Thread: Dota 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Me and a couple of friends are enjoying Dota 2 a lot so far in to the beta. The "lack" of content doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkaah View Post
    What exactly do you not like about the game might I ask? What more does LoL offer to you than Dota does at the moment?
    As I stated, LoL is constintly dishing out content for people new skins/heros on a weekly basis, they have been doing this for 2years+, Dota 2 has been in devolpment for longer, Dota2 should have alot more to offer at launch then what they do, Yes I know it's only beta, but even the character select screen is very un-organized, sure the heroes are split into Str, Agil and Int sections, however its really hard to see who selected what.

Its not that I do not like the game, it's decent, just not enough to hold my attention, but I'm just one person, someone else might feel that it meets there every needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    Me and a couple of friends are enjoying Dota 2 a lot so far in to the beta. The "lack" of content doesn't bother me.
    Not sure what is going on, tried to reply and it kept messing with my original post, anyways, it may very well be I'm not enjoying it as much since I don't have a group of people to kill with.

also the shop bugs me, hard to navigate.
    Last edited by Aerisot; 2011-12-21 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerisot View Post
    Everyone is diffrent in there own respective ways, it could very well be that I don't have a group of people to play with thats making me not enjoy the game as well.
    I for one know that I would never play any MOBA game if I didn't have friends to play them with. It's just a terrible solo genre.
    Last edited by Igloo; 2011-12-21 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkaah View Post
    What exactly do you not like about the game might I ask? What more does LoL offer to you than Dota does at the moment?
    Do note it is beta things can change:

-Friends list is horrible.
    -Pming a person is impossible.
    -No commands like in DotA/Wc3 (Friends is one of them)
    -gamebreaking bugs, seeing people that are trying to juke you for example.
    -No stat tracking (is invisible for us, last time I checked)
    -No concede/surrender option (Might not make it in game, rumor though cannot find any source.)

some personal stuff why I do not like it:

The concept art of the heroes leave a lot to be desired. Since they cannot copy naga's due copyright (i think at least) they made a deepsea fish.

Son I am disappoint.
    Last edited by Riathy; 2011-12-22 at 12:09 AM.
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

One thing DOTA 2 has going for it that LoL does not: Valve. Let's face it, Riot is not a terribly competent developer. It feels like they're a group of guys hanging out in a basement who thought making a moba game would be a swell idea. They just can't keep up. They release new stuff, sure, but they have enough issues with old stuff that new stuff is really just a hinderence (and money-maker). They really seem to care more about the money than anything else. Valve has an amazing track record. I trust Valve to take care of their game far more than Riot.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Riathy View Post
    Can I ask you when you last played HoN? Because the way you say it brings me back when HoN was in BETA..! Either that or you haven't played DotA2 yet! :P
    I have played DotA 2. And I like it 10000x better than HoN. I haven't played HoN in like 6-7 months because they started adding WAY too many heroes, WAY too fast and multiple would be new and imbalanced at the same time. I also was a die-hard DotA 1 fan and most of the new heroes didn't feel like they fit. I trust Valve and Icefrog a LOT more than I trust S2 Games to make a successful DotA game.

Edit:
    And about it being a terrible solo genre - it really is, it's best played with friends you know will have your back and want your team to do the best it can. Teamwork is the best quality your team needs to win, and too often random people play just to brag about their KD ratio, another thing about HoN that I did not like. Someone who plays support will never have a high KD and get the shaft for it.
    Last edited by Valedus; 2011-12-21 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    And I like it 10000x better than HoN.

WAY too many heroes, WAY too fast and multiple would be new and imbalanced at the same time.

I also was a die-hard DotA 1 fan and most of the new heroes didn't feel like they fit.

I trust Valve and Icefrog a LOT more than I trust S2 Games to make a successful DotA game.
    These are all opinions. Doesn't mean it is a truth, and just because a big name makes a new game does not mean it is good or bad. You will need to test that for yourself. Besides I've heard a lot of people say Valve ruins every competitive game they get their hands on. (I do not have an opinion about it since I do not follow e-sports) Don't be a blind fanboy, nothing good can come of that!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Edit:
    And about it being a terrible solo genre - it really is, it's best played with friends you know will have your back and want your team to do the best it can. Teamwork is the best quality your team needs to win, and too often random people play just to brag about their KD ratio, another thing about HoN that I did not like. Someone who plays support will never have a high KD and get the shaft for it.
    My main account has all support and still manages a ~1KD just because you play support does not mean you have a low kd.
    My "try hard" support has 0.7 KD that one is low but I am more kamikaze on that one. I haven't seen a lot of people brag about KD... unless it was <1550 games.

Win % is the best way to determine if a player is any good. (over a number of games of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    One thing DOTA 2 has going for it that LoL does not: Valve. Let's face it, Riot is not a terribly competent developer. It feels like they're a group of guys hanging out in a basement who thought making a moba game would be a swell idea. They just can't keep up. They release new stuff, sure, but they have enough issues with old stuff that new stuff is really just a hinderence (and money-maker). They really seem to care more about the money than anything else. Valve has an amazing track record. I trust Valve to take care of their game far more than Riot.
    Really now I am going to say this also to you. Do not be a blind fanboy. What has Riot done that would label them as a "incompetent" developer in your eyes? It is easy to criticize but harder to deliver a product that is even at half their level.

