Smoother, better gaming.

Alright, please stay with me here while I attempt to ask for assistance with a computer. Now I generally understand nothing when it comes to this hunk of metal I spend all my free time on.
    Now then, I recently had to turn my Graphic's setting on Wow to the lowest possible to let it run smoothly without suffering major lag. When I look at my recommended settings their all between fair and good. However, If im on those settings my game is hardly playable. I want to buy some peice of hardware or something that will make my computer run a bit faster with games I play as almost all of mine (Starcraft 2, WoW, Call of Duty) cannot handle anything but the bare minimum. What am I looking for?

My computer specs are: Windows Vista
    Manufacturer: Systemax
    Model: SYX-P5GC-MX3
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 2.220GHz 2.20 GHz
    Memory (Ram): 2.00 GB
    System Type: 32-bit Operating System
    I think my graphics card is a NIVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT but im very unsure.

Im probably wrong but I think a graphics card is what controls how high my settings can be that allow the game to look nice and run smoothly, so im trying to find one that I can upgrade with to not have to play on the lowest possible standards. Any help will be appreciated just talk slow and elaborate on anything techy.

You need a new everything. You might get away with starting with your power supply and graphics card, but it will be very bottlenecked by that CPU. What is your budget?

I had a feeling my computer was old, I got it 2-3 years ago but I figured id make by. My budget is kinda low maybe 500 dollars or so.

Hey man, how's it going?

Basically, there are so many variables in your system that it will be hard to tell you exactly what you want to go for.

From the look of things, I'm half tempted to tell you to forget about upgrading a single component and trying to get the cash together to buy a new, basic gaming system without the monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Do you live in the UK? Do you have someone you know IRL who you can talk through things with? The best way to learn how to upgrade a system is to do it yourself. You will gain a lot of independence that way and will also save money in the future. There are countless tutorials and videos online you can look to. The problem is, you need to know what sockets you have for specific bits of kit so having someone with prior knowledge will help.

I've been building systems since I was thirteen and I'm now 26. Once you learn how to do it mate, you'll be fine.