Deleted

Frost DK - 4set tier 13 or 2set tier 12 + 2set tier 13?

Hello fellow death knights!

I am not quite excited with our 4 setbonus proc (710 +mastery). I just obtained the 4th piece and the setbonus didn't have the expected positive impact on my overall damage done and DPS. I'm worried about the generel uptime of the proc because, as it is stated, it only has a 25% chance on proccing from Runic Empowerment which has a 45% chance of proccing from our Frost Strikes. That makes the proc rate/uptime even lower.

The 4set bonus doesn't really help up alot since we can't rely on it when the proc rate is so minor. It makes it harder for us to time it with our Pillar of Frost and a possible trinket CD. We can't effort to delay our PoF to much because it will become a DPS/total damage done loss on a 5-6 min. encounter. Since it is our Frost Strikes that basically controls the proc of our 4set it once again place us in a bad situation where we wouldn't benefit as much from our 4set if Obliterate caused the proc. When burning down your frost strikes, you'll have to replenish your runic power so you'll be able to dump with frost strikes once again. It doesn't take more than a couple of seconds but them couple of seconds ARE crucial! We'll have to much time where we won't will be using either Howling Blast or Frost Strike and therefore I don't see our 4set as beneficial as I wanted it to be. In AoE sequences it could be very useful, I agree, but then again... we can't rely on a proc chance this low.

What's your thoughts about this?

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulzy View Post
    Hello fellow death knights!

I am not quite excited with our 4 setbonus proc (710 +mastery). I just obtained the 4th piece and the setbonus didn't have the expected positive impact on my overall damage done and DPS. I'm worried about the generel uptime of the proc because, as it is stated, it only has a 25% chance on proccing from Runic Empowerment which has a 45% chance of proccing from our Frost Strikes. That makes the proc rate/uptime even lower.

The 4set bonus doesn't really help up alot since we can't rely on it when the proc rate is so minor. It makes it harder for us to time it with our Pillar of Frost and a possible trinket CD. We can't effort to delay our PoF to much because it will become a DPS/total damage done loss on a 5-6 min. encounter. Since it is our Frost Strikes that basically controls the proc of our 4set it once again place us in a bad situation where we wouldn't benefit as much from our 4set if Obliterate caused the proc. When burning down your frost strikes, you'll have to replenish your runic power so you'll be able to dump with frost strikes once again. It doesn't take more than a couple of seconds but them couple of seconds ARE crucial! We'll have to much time where we won't will be using either Howling Blast or Frost Strike and therefore I don't see our 4set as beneficial as I wanted it to be. In AoE sequences it could be very useful, I agree, but then again... we can't rely on a proc chance this low.

What's your thoughts about this?
    Well I think we would have to consider all that extra STR you get upgrading those pieces. Depends on if you're comparing 378 > 384 [LFR] or 391 FL (H) > 397 Dragon Soul or even 378 > 397 DS. Either way it might be considerable amount know what i mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    4set T13 definitely. It will take some "getting used to", but the t12 2 piece was hardly a dps increase (especially with the t13 2 set in effect). I don't see how 710 mastery would ever be a dps loss (it won't ever be). The stat increase alone should make up for any difference.
    Last edited by Varyk; 2011-12-22 at 10:59 AM.

He is not saying the mastery is a dps loss the proc chance of it is what could make it a loss. I for one am very dissapointed with it as frost has hardly any up time at all during any fight. But when i went over to unholy its proc is just stupid good off of the Runic corruption. But i think the stats alone are enough to do with T13

1 word.

unholy.

Deleted
    Disregarding all the other stats, the mastery increase is still a benefit, especially if you go Masterfrost (see EJ thread).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miehkki View Post
    Disregarding all the other stats, the mastery increase is still a benefit, especially if you go Masterfrost (see EJ thread).
    Masterfrost (and stacking mastery) has been proven to be less effective than the "regular" priority and stat weights, unless of course there are several occasions where Aoe damage is necessary. Not to mention playing it "correctly" instead of the "dumbed down" version that is referenced in the EJ thread, is almost impossible. something a sim could barely pull off with zero latency, no movement, and perfect execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    Masterfrost (and stacking mastery) has been proven to be less effective than the "regular" priority and stat weights, unless of course there are several occasions where Aoe damage is necessary. Not to mention playing it "correctly" instead of the "dumbed down" version that is referenced in the EJ thread, is almost impossible. something a sim could barely pull off with zero latency, no movement, and perfect execution.
    I personally gained a dps increase on pure singletarget switching to masterfrost, before I had 4set. Got that since this evening, downgraded one hc firelands tier piece to a lfr piece but overall should be a nice gain. Masterfrost has less downtime overall anyway, so 2set t12 wasnt that effective for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saanu View Post
    He is not saying the mastery is a dps loss the proc chance of it is what could make it a loss. I for one am very dissapointed with it as frost has hardly any up time at all during any fight. But when i went over to unholy its proc is just stupid good off of the Runic corruption. But i think the stats alone are enough to do with T13
    Have you actually looked at logs for the 4-piece uptime for frost? I have seen ~60% uptime on bosses with high uptime. It drops a little on high movement bosses, but it is far from being weak for frost.
    Last edited by Bolvye; 2011-12-23 at 02:14 PM.

What you're also forgetting is the fact that T13 improves your stats as well. You do, however, have to change your playstyle a little bit once you lose the T12 2 piece, since your RP income is a lot lower, but I feel the T13 2 piece helps close that gap.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL