Thread: GW2 Expansions

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

GW2 Expansions

No, it's not too early to speculate!

Anyway, in my grumbling as I waited impatiently for today's blog post, I stumbled upon this quote from Eric Flannum in an interview, not sure if it's been discussed yet:
    We have a rough plan for our first two expansions as well as a plan for what our live team will be implementing in mind right now. Part of our initial design was to purposefully leave areas of the world open for expansion.

It’s important to point out that these are very rough plans, because I think that fan feedback will be a huge factor in what we choose to include in future expansion and live team releases.
    If you're familiar with the map of Tyria, you know what he's talking about with the "leaving the world open" thing. Basically we have no idea what is to the North, East or West of the map borders. To the South and Southeast, there is Cantha and Elona respectively. So which direction are they going to take us? We essentially know we'll be dealing with Zhaitan in the initial release, so what happens with the other 4 Elder Dragons?

Elona is oppressed by Palawa Joko - no thanks to us - and has been likely turned into an entirely different landscape than what we saw in GW1. Kralkatorrik, the Elder Dragon whose name is the most obnoxious to remember how to spell (I got it right, I had to double-check though) and creator of the Dragonbrand, is also somewhere in that region.

Cantha is completely shut off thanks to the rising of Orr, and the isolationist empire that thinks if you ain't human you should GTFO. Not to mention the Jade Sea has probably returned to being an actual sea (lol see ya Luxons) and the Echovald Forest has become more forest-y. Perhaps "Bubbles" the deep-sea Elder Dragon is messing with Cantha? Or is he near the Ring of Fire? Who knows, he doesn't even have a real name.

Then there's Primordius, who the Asura certainly have a bone to pick with after driving them to the surface in the first place. What are he and his destroyers plotting beneath the surface of Tyria? I bet the Norn would like to knock out a few more of Jormag's teeth, sending us into the far, far, far Shiverpeaks. Or, will the new content not have anything to do with the Elder Dragons at all? What happened to the Divines? What has that @*^& Kormir been up to since stealing my Godhood? What became of Dhuum and Menzies? The Mursaat?

My personal feelings are the first two expansions will deal with Elona and the Far Shiverpeaks. We'll see the constant warring between the forces of Palawa Joko and Kralkatorrik and find some remnants of the Sunspears (or even the Forgotten?) to re-liberate Elona. In the North, with our new playable Kodan (I hope), we'll deal with Jormag and perhaps find some Stone Summit to slaughter and see what happened to the Dwarves. I don't see Cantha happening within the first two expansions, unless they group the Shiverpeaks and Elona together for the first one.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I hope is they don't pull a Wow and kill off "the old world" by shipping the entire level capped population to a new map.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Hoping for Cantha myself, so I can have my playable Naga . Naga Thief anyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    I'm already taking bets that Naga and Tengu will be the Canthan races xD

@Mif, i have a feeling we will be going to new places though... we did in GW1, however i do NOT think it'll be like in wow where once the Xpac comes out everything else becomes obsolete. In GW1 it seemed more like when new xpacs and campaigns came out it was more like "Aaaaaaand here's more content!" like people still do stuff in tyria, cantha, and elona, even though EoTN is out. In wow god forbid someone went to ICC after cata hit lol
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    I'm cool with Naga/Forgotten as long as we get Tengu.

And yeah the devs seem to be aware of splitting the playerbase/making old content obsolete, pretty sure we don't need to worry about it too much. It's a shame in GW1 that I enjoyed the Prophecies content the most but there hasn't been anyone there since Factions released, and even moreso when those damned Heroes came with Nightfall.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2011-12-20 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    All I hope is they don't pull a Wow and kill off "the old world" by shipping the entire level capped population to a new map.
    i think its the only way... to introduce "new lands" or "previously blocked off lands". i m sure its the same in gw1. how else do u see new expansions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    I'm cool with Naga/Forgotten as long as we get Tengu.

And yeah the devs seem to be aware of splitting the playerbase/making old content obsolete, pretty sure we don't need to worry about it too much. It's a shame in GW1 that I enjoyed the Prophecies content the most but there hasn't been anyone there since Factions released, and even moreso when those damned Heroes came with Nightfall.
    Really? I still see plenty of people in those outposts! Especially the later ones (desert and onward)
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Guild Wars 2 mechanics mean all content is always viable and available and the Expansions will be on the Tyria map so even though alot of people will convene to expansion maps i doubt the world will be like WoWs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasere View Post
    Guild Wars 2 mechanics mean all content is always viable and available and the Expansions will be on the Tyria map so even though alot of people will convene to expansion maps i doubt the world will be like WoWs.
    Yeah that's quite true.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god you guys don't get me hyping over expansions already. *pulls hair out*
    I NEED THIS GAME.

