Blood DK PvP noob (need advice)

ok, I'm dusting off my DK, i wanna play some blood PvP, what race should i chose? and does anyone have a basic spec i could go for?

requests:
    1. a basic PvP spec (random BGs, 2s, maybe 3s if it matters)
    2. stat weights/reforging
    3. race?

thx in advance!

Deleted
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/burning-legion/Jäänsurma/advanced

That's my "casual" DK. Random BG's and 2s for points. I haven't fine tuned the hit rating, I think I have 25 extra, so I could swap some points around by reforging. However, that's how I would build it.

As for stats, get the 195 spell penetration and enough hit rating to get 5%. Reforge everything to mastery beyond that. I've gemmed stamina a bit, but red slots are strength.

I'm sure it's not a viable build for arenas or even rated battlegrounds, but it definitely works for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just do it in my PvE Blood spec, with dodge+parry => Resilience instead, and Human for the free PvP trinket.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Bloodelf is good becouse of the AoE Silence

Race doesn't matter. When facing a melee enemy - spam Death Strike. When facing something ranged - spam death strike and CoI. Oh, refresh your diseases.

Deleted
    This is only random BG experience talking here, but the only time I use diseases is when I use RW+Outbreak combo on an armored target or a healer to get four diseases on and take the target down a bit faster. I never use IT or PS, they waste precious runes which are needed for DS, which most likely crits more than IT/PS and their DoTs do put together anyway.

One thing you might want to remember is to keep your rune bar as close to 100 or higher as possible, since it buffs your DS damage (+40% at 100 rune). That's how you get those huge crits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

Reforge everything to mastery beyond that.
    Are you aware that the mastery shield does not protect against magic damage? I tried reforging to mastery on my dk and it left me very vulnerable to mages. I've tried reforging to haste and although it doesn't give me a direct increase in defense, i'm not much more vulnerable against melee and I find I can get more Death Strikes in which in turn means more healing (increased rune speed).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Are you aware that the mastery shield does not protect against magic damage? I tried reforging to mastery on my dk and it left me very vulnerable to mages. I've tried reforging to haste and although it doesn't give me a direct increase in defense, i'm not much more vulnerable against melee and I find I can get more Death Strikes in which in turn means more healing (increased rune speed).
    You lose any and all advantage from haste and faster rune regeneration speed in those 1-2 seconds when your runes have already popped up and you're not using them because the mage you're chasing isn't in melee range so you can't hit him.

Also, as far as I could tell, the gains are so unbelievably small that I'd rather take the higher absorb shield. In any case, I'm talking about random battlegrounds here, which I'm sure I've mentioned before, and I've had no problem with mages there.

We have plenty of counters for the worst of the mages out there - AMS, 7 second ranged silence, interrupt in melee range, grip to negate their blink, DS to clone their blink/block - as well as such huge survivability - IBF, VB, ghoul sac, RT, Lichborne and DC heals - that those few DS you should get in should easily take any mage apart, and by the time you're all out of tricks, you really should have some backup.

So yeah, if you envision yourself being able to hit DS instantly every single time your runes have popped, then sure, faster rune regeneration time might be good. If however you find yourself not using runes for even a few seconds, I would think your haste is useless.

I might be mistaken, of course.

Deleted
    Could be better going for crit maybe?

I dunno, it just seems like a waste when we're so OP against melee anyway.

If you're dusting off your DK specifically for PvP, why not play a real spec? As blood you're going to hit a rough ceiling around 1600 rating. Supposing you're doing 2s, you will lose to every healer comp, and any competent double DPS at that point... Frost/Unholy are both very good spec, and can both easily wipe the floor with a blood DK, even in a duel (just kite.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WraithZach View Post
    As blood you're going to hit a rough ceiling around 1600 rating. Supposing you're doing 2s, you will lose to every healer comp, and any competent double DPS at that point
    Well, that's not quite true. My friend and I are at 1751 with our dual blood team right now, and we've beaten quite a few healer comps and dual DPS', including annoying stuff like priest+mage or mage+rogue. I guess a blood+healer team might do worse since there would be no damage output, but 1600 rating seems quite low still.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, that's not quite true. My friend and I are at 1751 with our dual blood team right now, and we've beaten quite a few healer comps and dual DPS', including annoying stuff like priest+mage or mage+rogue. I guess a blood+healer team might do worse since there would be no damage output, but 1600 rating seems quite low still.
    quite the achievement. why struggle to hit 1800 when you can learn to really pvp and have a chance of 2.2+
    Last edited by WraithZach; 2011-12-23 at 01:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WraithZach View Post
    quite the achievement. why struggle to hit 1800 when you can learn to really pvp and have a chance of 2.2+
    No need to get all high and mighty and condescending just because I pointed out that you were wrong. I'm sure you're an arena pro, but unfortunately that doesn't really mean much to me.

As I said before, we're simply doing the eight wins a week, which has been around ten or so games, so it's been hardly a struggle. I'm sure we will hit a wall sooner rather than later, but so far getting the 1350 points from arenas has taken a lot less time than getting it from BG wins.

As for "really PvP:ing" goes, I come from a solo PK background from games where PK:ing was something fun. I don't do e-sports, and the whole concept of arenas bores me. I'd rather fight alone than with a friend, let alone two, but I'm fortunate in being able to play with my RL friend who's the same way in that regard as I am.

I don't care for learning how to counter a certain comp, or how to play together with a certain comp. I'd much rather play completely spontaneous situations where nothing is scripted and rehearsed. That's where you have to think fast and adapt to the situation. Arena battles seem so much like chess, where everything is so predictable you can practice doing it and think ten steps ahead with no surprises whatsoever, that even the commentators know what's coming long before it happens. I'm sure it's fun for some, the whole life for others, but it means nothing to me, so getting to 1800, 2200, 3700 or 6900 is completely irrelevant.

All I was saying before was that we've managed to already reach 1751 with very little effort and we've easily taken down the comps you said would destroy a blood DK, so I was pointing out that my personal experience shows you're wrong. Granted, we are a double DK team, so we get to do some damage since at least one of us has to get some Vengeance going, but anyway.

I'd much rather be doing something else right now, seeing as though it's Christmas and all, than argue with some condescending high and mighty arena professional with his head full of yellow liquid, so I'll leave it at that.