Upgrading my computer for SWTOR

Hello! I've started to play SWTOR and noticed that the game runs fine when playing solo content, but in areas with many players (especially PvP Warzones), my FPS drops to a not so comfortable level.

That's why I would like to upgrade my computer so I can keep a steady FPS in Battlegrounds/Warzones and even Raids/Operations.

Here are my system specs:

The whole computer is a Dell XPS 420 (unmodified so far)

Operating System: Windows 7 32-bit
    Ram: 4GB
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2,4GHz
    Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 GTX
    PSU: 425W
    Motherboard: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../PDF/OM_EN.pdf (Page 103)

Does anyone have any tips on what I could do? Would it be enough to upgrade my graphics card (and PSU if necessary)? According to this test, SWTOR doesn't seem to be using that much CPU power.

Thanks in advance, and please tell me if you need more information.

Deleted
    In my humble opinion you need a new PC more or less if you don't want to experience FPS drops in crowded areas. Other than that just play around with the graphical settings until you find something comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    In my humble opinion you need a new PC more or less if you don't want to experience FPS drops in crowded areas. Other than that just play around with the graphical settings until you find something comfortable.
    right now it's pretty much impossible to play around with the graphical setting for the game. Seems like they are still in "beta" when it comes to that regard and the graphics don't really change even if you change the settings. There's no time table for this issue either so if you don't feel like waiting to see what happens then you should consider upgrading your computer.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The first thing I would upgrade is your video card. The 8800GT came out in 2006, it is now five years old technology. By far it is the biggest sink for your game performance. I would suggest upgrade to either a GTX560 Ti or higher model or the Radeon HD6850 or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    The first thing I would upgrade is your video card. The 8800GT came out in 2006, it is now five years old technology. By far it is the biggest sink for your game performance. I would suggest upgrade to either a GTX560 Ti or higher model or the Radeon HD6850 or higher.
    Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines too, I will probably end up buying a GTX560 TI. Thanks for the help! Do you have a GTX560 TI or maybe another card that you would recommend?
    Last edited by Pikabanga; 2011-12-20 at 06:55 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikabanga View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines too, I will probably end up buying a GTX560 TI. Thanks for the help! Do you have a GTX560 TI or maybe another card that you would recommend?
    If it is within your budget you should definitely pick up a GTX560 Ti and a new power supply. You would want a minimum of a 500W 80+ certified power supply, preferably from OCZ, Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec. If you want to SLI dual video cards you want a minimum of a 650W 80+ certified power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    If it is within your budget you should definitely pick up a GTX560 Ti and a new power supply. You would want a minimum of a 500W 80+ certified power supply, preferably from OCZ, Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec. If you want to SLI dual video cards you want a minimum of a 650W 80+ certified power supply.
    Yeah, I will probably end up buying one. Do you recommend any specific GTX560 TI? Thanks everyone for your help!

Yeah, I will probably end up buying one. Do you recommend any specific GTX560 TI? Thanks everyone for your help!
    This one is one of the top ones
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127615

Edit
    here are a couple other ones that cost a little bit less
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127578
    and
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127565
    Last edited by anveena; 2011-12-20 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Thanks! Do you think my CPU would bottleneck if I buy the expensive one?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks! Do you think my CPU would bottleneck if I buy the expensive one?
    Yeah without purchasing the latest Intel I3, I5, or I7 processor there will be some performance hindered by your CPU. The best approximation I can give you is 10 to 30%. Personally I would suggest upgrading the graphics card for the time being and seeing what kind of performance difference that makes for ya.

Even now the Q6600 is still considered a pretty good chip.