Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

"Russian Server"

I want to start off by saying I have no problems with Russians. I don't even really mind if people want to speak in general chat in Russian.

I started on the first wave on the 12th, I've been levelling fairly slowly and now have a level 33 that I'm very happy with. I don't want to lose this character. Since a couple of days ago, and especially today, my server's been inundated with Russian in chat. Now as I said, I don't overly mind this (although when it's coming from people who do speak English, and it is, I do think it's quite rude) but the real issue is that when this happens chat is just flooded with racist remarks and frankly quite offensive arguments by both sides.

In short, I've been told I'm now on a "Russian server". Should I abandon my character and start fresh, or is it really not as bad being on a "Russian server" as
    everyone says?

If the server you are is English, they should be made aware that the Language on the chat should be English, otherwise you could report them for that but I don't know if something would happen.
    Last edited by Sesethi; 2011-12-20 at 10:27 PM.

I know people who are stuck on a server where they talk italian in general, party and all other chats, must be really frustrating.
    I don't care if you talk russian, italian, dutch, whatever in your guild chat. But please use damn english in the public chats .. Talking your language in a random party seems to be a bit disrespectful towards others people that do not speak your language.

/end of qq :P
    Boomkin/Mage/Whatever in Fatsharkyes

Just out of interest: What server is this? Asking, as I noticed on my server also were two big russian guilds (biggest guilds on the server), but luckily up to now I had not seen any russian talk on general chat. Also noticed recently someone asking in General Chat "I thought this was supposed a spanish server, I read it on the net, but all people talk english" and a lot of people replying answering this is an english server immediately ;-)

Personally I do not know why people want servers tied to their national language. I like variety. I am german and play on an english server (only speaking english, asides from that one time in LOTRO when I was really tired, and used the wrong language by mistake ... got flamed for it and
    immediately apologized, in english this time ^^)
    Somebody got a Dark Intent and a Focus Magic for Tarecgosa and me? ;-)

My condolences. You are now on a self-declared Russian server and are about to find out that companies are not going to prevent this from happening. The only luck we all have, is the fact that Russians, just like Italians, Spanjards, Germans and other non-English speaking countries seem to prefer clinging together, making other servers a lot more playable. If you've ever watched Russians go at it in a hotel, you know exactly what I mean. I'm not racist, at all in fact, but by god, the term "scum of the earth" comes to mind.

Rift fixed this, brilliantly, by disabling russian (text)characters, crippling them all /cheer.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2011-12-20 at 02:07 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well let's look at this from another perspective:
    1. French servers - are french
    2. German servers - are german
    3. English servers - are international (not english, yep)

These are facts no matter what ToS, EULA, Bioware or EA says.

There are no Russian or Spanish only servers (like French or German). So they are bound to go to English ones.

And then there's majority rule. If majority of people on the server are Russian - it's Russian server. Period. Sucks to be in minority but life's life. Take it or leave it.
    If you do not speak russian at all - roll an alt on really English server and wait for Character Transfers to save your main.
    If you speak russian (no matter how good or bad) use this opportunity to better your language skill if timezone difference allows you to play with server's population in sync.

That's a realistic approach. Russian players are not that different from your common english folks. There are douches everywhere, for sure, just wait and see if you like the population.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    If majority of people on the server are Russian - it's Russian server. Period. Sucks to be in minority but life's life. Take it or leave it.
    Man, I wish there was a law against you people. I hope Bioware does what Rift did. Disable your Russian character set, forcing Russians to either leave, or adapt.

For the record, I'm Dutch. Most Dutch people prefer playing mixed and when they do, they mostly talk English. Why do we do it? Because we believe in a game-experience and we believe that everyone should enjoy the game they play. The spoken language on all servers is English. We adapt, we speak English. There will always be a little bit of foreign ranting, but in general we adapt. Russians, or Spanish people, all the same. Egotistical bastards that refuse to adapt to others.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2011-12-20 at 02:15 PM.

Deleted
    It's pathetic. Russians were the first to send a man to space and they have no dedicated Russian server? Star Wars wouldn't exist without the Russian space program!

On a more serious note, if the server is infested with Russians I'd recommend to move while you still can, because it will end up like Warsong in WoW. Russians will organize and make it a "Russian" server de facto, despite it being officially English.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason Russians do it more than others (if they even do) is because there are many of them. Please do not fool yourself thinking that, for example, British people would not do the same if all servers were, again for example, Korean.
    Players will no longer randomly suffer falling damage.

I just dont understand why people just cant talk in their guild or in whisper if they want to speak another language then english on an ENGLISH server :<

Grinds my gear!
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Man, I wish there was a law against you people. I hope Bioware does what Rift did. Disable your Russian character set, forcing Russians to either leave, or adapt.
    What do you mean by "you people"? And what law?
    And why do you want Russians to use English to chat with other Russians? You mad?
    I wish you had to use Greek alphabet to chat in Dutch, dude. Feel the pain.
    Forcing to leave? The game is sold OFFICIALLY in Russia, dude.
    Blame Bioware, not Russians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    For the record, I'm Dutch. Most Dutch people prefer playing mixed and when they do, they mostly talk English. Why do we do it? Because we believe in a game-experience and we believe that everyone should enjoy the game they play. The spoken language on all servers is English. We adapt, we speak English. There will always be a little bit of foreign ranting, but in general we adapt. Russians, or Spanish people, all the same. Egotistical bastards that refuse to adapt to others.
    You are just being racist. I'm done with you.

