Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Russia is not a part of EU. If it were it would be around 25% - more than even Germans (18%). But nice try though.
    Actually a part of Russia is part of Europe and not EU which is a different thing. Russia is half in Europe and half in Asia. You asre in Eurasia
    "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." Muhammad Ali

Russia is not a part of EU. If it were it would be around 25% - more than even Germans (18%). But nice try though.
    Unlikely, since the majority of Russia doesn't speak Russian. But you picked a nice post to reply to. It seems this was the only one you can refute?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
    you know what's funny?
    And you know what's funny? You haven't read the whole therad. Now you're just trying to loop it by going to the beggining. And you have the nerve to imply that I'm trolling. Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Man, I wish there was a law against you people. I hope Bioware does what Rift did. Disable your Russian character set, forcing Russians to either leave, or adapt.

For the record, I'm Dutch. Most Dutch people prefer playing mixed and when they do, they mostly talk English. Why do we do it? Because we believe in a game-experience and we believe that everyone should enjoy the game they play. The spoken language on all servers is English. We adapt, we speak English. There will always be a little bit of foreign ranting, but in general we adapt. Russians, or Spanish people, all the same. Egotistical bastards that refuse to adapt to others.
    hello there mr. racist. Not everyone grew up in a country with good education on in the English tongue, so stop being a hypocrite, games are for everyone and if the russian language is accepted by the majority of the players (other russians) it's a legitimate language, unless the company does something about it. I believe Trion who created Rift disabled Cyrrilic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by methus View Post
    Actually a part of Russia is part of Europe and not EU which is a different thing. Russia is half in Europe and half in Asia. You asre in Eurasia
    Thank you Captain Obvious. Now you should understand why it's the EU in the quote and not Europe.
    Unlikely, since the majority of Russia doesn't speak Russian.
    Not sure if serious, should I report you?

But you picked a nice post to reply to. It seems this was the only one you can refute?
    I replied to something worth replying. Everything else has been refuted pages ago. No need to go into a loop. I hope you understand this.

Deleted
    And you know what's funny? You haven't read the whole therad. Now you're just trying to loop it by going to the beggining. And you have the nerve to imply that I'm trolling. Funny!
    I quoted your comment from that very same side so I don't really know what you mean...

So let's hear arguments, why should an international server with swedes, danish, norse,finnish people, italians and spaniards, germans, french, portguese, polish, czech, dutch, russians, LOTS of different nations not enforce english as the only language to be used in public chats so anyone can understand?

Also I only said I was hoping you were trolling, I had a bad feeling already you weren't...

10+ Year Old Account
    I quoted your comment from that very same side so I don't really know what you mean...

So let's hear arguments, why should an international server with swedes, danish, norse,finnish people, italians and spaniards, germans, french, portguese, polish, czech, dutch, russians, LOTS of different nations not enforce english as the only language to be used in public chats so anyone can understand?

Also I only said I was hoping you were trolling, I had a bad feeling already you weren't...
    I tell you this only once - it was already said ITT, which you have failed to read:

1. If there's almost equal amount of people of different languages on the server - they should speak English in general chat
    2. If one language is utterly dominating - this is the language of the server. You should expect this language in general chat.

Deleted
    It's easy to segregate yourself from the overall community, just create a guild.

Deleted
    There is still an "english" tag next to the server.
    Every english server starts as an international server, the only reason one language might be dominant over time is because ignorant foreign language speakers keep alienating everyone else with their behaviour until nobody is left to object.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutes View Post
    hello there mr. racist. Not everyone grew up in a country with good education on in the English tongue, so stop being a hypocrite, games are for everyone and if the russian language is accepted by the majority of the players (other russians) it's a legitimate language, unless the company does something about it. I believe Trion who created Rift disabled Cyrrilic
    If you have the internet connection required to play an MMO you have all the tools you need to take your destiny into your own hands and educate yourself. It's the age of the internet, if you were dealt a bad hand and couldn't learn english in school, not your fault. If you are not catching up now that you can though there is one person only at fault and it is you.

