Thread: Guild Size

Guild Size

So I've been thinking about grouping in Guild Wars 2, and something occurred to me. Is there a reason for the "traditional" MMO guild?

Dynamic events and hot-joinable PVP mean that the largest group you'll need will be 5. Dungeons and ranked PVP both use a group size of 5.

Are GW2 guilds going to be more like WoW arena teams than WoW guilds?

Personally, I'd love if this were the case. There's always that guy. You know the guy. The guy who you can't stand but need to put up with because you need the guild. Seems to me you'll be able to find 4 or 5 people you actually like and you'll be set.

So what are your plans? Will you be joining a 1000 person social guild? Playing with a few RL friends? Finding a traditional sized guild (40ish people)?

Also, LF4M for GW2 Guild

If I remember right, they said you could be in any number of guilds that you liked, and can switch a certain guild to be your "active" guild. Final Fantasy XI used this as the Linkshell[Guild] system. You could have like 12 or so guilds total, and switch to the one you wanted to represent and talk to its members.

Hmm, that's interesting. Any idea where you saw that?

I remember them saying you could be in a different guild on each character (like WoW), unlike in GW where you can only be in one guild for your entire account.

Deleted
    Guilds are formal groupings of players. Guilds will be available to players from near the start of the game, will not be racially-exclusive, and you may join as many guilds as you would like per account. When a character logs in, it will be able to choose which guild it would like to represent. While representing that guild you will appear active on the guild roster and have access to the guild chat. Guild membership will also allow greater out-of-group interactivity, with guild members being easily located on a map, current activities visible on the guild roster, and other ways to keep track of fellow guildmates.

Guilds will be able to work towards guild achievements. As guilds do things together in the world, they earn influence. Guilds are able to spend influence on many things such as guild storage, a calendar, and experience flags. Guilds are also able to claim keeps in WvW. They will be able to fly their guild flag from the keep and use influence to upgrade their keep, fortifying it against attacks.

Out-of-game support for guilds will be also be implemented, with a guild calendar allowing guilds to coordinate events across timezones, guild chat accessible from web browsers, and smartphone apps that will be available for free.
    Quoted the entire wiki page. :P
    No info about guild sizes, but I guess it won't be too limited.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got my own guild going with me and my hubby at the helm, and we're slowly getting to know our members over the course of these few months. I'm hoping to push our guild to be a "pretty big" everything guild. I'm personally into everything, I enjoy games, so I thought I would make a guild everyone can just be themselves in.

You like PvP? Do it.
    You like PvE? Do it.
    You like RP'ing? Do it.
    You like going afk for no reason in a major city, while watching pr0n on the interwebs? Do it.

I'm just not going to tolerate trolling, bashing, or whatever other nasty activities in our guild. Beyond that, I'm good.

I wonder how many people we can have in one guild alone. Hoping for about 500+ per guild, or more.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2011-12-21 at 03:49 AM.

Right.. Guess I should have checked the wiki, I wasn't aware they'd even announced any guild information. My bad.

So it looks like you'll want a fairly substantial guild. Holding a keep with your entire guild sounds like a blast, you could stage a guild vs guild match inside WvW.

Quote Originally Posted by englanda View Post
    So I've been thinking about grouping in Guild Wars 2, and something occurred to me. Is there a reason for the "traditional" MMO guild?
    Based on the information we have it seems the guilding structure and much of the underlying design is more social/casual play focused than in a typical 2nd era MMO.

Are GW2 guilds going to be more like WoW arena teams than WoW guilds?
    This was how GW1 was for the most part. And as the game aged, became the norm. Hardcore PVE is just not the style of Anet.

There is significantly more diverse & interesting PVE content this time around so I hope that will not be the case.

So what are your plans? Will you be joining a 1000 person social guild? Playing with a few RL friends? Finding a traditional sized guild (40ish people)?
    Probably gonna play with my sisters and small group of friends. No raiding or serious PVE made it hard to convince anyone in my guild to sign a GW2 charter. But we have Rift, WoW and SW:TOR chapters full bore competing for world/server firsts. :/

{yo,sup}, I herd you like guilds, so I put guilds in your guilds so you can guild while you guild.

but no I would love to see an all server guild
    Last edited by Paladuin; 2011-12-21 at 04:03 AM. Reason: spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladuin View Post
    {yo,sup}, I herd you like guilds, so I put guilds in your guilds so you can guild while you guild.

but no I would love to see an all server guild
    Off-topic:

