Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What 24" Gaming monitor to wish for Xmas ?

My now 2 year old Samsung SyncMaster 2243 (22" 16:10 monitor) spawned a red sub pixel that is always lit on the left side of my screen. I've tried to squish, rub, polish and HAMMER it plus all sort of voodoo cursing/tricks. But it just wont shut off, so I have a constant red pixel driving me nuts.

So the old folks said I could get a monitor of my choice for Xmas, so my question is what is the BEST gaming monitor out there at the moment. It HAVE to be 1920x1080 (real 1080p) 16:9, since the 1920 x 1200, 16:10 monitors suck for making videos (black bars on youtube, streaming etc).

I've been reading a bit about the IPS panels, and the Dell UltraSharp U2412M seem to be a very popular choice, but sadly it use the stupid 16:10 (1920 x 1200) aspect ratio, so no thanks.

Anyone have some suggestions? Preferably something you can backup with a review. TN panel ones are also welcome.
    Last edited by Nelle; 2011-12-19 at 09:10 AM.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    If you can find a U2311H anywhere, that's an excellent 16:9 IPS monitor.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Last edited by Ezzme; 2011-12-19 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzme View Post
    Shouldnt I go for the ASUS VS248H its much newer and LED, its even almost the same price where I live. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsfCSnoNfP4

---------- Post added 2011-12-20 at 12:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If you can find a U2311H anywhere, that's an excellent 16:9 IPS monitor.
    I actually found a place that still sell this monitor, been reading some reviews / watching some videos, but is it really that good for gaming. I know that the 8ms shouldnt scare you off since it have some buildin functions to reduce the input lag times. But isn't there better options ?

Also I'm not totally scared of with going with a TN panel, all that really matter is that it will be a superb gaming monitor.
    Last edited by Nelle; 2011-12-20 at 11:15 AM.

Picked up a 23" LED AOC yesterday for $150 not bad at all.

150$ makes it sound like a discount monitor to be honest.

I want something that will give me some proper eye-candy, and from the looks of it most of those are at the 250$+ range.

Anyone have experience with some of the 120hz gaming monitors, I can see that ASUS make some really interesting ones. Are they worth it ?

---------- Post added 2011-12-20 at 02:46 PM ----------

Must admit that I'm leaning towards the DELL U2311H (not the HM), it seems to get reviews everywhere.

http://computers.toptenreviews.com/monitors/
    Last edited by Nelle; 2011-12-20 at 01:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I actually found a place that still sell this monitor, been reading some reviews / watching some videos, but is it really that good for gaming. I know that the 8ms shouldnt scare you off since it have some buildin functions to reduce the input lag times. But isn't there better options ?
    I had my U2311H sitting next to a 2ms Samsung TN monitor for a while. In terms of ghosting, I couldn't tell the difference at all between the two.
    red panda red panda red panda!

dont believe any of the refresh rates companies are boasting, along with the contrast ratios they post. Find the monitor with the native display resolution you want and whichever has the best reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneleg View Post
    dont believe any of the refresh rates companies are boasting, along with the contrast ratios they post. Find the monitor with the native display resolution you want and whichever has the best reviews.
    Yeah, seems like they are using the ms to boost their producs, since the input lag is usually worse on those 2ms monitors anyway. I'm this <--------|-> close to getting the Dell U2311H

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    Yeah, seems like they are using the ms to boost their producs, since the input lag is usually worse on those 2ms monitors anyway. I'm this <--------|-> close to getting the Dell U2311H
    The Dell U2311H is decent. It's better than TN panels, but it's still a 6bit e-IPS. It's also very close to be obsolete soon, for the inferior U2312HM model.
    I'd rather go the ASUS PA238Q.

If you want to go a TN-panel, 120Hz is the way to go. Unless being super-strapped for money (in which case I'd always recommend moving money away from hardware to a better monitor; I'd rather game on a GTS 450 and a good monitor than a GTX 580 and generic TN), it should be 120Hz TN, VA or IPS being your major concerns.