Russian is never accepted by the majority of the players on any server. The only reason it becomes the majorly accepted language over time is because everybody else was alienated and expelled by the uncouth "assimilation" of those poor servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Juchi View Post
    So I'l help you. ;P According to goha.ru site the Russians Servers are :
    Starstorm One. PvP
    Nightmare Lands. PvE
    Trask Ulgo. RP-PVE
    Trask Ulgo is NOT a russian server. There is one big russian guild (on both republic + empire side) there, yes, but there are as big UK guilds there. And as far as I know spanish guilds (they claim it would be not a russian or UK but a spanish server). So it clearly is NOT a russian server, but just a server where a higher percentage of russians is than on other servers. As the russians seem to be all in one guild this simplifies things (I play on this server, and I did not see russian talk in general chat even a single time - I ran across people from that russian guild questing occasionally though, usually they don't say anything, probably not speaking english). I assume the reason why the russians are all in one guild is so they can talk in their motherlanguage without disturbing others (at least this is my guess, based on that I never saw any russian in general chat - I saw spanish several times, even though much less spanish people on the server).

Examining the guilds with the highest member numbers on Trask Ulgo (according to swtorprogress.com):

Russian: 342+284 = 626 (both one guild, their republic+empire parts)
    UK based: 256+163+50+42 = 511
    US based: 106
    Spanish based: 98
    Unspecified English language based: 60+74+58 (leader from Sweden, Guild English language)+48+46+45 (leader from Norway, guild
    english language)+45 (leader from Czech)+43 (leader from Netherlands)

Even if we assume that those Swedish/Norway/Czech/Netherlands guilds do not use english but their motherlanguage it would look like this (only looking at guilds with at least 40 members). But most likely it is even more english as the guilds with Swedish/Norway/Czech/Netherlands leader gave "English" as language, so it might be it is a leader from a country with a different motherlanguage who still speaks english in game. Especially with three HUGE english-language guilds on this server. I just don't know what these non-english, non-russian, non-spanish guildleaders use as guildlanguage for sure, so we cannot really assume anything there.

Russian: 626 35%
    English: 845 48%
    Spanish: 98 6%
    Other languages: 11%

Yes, Russian makes the second biggest group, but the by far biggest group is non-russian.

I would call it an "international server".
    Last edited by MagicSN; 2011-12-21 at 02:39 PM.
    Somebody got a Dark Intent and a Focus Magic for Tarecgosa and me? ;-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Every english server starts as an international server, the only reason one language might be dominant over time is because ignorant foreign language speakers keep alienating everyone else with their behaviour until nobody is left to object.
    Dude, you need majority to alienate people on the server. Or are you implying that a single Russian player can empty 100% English server by talking trash in general chat? Get outta here!

If you have the internet connection required to play an MMO you have all the tools you need to take your destiny into your own hands and educate yourself. It's the age of the internet, if you were dealt a bad hand and couldn't learn english in school, not your fault. If you are not catching up now that you can though there is one person only at fault and it is you.
    Do you think I have any problems chatting with you in English on this forum?
    How are your Russian lessons going? Any progress? You have the internetz. Destiny is in your hands.
    Russian is never accepted by the majority of the players on any server.
    Lol. Russian is always accepted by the Russian majority on any server.

You can sort of remove germans from this list. There actually are official german servers and the amount of germans on english language servers is low (and those germans who ARE - like me - join a non-german server and will NOT speak german on it - personally I just like international servers with all sorts of nationalities on them and naturally I will speak english on such a server).
    Somebody got a Dark Intent and a Focus Magic for Tarecgosa and me? ;-)

It's always interesting to see the Asian-European use of "race". Last I checked Russians and Dutch are all pasty Caucasians. Now, if one of you hates the other because of your country of origin, you are quite nationalistic, but unless you're different types of humans, you're not racist, just silly. You're not even justifying your bias on something measurable, like actual race traits...just what flag you camp out under. No wonder World Wars start over there.