Your signature thingy made my brain go "....wtf its moving!" @_@'

yeah it is moving, its a hybrid head portrait i found, specifically maars hybrid head form starcraft 2, wanted like a full body one but havent found one yet

guilds in gw2 are more like clubs u can have membership in, rather than clans where u can only have allegiance to one.
    i think the point of this change is so memberships dont feel trapped after they realised they contributed so much only to find that their guild/guildmaster is lousy.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can be in many guilds (i am sure they will cap a number). I personally dont like this at all. I like the feel of being in 1 guild, it makes the synergy of the guild a whole lot better. I couldnt see myself ever being in 2 guild. I want to have a small group of friends 5-15 people that i can hop in vent with and feel comfortable just talking to. Never liked when you jumped in a channel and there were 30+ people in there and it just was awkward.

Deleted
    I'm not entirely sold on the "multiple guilds" per character idea. But maybe I'm just old-fashioned in that regard.

I've also seen guilds as a certain social commitment within an MMORPG. These people should be players you enjoy spending time with, who you can hang out with and chat with while beating content. They shouldn't be merely tools you use to achieve you personal goals. Much like family, it's a give + take relationship. And much like faimily, I don't see how you can be a member of multiple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I'm not entirely sold on the "multiple guilds" per character idea. But maybe I'm just old-fashioned in that regard.

I've also seen guilds as a certain social commitment within an MMORPG. These people should be players you enjoy spending time with, who you can hang out with and chat with while beating content. They shouldn't be merely tools you use to achieve you personal goals. Much like family, it's a give + take relationship. And much like faimily, I don't see how you can be a member of multiple.
    Might go like this:

-Maybe you like playing with your pals/friends/co-workers in game, but you like to PvP the most.
    -Suddenly you're alone in this endeavor while the others are doing DE's (or whatever).
    -But behold! You have a PvP side-guild, dedicated to that part of the game!
    -Suddenly you're not alone anymore while trying to best the other team.

I dunno, that's what I see in it. Personally coming from a 3-5 person guild myself, stuff like this (and stuff like LFR in WoW) have become more like a blessing to me.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2011-12-21 at 08:21 AM.

the dev "izzy" spelled it out something like this: guilds represent different social groups. in life, the group of friends u go karaoke/singing with may not be the same as the group of friends u go ski-ing with. ppl have different social groups for different occassions/hobbies.

the agenda for guilds in gw2 will be the same thing. u join a competitive pvp guild to get into competitions with and u can still enjoy playing with your RL friends in your personal guild. Or join a guild for exploring dungeons and still go back to that other guild that organises RP'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Might go like this:

-Maybe you like playing with your pals/friends/co-workers in game, but you like to PvP the most.
    -Suddenly you're alone in this endeavor while the others are doing DE's (or whatever).
    -But behold! You have a PvP side-guild, dedicated to that part of the game!
    -Suddenly you're not alone anymore while trying to best the other team.

I dunno, that's what I see in it. Personally coming from a 3-5 person guild myself, stuff like this (and stuff like LFR in WoW) have become more like a blessing to me.
    This.

I enjoy PVE raiding/dungeons a lot. Can't stand PVP, but my guild mates love it. Leaves me out of the group on non-raid days. But, with multiple guilds I can play with my sisters/boyfriend/casual friends goofing around in dungeons/DEs while the others are PVPing or something.

Wish more games had this idea earlier.

WvWvW- gonna be starting one up myself
    A man chooses, a Slave obeys. OBEY! - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

Because friends and family can't coexist? I plan on making a guild for my RL friends, but definitely planning to join a more goal oriented guild as well, which will hopefully become my 'family'.

Deleted
    Well I'm not sure, trying to gather some people from both the guilds I am in WoW to join me on in here then maybe make a guild... probably I'll also recruit other people who are nice.

Still, I find the more guilds per character idea quite good. There were several times when, even if my guild is big, I simply did not have people wanting to PvP... and as such I was left alone to queue with randoms, something I didn't like so much. However, I liked my guild so wouldn't leave for another just to PvP... and this option for multiple guilds would make me happy both ways.

If it turns out anything like FFXI (re the multiple guilds thing), there will probably be guilds that people join as their "main guild," and stay in it the majority of their time anyways as if it was their only guild. In XI I had a number of linkshells at most times, but was always in my one big guild since that was the one that did things and had (some) cool people.

GW2 is actually sounding like it has a lot in common with FFXI. I don't really know how I feel about that, it was a good game in its time but after a while some of the structure became frustrating. The same kind of things that ANet has adopted. x.x