Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted

Schiedam (A.K.A. 'Black Nazareth'), The Netherlands.

A city with medieval origin with the tallest old windmills that harnessed the power of the wind and water to......make lots and LOTS of moonshine .

I myself live on the outskirts of the city in a neighborhood dubbed 'little Sweden' where the streets are named 'Stockholm', 'Malmö' and 'Helsingborg' etc. I'll leave the rest of the tell-taling to Wikipedia© .

Schiedam is a city and municipality in the province of South Holland in the Netherlands. It is part of the Rotterdam metropolitan area. The city is located west of Rotterdam, east of Vlaardingen and south of Delft. In the south it is connected with the village of Pernis by the Beneluxtunnel.

It is known because of its historical center with its canals, and the tallest old windmills in the world. Schiedam is also known for the production of jenever (gin) - such as the internationally-renowned Ketel One - so much so that in French and English the word schiedam (usually without a capital s-) refers to the town's Holland gin. This was the town's main industry during the early Industrial Revolution in the 18th and 19th century, a dark period to which it owed its former nickname "Zwart Nazareth" of "black Nazareth".

History

Around the year 1250 the river Schie was dammed to protect the polderland from the seawater. The dam attracted trade activities because goods for and from the hinterland had to be transhipped. A small town developed around the dam and its activities.

In the year 1275 Schiedam received city rights from Aleida van Avesnes, sister of William II, count of Holland.

The 18th century was Schiedam's Golden Age, when the gin industry flourished. Five windmills in the town, called De Noord, Walvisch, Drie Koornbloemen, Nieuwe Palmboom and Vrijheid, and many storehouses are relicts of this past. In one of the former factories at the Lange Haven the Jenever Museum is established.

On 10 august 1856 the first major train crash in the Netherlands happened near the Schiedam railway station, causing 3 deaths.[1] On 4 May 1976 the Schiedam train disaster took place near the station which resulted in 24 deaths.
    (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiedam)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    to where? i'm curious sorry xD
    Who knows, at least I get to move close to Pittsburgh for college

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Another important factor:

I don't plan on moving anytime soon.
    Are you trying to tell me that it is hotter in Minneapolis in the summer than it is in San Diego Cali?

Deleted
    Bucharest, capital of Romania, country member of the European Union, Europe. Isn't it lovely? (yes, I'm sarcastic)

This giant building in the background of the ugly falling blocks is the House of People, the first building as surface in Europe and second in the world after the Pentagon. It's filled with riches as that's where the senators and deputees stay. It alone consumes as much electrical power as the second largest city in our country, eats as much as 3/4 of the city budget for maintaining on its feet.

You'll have seen that besides a few trees on the sides of some streets, there's a lack of trees, now you may think I'm giving you a view of most populated areas where there's less parks... well no. We have few parks and we're cutting them to build skyscrapers on the spots.

And the... funny picture! This is why I walk a lot(picture taken at an actual intersection close to me, traffic is like that every single day):
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2011-12-25 at 08:15 PM.