Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Really is that even a question -_-? WoW's fanbase is like microscopic compared to star wars fan base. Star wars came before Warcraft. Theyve had more people on them since forever so i could see their game grabbin a fuck ton of people

People at school who are really pumped for the game are telling me they'll be getting it for Christmas, and there are already around 2M pre-orders...so....yea!

10+ Year Old Account
    Simple answer for a simple question, SWTOR is very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by deisell View Post
    IF they ware smart they would have a mac version! i want to play this game soooooo bad
    IF you were smart you would have bootcamp.

jk

But really.

Get on that.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by taniawi View Post
    Hi, I am in a fantasy betting game with my friends. And we each put in numbers to how many people will buy the game total for the first week. Prize is like dinner. But it is also bragging rights.

Can anyone tell me how many people do they think bought this game so far???

It seems by VGCHARTZ it is around 940,000. But this does not include outside the USA and digital sales.

So is it safe to say there are 2 million people who bought the game so far? What do you think?
    2 million pre-orders is a very safe bet. Most games sell at least twice the pre-order number the first week. I don't see how SWTOR could possibly sell fewer than 3 million its first month, but 4-5 million isn't out of the question. First week sales are harder to guess than first month, though - especially since there won't really be solid, reliable worldwide sales data for several weeks after.

wow clone - sub numbers will die off dramatically after the first few months, just like all the other 'wow killers' before it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ylera View Post
    wow clone - sub numbers will die off dramatically after the first few months, just like all the other 'wow killers' before it.
    WoWclone. Remember when EQ players called WoW an EQ clone?

X-clone is dumb. Its just they are both MMOs. Thats why they are similar.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ylera View Post
    That's a very good explanation of what happens to wow clones after release, good thing swtor isn't one of them!

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like how folks quote the number of WoW players based off the commercials. I saw that there were actually only 4.5m WoW players in North America and Europe.

I also saw that TOR has ~1.5m playing now. I have to admit, both are impressive numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by haxs101 View Post
    Same, I'm getting it on the 20th. I heard over 2 million already. And over 1 million on the free weekend..

Its already beat wow MAJORLY if you compare it to wow at launch.
    Can't compare them in a reasonable way. The MMO market is bigger than ever. Way bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by seven2k View Post
    Im a mac user and Bioware said that going to Mac is not profitable. Mac hardware is starting to suck now a days.
    I too pine for the good old days of Ambrosia and Fantasoft... But really, gaming on *OSX* isn't that terrible. Blizzard supports Mac, Valve supports Mac, lots of good indy stuff on Steam to try out, etc.

Gaming on *Mac hardware* these days is much the same as gaming on Windows hardware. Step 1: Install Windows on it.

On-topic:
    SW:TOR has had over a million pre-orders, I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 2-3 million in the incoming launch-day and holiday rush. Whether they grow or shrink from there is a big question mark, as I think the game is very front-loaded: leveling is incredible, endgame (based on early reports) is meh.

For those who get some perverse satisfaction out of comparing the size of their... MMO's playerbase, please remember that SW:TOR is only officially supported in North America and Europe for now. Importing the game into other countries is possible but won't be very common (except maybe in Australia where they're used to this sort of thing). WoW's NA + EU playerbase is something like 4.5 million.

swtor may have more na/eu accounts than wow already...

Quote Originally Posted by mosene View Post
    Really how can you even compare a game that had no competition in 2004 like wow with a game like SW:TOR that "stole" more than 24% of wow playing population(and you must admit wow is at its prime now)... pffff.... by a margin SW:TOR had a better release than wow and did fought an overcrowded market with a wow on its prime.... you go figure it out by yourself
    You could argue that the current MMO player base is larger now than it was back in 2004.

Im a mac user and Bioware said that going to Mac is not profitable. Mac hardware is starting to suck now a days.
    I'm not so sure about it not being profitable, though. Activision-Blizzard hasn't exactly been making Mac versions of every game out of the goodness of their hearts, and KOTOR is one of the top grossing games on the Mac App Store.

Market share among their target audience (young adults) is actually pretty significant, and we clearly have disposable income or else we wouldn't have a Mac in the first place. I think they're just banking on people being willing to use Boot Camp for the time being. If the game shows it's going to be a long-term success, I think they'll probably create a Mac client as well.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    good read:

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...elease-players

Check this

Creutz estimated that "The Old Republic" servers have actually been filled a little more densely than those for Activision Blizzard's long-standing MMO leader "World of Warcraft," which hosts roughly 4 to 4.5 million players on 491 servers in North America and Europe. From those numbers, a little back-of-the-envelope math generated Creutz's estimate of 1 to 1.5 million early "Old Republic" players so far.

My guess would be 2.4 million

---------- Post added 2011-12-19 at 08:48 PM ----------

It's not that going to Mac wouldn't be profitable, but any Mac that can run SWTOR came with boot camp which runs the game quite well. How I'm playing right now.

im srry to tell u guys but 2.5 or 2.4 or however million is a ly. REMEBER who made it was mainly EA and bioware. They ly all the time on there games ok so dont trust them and to anwser ur question its prob about 250 thousand MAYBE

Quote Originally Posted by gulsokar View Post
    im srry to tell u guys but 2.5 or 2.4 or however million is a ly. REMEBER who made it was mainly EA and bioware. They ly all the time on there games ok so dont trust them and to anwser ur question its prob about 250 thousand MAYBE
    I am going to try to avoid getting myself banned again, but no the numbers are not released by Bioware. VGchartz is where people are getting the information that they're making their estimates with. Please don't make posts on topics you don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Stole 24% of WOW's Population huh?

For that to be true:

1. SWTOR would have to maintain 2.5 Million Subs for an extended period of time. One Year would be a fair time period since it would cross over MOP release. If they truly stole subs, they will not go back to WOW

2. WOW's 1st Quarter Report would have to show 7.5 Million Subs, to substantiate that SWTOR truely stole subs, and people simply did not sub to both games
    No, it doesn't. It's called a contract and a lot of WoW players signed it and will continue to have an active sub, regardless of it being used.

Quote Originally Posted by gulsokar View Post

Seriously got a good laugh at that one.