Spine of DW and Hunter Pets

So I'm a hunter. How do you handle your pet when attacking burning tendons at Spine of DW?
    Most of the time my pet gets killed and I couldn't figure out yet when I can safely send my pet in.
    I tried with autoattacking my target and it dies, I waited a few second and it dies, so how long should I wait until my pet can dps the tendons? Last time tendon was at 80% hp when I sent my pet in and it died.
    I'm feeling kinda useless :/

EDIT; and is there a bug that prevents you from /tar burning tendon in a macro? Doesn't seem to work for me.

Just found this macro on the WoW forums. People seem to say it works:

/targetexact Burning Tendons

Targetexact seems to work.
    In raidfinder yesterday I sent my pet in immediately and it didn't die; fixed or anyone still having the problems?

Deleted
    Same thing with Unholy ghouls, and same result as Draeblin today doing lfderps version.

Hunter in our raid said he read somewhere that it only happens with the right tentacle as you look at him. We opened the left side of the plate and he had no issues with his pet staying alive.

The pet bug seems to have been fixed.

Are wind serpents ranged?

My imp has no issues (when our hunters pet died straight up) - although it might be fixed now.

Deleted
    Having more problems with my pet dieing on Madness of Deathwing now, it's insane how often he dies there...

Deleted
    Didn't get to try tonight as I had to play Blood on Spine, but Svenska mentioned the side the tendons are on possibly making a difference. Both LFRs I did this morning had the left side exposed = no problems for Unholy or my Hunter, my guild expose the right side though, and when I do play DPS there my ghoul pretty much always dies (It just explodes, can't even find a combat log entry when it happens, it's just gone). This does match up with the previous post.

Anyone have anything more on this possibility?

Might be like that; in lfr I also sent my pet in on the left one but not on the right one and it didn't die on the left one.

As a Shadow Priest, I have often had my shadowfiend die on the left one on H Spine attempts.

Edit: have not had it happen tonight in the 10 attempts we've had
    Last edited by Venith; 2011-12-22 at 02:22 AM.

Deleted
    We got no problems so far with pets on Spine, wether it be DK's, warlock's, hunter's and misc pets, all worked for us and don't despawn...