15+ Year Old Account

I meant people who live within the EU that have russian as their native language ie. russians.... working abroad you know.
    EU - European Union, not Europe.
    But nice try

Now wonder why russian players are widely considred the most annoying players in the gamingworld.
    Some form of grandeur stigma since CPPP where they think they are entitled to spam generals chats with text a very limited few can understand.

* Play games with russian realms
    * Try to make the developers release them if missing
    * If not, wooh, type russian in private chats and stop deminishing the gameplay for all players who use english in an english game.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2011-12-21 at 03:39 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Dude, you need majority to alienate people on the server. Or are you implying that a single Russian player can empty 100% English server by talking trash in general chat? Get outta here!
    Oh so I see how things go around here. We come, we conquer, we own kinda deal, like it was in WW II. Who cares what the people on the server want. We many we dictate. Why coexist when it's so much easier to impose your way unto others. Did anybody care about the Indians who lived there before the Americans came and took their lands. Neah, we Americans we many, we got guns you either do as we tell you or gtfo.

How are your Russian lessons going? Any progress? You have the internetz. Destiny is in your hands.
    How are your Romanian lessons going? Oh you don't study it, guess it's because we are not as big as you. How about Polish? NO, how about Serbian,Greek etc? You have the Internet ... you know the rest. Another funny thing. How come so many people in Europe and other continents can speak English or at least understand it enough to communicate but MOST Russians can't. Did your brain freeze and you can't learn anything else? People like Russians/Germans/Italians refuse to talk or learn English because they don't really give a damn about others. People from less developed countries can yet they can't ...

Hitler's Germany accepted his Nazi beliefs and Germans in the other countries did as well, but that doesn't mean the other people from the occupied countries(in this case invaded server) did.
    Last edited by methus; 2011-12-21 at 03:36 PM.
    "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." Muhammad Ali

I can't understand the rage in this thread. To me the solution is simple. there should be at least 1 server for every language in supported regions. These servers should be clearly marked. If you decide of your own accord to play on a server that is not listed as your language of choice that's your problem. And if the use of your langauge on that non supported server causes disruptions then you should be moved to the appropriate server (obviously this is extreme cases, examples of which I can't even think of)

I have been in many situations where a party member has spoken to a friend in another language (mostly spanish or french, I'm Canadian) and it hasn't bothered me because when it came time to discuss strategy they switched to english. I have also been in situations where they can't communicate with me at all and the flashpoint/dungeon/LOL game has turned to crap. as long as we can avoid the latter speak in wingdings for all i care. For the record I would have no business being on a french language server. I would be useless and disruptive because I would have no clue how to interact with people.

Just enjoy the game and drop all the nationalistic crap. I'd be happy to have any person on my server as long as they can effectively communicate WHEN IT COUNTS. General chat doesn't matter.

Deleted
    let me think about that one for a minute. I am sure I can construct a joke around that in the way of "how many russians do you need to ..." lol

I was talking generally here, not adressing you or anyone in specific.
    I actually had a choice to pick up Russian in school, a friend of mine did that though the year before and he regretted it so I picked dutch instead (which might be equally useless to me but at least it included a couple of school-funded coffeeshop vacations )

We are the borg?

let me think about that one for a minute. I am sure I can construct a joke around that in the way of "how many russians do you need to ..." lol

I was talking generally here, not adressing you or anyone in specific.
    I actually had a choice to pick up Russian in school, a friend of mine did that though the year before and he regretted it so I picked dutch instead (which might be equally useless to me but at least it included a couple of school-funded coffeeshop vacations )

We are the borg?
    Your post made me chuckle, thank you for that.
    Last edited by methus; 2011-12-21 at 10:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    In Soviet Russia, Cyrillic fonts don't have SWTOR.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    "English server" doesn't mean shit. It DOESN'T mean you are required to only speak english. It doesn't mean anything.
    That's bullshit and you know it. They wouldn't bother labeling servers with languages if they didn't have some intent behind it. AAA game studios on the verge of a big title release don't do things without reason. That's the weakest argument yet.

You're conveniently ignoring the fact that there are French and Spanish realms up. Do those words also mean nothing?

No, of course not.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".