Deleted
    Well, until all Anet developers will not get Alzheimer's disease and suddenly change their minds, there will be ALWAYS horizontal progression. That means they will never introduce items which would make the older content obsolete. So.. even items from fifth expansion will have the same power as those from the first game. That's a fact and their official statement.

As for extra levels.. I doubt that they will add it, officially they are thinking about it, but they do recognize the consequences and they are not "sold" on this idea. So it's 50/50 when it comes to extra levels.

Deleted
    well because of the downscaling even adding extra levels would not make content obsolete

Deleted
    I would love Cantha as the second expansion, to see how it has changed over 250 years, if Luxon and Kurzick still exists, and explore the depths of the Jade Sea, if it turned back that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that we'll see Cantha or Elona too in-depth, or rather, I don't think that we'll have entire expansions dedicated to just one of those places to start. It would be silly for Guild Wars 2 to tread the same expansion path that the first game did.

That said, they certainly seem to have left a couple of hints/threads about returning to Elona and Cantha, and I can only imagine how mind-blowing an expansion would be that featured both of them, playable Tengu included...

Augh. This is why having internet is bad for me. I just find more ways to want GW2.

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

I'm happy to see an expansion to Cantha/Elona if we get new races or professions but I hope we don't end up with the old world empty. Though I have my fingers crossed for playable tengu.

Considering their business model, they will need to get new expansions out on regular basis. On the other hand, they will probably want to keep the old content functional, so changes in things like level cap are a big unknown. It wasn't changed in GW1, but who knows how they will treat it in GW2.

It does make a lot of sense not to change level cap between expansions though. You don't have to re-balance character stats and such, which helps you focus on skill balance only, and put more resources into actual content generation. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    i think its the only way... to introduce "new lands" or "previously blocked off lands". i m sure its the same in gw1. how else do u see new expansions?
    Please dont make remarks indicating your sure about something when you obviously do not have any knowledge on the subject. Nothing of the sort happend in GW1. Each campaign was approximately as big as the first game and was actually stand alone. you could start a new character there and the non core professions were restricted to starting in their own campaign. However each campaign had a branch point about 1/5 of the way into it where you could then freely take a character to another campaign from that point on. Characters from foreign campaigns could join into that one from that point but could also go back to previous areas/missions if they wished. You could level to the cap in any campaign and in fact aside from prophesies(first one) you spent the majority of the game at the level cap. Factions and nightfall if you were not at cap by the time you reached the crossover point you were prety close too it. The only population shift that happened in GW1 thanks to expansions is the primary trading hub shifted to the nightfall main city although the others were still very active as well. you'll find plenty of trade spam in any major city its just more of it in Kamadan.

Basicly all the content was relivent to already established characters. Due to the auto scaleing even low lvl content in a new expansion in GW2 will be just as relivent at lvl 80 as lvl 1. Content in previous expansions in wow and similar games only becomes obsoleat because of the constant level bumps, lack of sidekicking down to match content, the 1 time off quest structure, and the ever inflating gear curve. GW2's designs do not include any of those limitations so its a non issue.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2011-12-20 at 11:36 PM.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    as a noob to the GW universe, i looked up some of the races that yall were talking about and i found the tengu to be pimp! i must have one!

Deleted
    I'm kinda sure we will go back to Cantha once Zhaitan is dealt with.

There seems to be some interesting stuff going on.
    Its last known emperor is Usoku, successor to Kisu. He defeated the Kurzicks and the Luxons, re-annexing them into the empire, before driving all non-humans from the lands. Anyone who disagreed with his rule was exiled.
    After the defeat of Shiro the Betrayer, the curse of the Jade Wind was lifted and the forest slowly came out of its stone slumber while the sea reverted to its watery state.
    ohmygod

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's my ideal expansion for Cantha:
    -Tengu race
    -Some new form of ritualist
    -81+ or whatever+ after first expac
    -Additional Character Slots
    -New zones in Cantha unseen in GW 1
    -Echovald and Jade Sea recovered

Or Elona:
    -Dunno about race, maybe some new, redeemed margonite? Possibly centaur since mounts don't exist?
    -New form of paragon
    -81+ or whatever+ after the first expac
    -Additional Character slots
    -New zones like above
    -Sulfurous wastelands recovered? (Don't even know if this is possible, for Cantha, evidence was already seen in game)
    -Realm of Torment restored to Kormir's realm, possibly as a city or outpost