What needs upgraded in my computer?

I am running the game on the lowest possible settings, and am still getting 10 fps if Im lucky. PVP is unbearable. What should i upgrade in my computer to get me to able to not lag. Im not trying to break the bank, so Im ok with not being able to play on high settings with 100 fps.

OS Name Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

Sadly, everything.

I had a very similar build about 4.5 years ago. My current build from 1.5 years ago (i7, 6GB ram, ATI 5870, Win7) runs everything on high.

Probably video card first. Then CPU.

Yeah i was thinking about just buying a new computer. Not sure if I can find a good one for around $600 though

What you can do is upgrade your video card. This will make a bigger difference than most people are willing to admit. But, that 9800 GTX Should run good enough anyway. It will play at medium/low settings with shadows off. (Big performance killer there) It won't however blow things away. As I put in a previous post, I have friends with very similar setups and it runs well enough for them to enjoy the game and not complain about framerates.

Another thing is, is your Vista version 64 bit? If so you can add more memory to assist the game running smoothly while running around. It wont have to freeze and ask for more information from the hard drive on the fly as often.

If it's not 64 bit, an option would be upgrade to windows 7 64bit and take it from there.

Either way, you're looking at spending money, but your computer is far from useless. The Core2Duo/Quad core stuff isnt as slow and out dated as people are trying to make it out to be. It STILL Runs all games just fine with proper video cards behind it and enough memory. You should be able to play SWtoR on that machine for years given the right video card.

The game is very forgiving.

Its 32-bit. I have 4 gb of ram in there but it only recognizes 3gb. I was thinking about upgrading my graphics card to the Geforce GTX 550 ti.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently running a GTX 560ti , only thing replaced due to my last card dying (gtx470) and Tor runs on max settings (minus shadows coz i personally dont give a crap about those) and i get a constant 90-110+fps in questing areas and 60-70 when full on action is going on. The rest of my stuff is 2 years old , ram, cpu etc etc. All running fine stille
    Hope that helps

Yeah, I think I am going to get the GTX 550 ti and a new power supply. Im not really good with computers, so will the power supply work with any motherboard? Or do i need to buy certain ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doraas View Post
    I am running the game on the lowest possible settings, and am still getting 10 fps if Im lucky. PVP is unbearable. What should i upgrade in my computer to get me to able to not lag. Im not trying to break the bank, so Im ok with not being able to play on high settings with 100 fps.

OS Name Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
    I disagree with everyone saying your only recourse is to throw more hardware it, something is definitely amiss if you're only getting 10fps with that hardware. I game on a 4 year old machine myself, pushing a Core 2 Duo E6750, 2 gigs of ram and an aging X1950XT and I still manage 30fps in town and 60+ everywhere else on Medium to High settings in 1920x1080 resolution. Near as I can tell, your system is about on par if not a little higher end then my machine and if you're only scraping by with 10fps on the lowest settings possible something is very wrong.

Open up task manager (control + Alt + delete) and check the performance tab without WoW running. If your CPU utilization and/or RAM are in heavy use with nothing running something is strangling your systems resources. If so, the processes tab can show you what apps or processes are the prime offenders. Before you end any processes though (assuming resource hogging is problem, anyway) be sure to mention the name of the processes here or google them to see what they are. I've seen things like SVChost.exe tank up gigantic amounts of resources that sometimes need tweaking, but should never be closed. Other processes like bloatware of course are another story. Take a look, get back to us. Maybe even update all your drivers. There's no reason not to try everything before resorting to dropping ten Benjamens on a new machine.

If you want to game at a buttery smooth 100fps+ on maximum settings like some of the other people in this thread then you'll have to upgrade. But if you can be content with 30-60fps in WoW I don't see why it can't be accomplished on those specs.
    Last edited by Merie; 2011-12-19 at 10:29 PM.

I assume you mean SWTOR, because on WoW I can play on ultra and get about 10 FPS.

My CPU usage is aroun 8% and my memory usage is 1.00GB.

I can get around 20 fps by playing on the lowest resolution, but it looks like complete crap. I appreciate the help so far guys!

10+ Year Old Account
    Graphics card first, but you may need to upgrade your power supply before that.