Trying to Save Money With HDD and Windows 7

So I'm building a new PC I already ordered everything except a hard drive and Windows 7, reason being is that I have an older computer (not to old) that already has windows 7 and was wondering if it would be possible to save $300 by just using my old hard drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulthaz
    Why are they deleting all the topics about this on the official forums?

thats censorship man, fucking unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Its almost like it's a private forum with a set of rules people agreed to follow!

If it's some big brand computer like Dell, Acer, HP etc you probably can not use same Windows on any other computer. Those company branded versions check if your motherboard is manufactured by them and refuse to start otherwise. Harddisc should be usable assuming it's SATA model.

Remember student discount for cheap Win7, maybe even totally free.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If it's some big brand computer like Dell, Acer, HP etc you probably can not use same Windows on any other computer. Those company branded versions check if your motherboard is manufactured by them and refuse to start otherwise. Harddisc should be usable assuming it's SATA model.

Remember student discount for cheap Win7, maybe even totally free.
    this. i get free windows 7 pro and all sorths of stuff like win xp, vista, mic office etc.

Youll be fine using the old hdd but as far as windows goes you'll more then likely have to buy a new copy. If your old computer is a store bought type then yes you will need a new copy of windows. If you built the compter yourself then you might not. It will depend if ther copy of windows 7 you plan to use is a Retail liscense or an OEM liscense.

Retail Liscense Windows 7 costs about $190 for home premium and more for pro or ultimate. This type of windows can be used to install to new computers many times so long as only 1 computer is actually running

OEM Liscense Windows 7 costs about $95 for Home premium and more for pro or ultimate. This type of winds can only be installed to 1 computer ever.

Interesting note is that what defines a computer by Miscrosofts terms is the motherboard. Change all the parts you want except the motherboard and they still consider it the same computer. However if you change the motherboard even to another copy of the same exact make and model it it considered a new computer.
    We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—
    World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams:
    Yet we are the movers and shakers, Of the world for ever, it seems.

-1st stanza, Ode by: Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Quote Originally Posted by lilatia View Post
    OEM Liscense Windows 7 costs about $95 for Home premium and more for pro or ultimate. This type of winds can only be installed to 1 computer ever.
    Note that this restriction is only in Microsoft website, not in EULA and not on the OEM package so it's legality is highly questionable. Also there's no technical limitation in the installation.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.