Some monitors I'd use for gaming, figure out what's more interesting for yourself:
    * ASUS PA238Q
    * LG W2326D
    * ASUS VG236H
    * Alienware AW2310 (basically, Dell brands their gaming monitor under Alienware and slaps a higher price on them I guess)
    * Eizo Forris FS2331
    * Dell UltraSharp U2311H
    * Eizo Forris FS2332
    * Dell UltraSharp U2312HM

(I'd personally go either of the first five options - can't go wrong. Between them, I'd rank them PA238Q > FS2331 > VG236H/LG 2326D/Alienware)
    &nbsp;

I'll do a bit more research into the PA238Q then. Thanks for the useful input. Still 2 more days to decide

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    My now 2 year old Samsung SyncMaster 2243 (22" 16:10 monitor) spawned a red sub pixel that is always lit on the left side of my screen. I've tried to squish, rub, polish and HAMMER it plus all sort of voodoo cursing/tricks. But it just wont shut off, so I have a constant red pixel driving me nuts.

So the old folks said I could get a monitor of my choice for Xmas, so my question is what is the BEST gaming monitor out there at the moment. It HAVE to be 1920x1080 (real 1080p) 16:9, since the 1920 x 1200, 16:10 monitors suck for making videos (black bars on youtube, streaming etc).

I've been reading a bit about the IPS panels, and the Dell UltraSharp U2412M seem to be a very popular choice, but sadly it use the stupid 16:10 (1920 x 1200) aspect ratio, so no thanks.

Anyone have some suggestions? Preferably something you can backup with a review. TN panel ones are also welcome.
    Dell u2412M
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...=baynoteSearch

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzme View Post
    I'm running 2 of these bad boys. They are simply amazing. Color is perfect and I will suggest this to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by darnoldtux View Post
    I'm running 2 of these bad boys. They are simply amazing. Color is perfect and I will suggest this to everyone.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but saying the colors are perfect immediately disqualify you for this discussion. :<

---------- Post added 2011-12-22 at 07:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fatalaeon View Post
    .. even though he just said he didn't want it at all? Impressive!
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but saying the colors are perfect immediately disqualify you for this discussion. :<

---------- Post added 2011-12-22 at 07:21 PM ----------

.. even though he just said he didn't want it at all? Impressive!
    It does not disqualify me. Not everyone is technically savvy and know every definition for every acronym or word out there. so if i were to talk about how the fact that my last 3 monitors would not get the proper hue that i wanted or some of the saturation was not correctable and this one was able to allow me to fix it without my eyes hurting due to my sensitivity to extra light. It is very easy on the eyes. i just shortened it down to keep from having to explain every detail about my life at why i think that this is far better than most monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by darnoldtux View Post
    It does not disqualify me. Not everyone is technically savvy and know every definition for every acronym or word out there. so if i were to talk about how the fact that my last 3 monitors would not get the proper hue that i wanted or some of the saturation was not correctable and this one was able to allow me to fix it without my eyes hurting due to my sensitivity to extra light. It is very easy on the eyes. i just shortened it down to keep from having to explain every detail about my life at why i think that this is far better than most monitors.
    It is average, yes. That's what it is.

It's just about what you would expect from one. It's overpriced, have poor colour-reproduction (thus disqualifying your "perfect" comment), it's LED edgelit and it's a 60 Hz TN-panel, it has the viewing angles you'd expect of a TN-panel. Et c.
    Comments talk about buying several have mismatched colorscheme between two of the same monitor (thus disqualifying your "perfect" comment)
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    You guys arguing about colour reproduction and stuff and failing to notice the most improtant The guy never gets the letter to santa in time anymore! And the poor elves would have to work over time to get any screen done, be it one with less adequete colour palette or not. The christmas is ruined!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    How does the Asus VE248H @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236102 (10,000,000:1)
    Fair against ASUS VS248H-P @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236153 (50,000,000:1)

Same price pretty much. 50x vs 10x both 24", 2ms, full led. Any difference?

http://www.asus.com.au/Display/LCD_Monitors/VG236H/

is what im running x2 and i love it mind you i paid 1200$ each for mine about a year back so your looking at about 400-700 now adays But the picture is perfect as well as wow Looks Insane in 3d

Quote Originally Posted by zeq View Post
    How does the Asus VE248H @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236102 (10,000,000:1)
    Fair against ASUS VS248H-P @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236153 (50,000,000:1)

Same price pretty much. 50x vs 10x both 24", 2ms, full led. Any difference?
    Not full LED. Can't find any differences (I've never bothered to learn their way of meassuring contrast, as it's a fallacy in most cases either way. And to be frank, I have no idea what it even means)
    &nbsp;