The Old Republic. View from a hardcore WoW raider.

So, while I wait in this queue, I figured I would jot down a few thinking points to those who haven't played the game. Or those that haven't played it as extensively as I have.

Since early access has started, I have leveled 1 character to 36, 3 characters to 20-30, and 2 more to 15-19. So my experience with the game is mostly low to mid-level at the moment.

At first glance, the game seems like just another WoW clone, which, it does share a lot of features that WoW has. But to be fair, most games of the same genre's do share very similar game-play / style. But once you look further into the game is where you find the real gems.

Here is a list of features that I have found rather attractive, and I think separates it from WoW, and the like.

1). Every class as an out of combat regen ability that lets them heal up quickly. This minimizes down time, and makes the game more streamline whilst leveling.

2). Companions. Essentially a pet that can do loads of things for you. From backing you up in combat, to running off to sell items in your bag that you don't want so you don't have to be bothered with running back to "town".

3). The crafting system. In it's raw from, the crafting is pretty much the same as WoW's. Get mats, craft things, the usual... The thing that makes it different is you can send your companion out to gather materials for you, or send them off to craft the item you want to make. So you don't have to be bothered to do it.

4). No "auto attack system". Makes the combat a little more diverse, and feels more in-depth.

5). You can FINALLY play an evil character in an MMORPG again. How I have missed the days of playing an evil character in Everquest. This is a big one for me. No more being the good guy. Slaughter innocents, pillage lands, destroy all that come in your path. My kind of scene .

6). Your character actually has a VOICE. This is more of a "Oooo Shiny" feature, but in an MMO.. it's a nice change of pace.

7). Your character actually seems powerful. Taking down 3-5 enemies at a time at level 1 is pretty fun.

8). Things to do in game without a full party of 5 people. There are numerous area's of the game that "suggest" just 2 players. Which is much easier to find than trying to get together 5 people on the fly.

I am really excited to see the raids in the coming week(s), but I haven't experienced them yet (obviously).

In conclusion, do I think ToR kills WoW. Most likely not, as they are pretty close to the same game. But will I keep playing it? Absolutely

10+ Year Old Account
    this comes from a bioware fanboy: ToR will not kill wow but it may take a biggish bite.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

from the players that have switched over from wow most of them are over 20 years old that I know of. I think wow will remain the top mmo for younger players and the ladies.

Raids will only consist of 8 people right? That's pretty sweet. Will be much easier to get groups together to rip it up.

One thing I'd like to point out that I enjoy is from a video i was watching. CC is heavily encouraged in raids and even the 4 man dungeons. Something that WoW hasn't done since BC. (i shudder thinking of TK...)

The out of combat regen is extremely awesome in PvP. Getting ganked? Run away! Run far away! Regen, win. Especially in games like huttball where it's easy to create huge distances between you and your attackers

And while this won't kill WoW, it sure gives them a bunch of new ideas to look at (especially character voices and the companion/crafting system)

Quote Originally Posted by Olala View Post
    And while this won't kill WoW, it sure gives them a bunch of new ideas to look at (especially character voices and the companion/crafting system)
    I think most of this will be implemented in Titan, I am sure most people have realised blizzard will do the bare minimum to keep players subscribed while putting resources into titan which I am expecting to be epic. So I think SWTOR has a great future until then, guild wars 2 will mainly pull from the pvp playerbase in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosadvokit View Post
    8). Things to do in game without a full party of 5 people. There are numerous area's of the game that "suggest" just 2 players. Which is much easier to find than trying to get together 5 people on the fly.
    You've leveled 1 to 36, 3 to 20-30, and 2 to 15-19 huh? (Seems like a lot already)

So you should be aware that groups are made of 4 people right?

I love SW:TOR to death and am not refuting your other #'s but yeah...

To OP: No offense but I would appreciate your input when raids start. We need hardcore raider's input about class and boss balance. Leveling is extremely fun in the game and I agree with your points, but the endgame is where all other "wow-killers" failed. I really wish they make it better. I want to see some competition at last which will force bliz to be less arrogant.

Deleted
    Holy balls. How much time do you have on your hands? I have 1 lvl 20, and 2 at around 14. And I play a shitton.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellomourn View Post
    You've leveled 1 to 36, 3 to 20-30, and 2 to 15-19 huh? (Seems like a lot already)

So you should be aware that groups are made of 4 people right?

I love SW:TOR to death and am not refuting your other #'s but yeah...
    He's comparing it to the 5 people group in WoW

Deleted
    The girls from WoW will all start playing SWTOR once they realise how great it is for roleplaying and the like.

That and the female models in SWTOR are very appealing for adult women.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    The girls from WoW will all start playing SWTOR once they realise how great it is for roleplaying and the like.

That and the female models in SWTOR are very appealing for adult women.
    Is there a way i can thumbs up or click "like" for your comment? LOL
    Old republic has so many humanoids and no cows!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Olala View Post
    Is there a way i can thumbs up or click "like" for your comment? LOL
    Old republic has so many humanoids and no cows!
    Yea good thing they didnt put in playable droids like in kotor. A female R2 unit?...hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Hightotem View Post
    from the players that have switched over from wow most of them are over 20 years old that I know of. I think wow will remain the top mmo for younger players and the ladies.
    LADIES!!!!!! I am a 60 year old Sith Marauder totally DARK. Ladies indeed. We are the most deadly of any species. See you in the game. But you won't see me till too late.

10+ Year Old Account
    i love my tauren warrior... oh tauren warrior, your so cool. on the other hand, i haven't seen anything in that game that comes anywhere near as my tauren warrior dual wielding armageddon in full hateful gladiator gear.
    weeee!

Grandma, you have no chance against the youthful fire of the noble beast from Konoha FuzzyBrows Dragoncurry, lets go.

Thanks you for the review

Pretty good points, except that one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaosadvokit View Post
    Bolded part is going to become a bad part. After the wave of newcomers disappears, it will be very hard times to find a second player leveling at the same time for those areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoying both games? Are you insane? /sarcasm off. Good to see someone who can be sensible and not just bash one side or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    Pretty good points, except that one:

Bolded part is going to become a bad part. After the wave of newcomers disappears, it will be very hard times to find a second player leveling at the same time for those areas.
    Dunno about you but I'm going to do my best to level every class - just so I can experience the stories!
    That may take some time...