raiding brings is a gear treadmill which I hope I never have to see in GW2. End game starts at level 1 which I saw someone else say. Each level takes as long as the last to earn it. They don't make you grind for hours and hours to get 1 more level. After level 10 each following level will take just as much exp and time to earn as the previous. You will get to enjoy your character rather than grinding quests and crap just to get to max level as soon as you can.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Don't even get me started on that. I never won a single piece of loot in the 4 times I ran both new raids across 2 characters. It's even worse than a guild as far as I'm concerned.

    I don't understand this sort of mentality whatsoever. Either you don't have fun because you're at the "beck and call" of your guildies, or you're not having fun because you're not winning gear.
    So is raiding only about the gear for you? If so, why aren't you in a hardcore guild progressing through heroic mode content?
    Oh wait, riiiight... didn't wanna be at anyone's beck and call... just wanted to get a bunch of free epics while you're at it... too...

    And people wonder why Wow's community has gone down hill, lmao.

  16. #76
    You play the game to have fun, so mechanically, it has to be fun to play (hence the Action-RPG combat, rather than MMO-RPG combat.), that's why you should play. Not because you get a unique arrangement of pixels. They may also be fun to 'get', but that's not the main driving force of Guild Wars 2, a persistent world to play in, in a way that put's you in direct control of combat, rather than some queue system and to experience content that way, take part in adventures and generally, just have a enjoyable time rather than follow a carrot on a stick.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamanTankFTW View Post
    Howdy Mif, I knew if anyone you would be the one to respond.

    Now, I understand your point about having fun and I'm all for it, BUT, where is the fun in reaching max level then going around grinding for cosmetic gear?
    One of the surest ways to ask if a question has merit, is to change the question slightly, so that it addresses a slightly different subject matter, but still asks a similar question. For example, let's say someone had asked this instead:

    "Now, I understand your point about having fun and I'm all for it, BUT, where is the fun in reaching max level then going around grinding bosses for random drops?"

    Let's be more specific though, just in case further clarity is required, what's the difference between grinding at the end game for random drops of statistical value and grinding at the end game for random drops of aesthetic value? The difference is the taste of the player, on one level, but on another level, one effects balance drastically and the other does not. When you pander to the players that are after statistical value, you have to keep upping the statistical values to ensure continued interest - or so traditional MMO logic tells us.

    The interesting thing about Guild Wars is that it didn't do that, it brought aesthetic value in the end game, and never upped the statistical values, indeed always let you apply said statistical values to any aesthetic you might be so pleased to. Traditional logic tells us the statistical values increasing is required, yet people played, and still play, Guild Wars with nothing but those cosmetic rewards at the end.

    So it must work quite well, otherwise the game wouldn't have sold more than six-million units, and wouldn't have been populated from release up to this very day, and likely still further on. The challenge, the cosmetic rewards, the teamwork and so on and so forth all managed to keep people playing without the continued draw of ever more powerful stat rewards.

    Or going about thier Elite Events with EVERYONE on the server which honestly will not promote any orginazation or strategy involved in those fights at all.
    I'm not entirely sure how you can predict that in any way that can be considered accurately.

    They always add new stuff, they always tag on more to thier story-line, they always make things more interesting or harder.
    If your worry is that Arena.net won't add new, interesting and challenging content, then I need point to, again, to no other game than their own prior game, Guild Wars. They added new things through campaigns, and then, beyond the campaigns, starting adding new content besides such as the Winds of Change content.

    I want to play/try out this game so bad, but like you I play games to have fun. With regular console RPG's they always have major boss fights that involve strategy and individual orginization.
    And again, why do you think this won't be here? There are instanced Dungeons, and there are Bosses both in and out of instances. We haven't even seen the content that will involve the actual Dragons yet, just a few small bosses. What makes you think there won't be organization when Guild Wars itself has deep roots in competitive and cooperative play.

  18. #78
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Slanderize View Post
    I don't understand this sort of mentality whatsoever. Either you don't have fun because you're at the "beck and call" of your guildies, or you're not having fun because you're not winning gear.
    So is raiding only about the gear for you? If so, why aren't you in a hardcore guild progressing through heroic mode content?
    Oh wait, riiiight... didn't wanna be at anyone's beck and call... just wanted to get a bunch of free epics while you're at it... too...

    And people wonder why Wow's community has gone down hill, lmao.
    Seriously lol so glad I quit that train wreck ~.~

    But yeah on topic. Have fun. It's a GAME. Remember Mario? Zelda? Pac Man? You played the games because they were fun, not because they included a gear treadmill or some other carrot on the stick means of having fun.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I can't imagine ever having fun raiding personally. There's nothing fun about being at the beck and call of a guild and then dealing with 9 or 24 other people's screwups during the fight. Entirely my opinion of course.
    Shared experiences are the reason I play MMOs. They're brilliant, honestly.

  20. #80
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,277
    I enjoy raiding, not just the fights, or just the failing or whatever. I just like playing the game with 9 guildies and have fun with it, however I know that WoW has a tiny thing to offer. I have 4 lv 85's. Why? Because 1 character isn't enough.

    Let me talk in WoW Term (yes I dislike them too).

    I have 3 characters all with iL 378+ items (378 is the standard iL for the current Heroic dungeon level) So on a daily basis you cannot get higher gear besides raiding with a Raiding Tool or with your guild. Doing this with all the characters will leave you pointless at this point. Nothing else to do since I don't like the PvP in WoW, plated Guild Wars 1 for 4 years and it provided me with a lot more challenge.

    So at this point what can I do? Grind achievements? Level ANOTHER alt? I have no clue.



    Now let me get back to Guild Wars 2, a game which I'm waiting a close 5 years on now.

    The 2 things GW2 will give you are; "FUN" and "FREEDOM".

    You want to play PvP? Go ahead play PvP, we won't stop you, no one will. Have fun with it. Don't like competitive PvP? You can play WvWvW, enjoy! No one here to stop you. You play what you want to play. In PvE, there are zones with some level requirement, you can't go with your level 5 character to a max-level area and ArenaNet's goal isn't that people stand in a town waiting for stuff to happen, not to queue a dungeon and to grind your new and better gear, not to hang at high-level area's because that's where you're supposed to be. They want people to be everywhere and do everything, because everywhere around the world, people will be doing stuff that's going on, and you'll be tuned to the requirement of the event so it's challenging for you.

    The point in a game/any game should be having fun, love what you're doing, it's not about who's the best geared in your server, or who can crit the highest. It's about what you like to do in the game and that you should feel free to do so. If you need to feel special, there are rare armors available, or expensive armors. There are minipets that you can collect, shiny stuff, titles whatever you like, if that's what you want to progress to.

    There will be dungeons, and every time you do that dungeon, it will feel new, because events spawn in the dungeons and makes it feel more Dynamic and more alive. There will be new dungeons, there will be new content, there will be new area's, but it's not about needing to get the latest stuff or else you'll fall out of the groups, and you wouldn't be good enough/outgeared.

    If you played WoW or still playing it, when attempting GW2, FORGET IT ALL. You won't see it back, and if you expect to feel the same thing you felt with WoW, wake up call. It won't, it will be completely new. And if you're open for something new. Do NOT hesitate a SECOND. Try this game, atleast TRY it.




    TL;DR, just read it, it's worth it.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •