Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Just how popular is SWTOR

Hi, I am in a fantasy betting game with my friends. And we each put in numbers to how many people will buy the game total for the first week. Prize is like dinner. But it is also bragging rights.

Can anyone tell me how many people do they think bought this game so far???

It seems by VGCHARTZ it is around 940,000. But this does not include outside the USA and digital sales.

So is it safe to say there are 2 million people who bought the game so far? What do you think?

The last number I heard was over a million preorders.

10+ Year Old Account
    We shall see on the 20th if more players come, or if the presale is it.

Deleted
    I'm getting mine on Christmas same with many others most likely and they said they were breaking records for pre-orders

I heard a figure of around 2.5million pre-orders...

10+ Year Old Account
    I, for one, can tell you that i am buying it the 20th, so....ya
    Why isn't Harrison Jones in BFA?
    I mean, Blizzard, srously? We ought to see the old chap in Vol'Dun!
    I think he is a bit afraid of snakes! (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

with vg charts reporting close to 1 million retail copies preordered. i think 2.5 worldwide is a safe bet

10+ Year Old Account
    Same, I'm getting it on the 20th. I heard over 2 million already. And over 1 million on the free weekend..

Its already beat wow MAJORLY if you compare it to wow at launch.
    Last edited by haxs101; 2011-12-19 at 04:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Wouldn't be surprised if they reach 3 million sales by end of January. Word of mouth of how good it is is really catching on. SWTOR is probably on alot of peoples christmas lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if they reach 3 million sales by end of January. SWTOR is probably on alot of peoples christmas lists.
    It's on mine,

I heard it was 750 billion. And I heard also about 50,000. I think it's safe to say the actual number is somewhere in the middle.

The point is, what anyone thinks makes no difference. Let's get some links to some objective data and quit with the anecdotes.

IF they ware smart they would have a mac version! i want to play this game soooooo bad

Quote Originally Posted by Surge View Post
    I heard it was 750 billion. And I heard also about 50,000. I think it's safe to say the actual number is somewhere in the middle.

The point is, what anyone thinks makes no difference. Let's get some links to some objective data and quit with the anecdotes.
    What you're talking about there is fantasy mixed with some trolling.

VG charts (3 weeks old) shows a pre-order of almost 1 million PHYSICAL boxes in only North America(USA). Add digital copies, Europe and rest of the world to this and you can try to figure out some realistic numbers.

I'm going for 3 million copies sold 31 December

Deleted
    ~1 million physical pre-orders in the US. I would wager about the same in the EU. How many could order digitally, 30%? I would guess that so far the game has sold 2.5 million units in pre-orders alone. That is huge. And once more people learn what a blast this game is more should come.

Btw, what was the budget for SWToR? I have heard 200 million dollars... but if we count that every sold unit nets Bioware/EA 40 dollars profit (too much, too little?) they would have to sell 5 million units to break even. Sure, then you have subscription fees and such in that mix but considering that EA said that 1 million subscribers would be enough to make profit I find that 200 million figure a bit too large.

Quote Originally Posted by deisell View Post
    IF they ware smart they would have a mac version! i want to play this game soooooo bad
    Get Bootcamp.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Surge View Post

LOL, this. I understand that many people are going to buy this game and enjoy it. Just not sure the 'how many' is a relevant issue. It's essentially the same discussion as the Coke vs Pepsi crowd. Play what you like, it really isn't a big deal.

I heard it was 750 billion.
    Wonder how long you'll have to queue to get in then?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxs101 View Post
    Its already beat wow MAJORLY if you compare it to wow at launch.
    How can you even compare SWTOR release in 2011 with WoW release in 2004? There are so many factors that will tell you how silly it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Snore View Post
    How can you even compare SWTOR release in 2011 with WoW release in 2004? There are so many factors that will tell you how silly it is.
    Because people are just ready to beat down any old game they played even when they usually spent a few years of their life playing it. It's pretty sad really.

I'm not sure how many because we really never got a solid answer from bioware but im sure a couple million have bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snore View Post
    Really how can you even compare a game that had no competition in 2004 like wow with a game like SW:TOR that "stole" more than 24% of wow playing population(and you must admit wow is at its prime now)... pffff.... by a margin SW:TOR had a better release than wow and did fought an overcrowded market with a wow on its prime.... you go figure it out by yourself