I actually agree with him, keep it private or speak English while in public.

For me thats a small thing and it would make it a lot more pleasant for everyone on the server.
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

15+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean by "you people"? And what law?
    And why do you want Russians to use English to chat with other Russians? You mad?
    I wish you had to use Greek alphabet to chat in Dutch, dude. Feel the pain.
    Forcing to leave? The game is sold OFFICIALLY in Russia, dude.
    Blame Bioware, not Russians.

You are just being racist. I'm done with you.
    How is it racist to call people egoistical bastards when they cannot even speak another language and force their language onto others? Nothing to do with any race.
    video game companies: *makes game with female/LGBT characters*

dudebros: wHAT HTe fUCK IS THSI SOCIAL ,.JUSITICE SHI.,,T,,...,.I canNOT,, BELEIVVB nnOT BYINHG...,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenFlames View Post
    How is it racist to call people egoistical bastards when they cannot even speak another language and force their language onto others? Nothing to do with any race.
    particular people? not racist. Whole nations - racist, especially after that rant about how he is Dutch and awesome.

---------- Post added 2011-12-20 at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlycaster View Post
    I actually agree with him, keep it private or speak English while in public.

For me thats a small thing and it would make it a lot more pleasant for everyone on the server.
    So majority should bend over and call minority "Daddy"?

All he said was that he as a dutch respects other people by speaking English, i dont see what the problem is.

10+ Year Old Account
    All he said was that he as a dutch respects other people by speaking English, i dont see what the problem is.
    And then he said Russians and Spanish are the opposite to the Dutch.

15+ Year Old Account
    particular people? not racist. Whole nations - racist, especially after that rant about how he is Dutch and awesome.

---------- Post added 2011-12-20 at 07:58 PM ----------

So majority should bend over and call minority "Daddy"?
    He just said 'Even though I dont have English as main language, I speak English - why cant those Russians etcetc do that too?'.

And what's your point with your second comment in this post? I mean, how would you like it:
    Your talking with a friend on the streets. a friend of your friend comes, and they continue the convo in their language JUST because their the majority? they couldnt care less about what language is spoken in the country (server in this story) and just because their the majority they can speak whatever they like?
    video game companies: *makes game with female/LGBT characters*

dudebros: wHAT HTe fUCK IS THSI SOCIAL ,.JUSITICE SHI.,,T,,...,.I canNOT,, BELEIVVB nnOT BYINHG...,

And then he said Russians and Spanish are the opposite to the Dutch.
    And I happen to agree with him, 5 people from a russian guild on my server started talking to each other in general chat and where at first asked nicely to take it in private but then one of them said "this is our server, get lost" and continued to speak Russian until myself and my other friends ignored them.
    I'm sure there are exceptions but I have yet to see them, in this game or WoW.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well let's look at this from another perspective:
    1. French servers - are french
    2. German servers - are german
    3. English servers - are international (not english, yep)

These are facts no matter what ToS, EULA, Bioware or EA says.

There are no Russian or Spanish only servers (like French or German). So they are bound to go to English ones.

And then there's majority rule. If majority of people on the server are Russian - it's Russian server. Period. Sucks to be in minority but life's life. Take it or leave it.
    If you do not speak russian at all - roll an alt on really English server and wait for Character Transfers to save your main.
    If you speak russian (no matter how good or bad) use this opportunity to better your language skill if timezone difference allows you to play with server's population in sync.

That's a realistic approach. Russian players are not that different from your common english folks. There are douches everywhere, for sure, just wait and see if you like the population.
    LOL no. This is not how it works at all. Get a clue, please.

When it says "English", all business will be conducted in - surprise! - English. There is no mob rule.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    He just said 'Even though I dont have English as main language, I speak English - why cant those Russians etcetc do that too?'.
    No, you can see for yourself what he actually said. I can see what he said. But here you are paraphrasing his racist slur to make him look good. Why?
    And what's your point with your second comment in this post? I mean, how would you like it:
    Your talking with a friend on the streets. a friend of your friend comes, and they continue the convo in their language JUST because their the majority? they couldnt care less about what language is spoken in the country (server in this story) and just because their the majority they can speak whatever they like?
    I don't get your analogy. All i'm saying minority shouldn't dictate what language majority have to use in public.

---------- Post added 2011-12-20 at 08:10 PM ----------

And I happen to agree with him, 5 people from a russian guild on my server started talking to each other in general chat and where at first asked nicely to take it in private but then one of them said "this is our server, get lost" and continued to speak Russian until myself and my other friends ignored them.
    I'm sure there are exceptions but I have yet to see them, in this game or WoW.
    5 people - nice sample size to stereotype the whole nations.

---------- Post added 2011-12-20 at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    LOL no. This is not how it works at all. Get a clue, please.

When it says "English", all business will be conducted in - surprise! - English. There is no mob rule.
    What business? We are talking about in-game communication between players here. Not Customer Service.