Sigh... I know this falls on deaf ears but maybe, just maybe people will think for themselves instead of bandwagoning!
    Last edited by Riathy; 2011-12-21 at 10:57 PM.
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

Considering Riot now has a 5million jackpot up for grabs in this next tournament, I wouldn't really call them incompetent, sure they haven't made any other games yet, butt thats ok they are focused on LoL and providing pretty good customer service.

I've seen Valve handle there games pretty nicely as well, hell the Portal series is by far my favorite, so we shall see.

After having played a lot of hon, dota 2 just doesn't feel very good, it feels very clunky to play it. I guess it's because it's about as direct a port as it can get, where as hon changed several things, and has improved a lot since it's beta(gameplay wise anyway, their business model is another thing). Most notably the animation speed and delay, when you're used to the speed of hon dota 2 just doesn't feel right. Can always hope dota 2 will improve as well, which I'm sure it will in some ways, but i kinda fear that they will avoid a lot of potential good changes to keep it as close to the original dota as possible.

Really now I am going to say this also to you. Do not be a blind fanboy. What has Riot done that would label them as a "incompetent" developer in your eyes? It is easy to criticize but harder to deliver a product that is even at half their level.

Sigh... I know this falls on deaf ears but maybe, just maybe people will think for themselves instead of bandwagoning!
    Better idea, I'll say this to you: Fanboy? What? Wouldn't defending Riot in this case make YOU the fanboy? Champions desperately in need of help have been ignored, changes are made that make absolutely no sense and were never called for by any of the playerbase (hi, jungle), champions are always released at full prices and then made free a couple weeks later to grab cash before anyone tries it (player fault, but carrot on a stick is tough to resist), Tryndamere stomps around in the completely ignored Twisted Treeline, which people DO play, mechanics are tossed around like ragdolls despite player resistance... for christ's sake, typos are STILL in the champion descriptions which have gone unchanged for the ENTIRE time the game has been out. That is a two second fix that is a running joke at this point. It's pure laziness and it extends to other things.

I know this will fall on deaf ears, but maybe you think for yourself instead of me, next time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want to have DotA in a more functional package.

I tried HoN, I tried LoL, both had their flaws which made me stick
    to the good old Dota.
    (Lack of hero variety and I really dislike how the e-sport grass functions
    in LoL)

DotA 2 is still in the beta so don't judge it yet. If you have an issue with
    a thing or two go post about them and maybe they will be fixed. That's
    what a beta is for.

And if someone has a spare Dota 2 beta key...

The concept art of the heroes leave a lot to be desired. Since they cannot copy naga's due copyright (i think at least) they made a deepsea fish.

Son I am disappoint.
    Hey, the Naga came out WAYYY BETTER than the Mexican Storm Spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    O god yes ><

I mean they couldn't copy it so why not make cool concept art for heroes like S2 did at Heroes of Newerth? Slardar is a great example of a good concept art.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    Better idea, I'll say this to you: Fanboy? What? Wouldn't defending Riot in this case make YOU the fanboy? Champions desperately in need of help have been ignored, changes are made that make absolutely no sense and were never called for by any of the playerbase (hi, jungle), champions are always released at full prices and then made free a couple weeks later to grab cash before anyone tries it (player fault, but carrot on a stick is tough to resist), Tryndamere stomps around in the completely ignored Twisted Treeline, which people DO play, mechanics are tossed around like ragdolls despite player resistance... for christ's sake, typos are STILL in the champion descriptions which have gone unchanged for the ENTIRE time the game has been out. That is a two second fix that is a running joke at this point. It's pure laziness and it extends to other things.

I know this will fall on deaf ears, but maybe you think for yourself instead of me, next time.
    First of all: I am saying you should appreciate what you have, grass looks greener on the other side. I am by no means a Riot fan (I have played LoL with friends and to see what it is about, but playing HoN mainly.)
    Second of all: Making a game (or a new custom map even) takes a lot of time and it not something everyone can do. Also having an idea that may work out is even harder if you ask me.

I can't tell about typos and what not but balancing a map is hard, balancing a smaller map is even harder. I don't know about LoL but in HoN the other maps are not used in any tournaments because of that. Some heroes are way stronger there. If you really care about balance either ban the OP heroes on that map or play summoner's rift map.

About the hero price tag.... stuff goes down in price all the time. My friend bought a ps2 for full price when 2 weeks later it got tuned down. Yeah he was pissed but shit happens. You do not need to buy new heroes straight of the bat.

Also you flatter me.
    Last edited by Riathy; 2011-12-22 at 08:43 AM.
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    Beats nothing. Haven't even seen conept art for a lot of champions, including my main man Ogre Magi.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Beats nothing. Haven't even seen conept art for a lot of champions, including my main man Ogre Magi.
    I miss that in HoN! Multicast x6?? Yes please ;D

But "beats nothing" is a sad statement. "We should be happy duke nukem forever came out!"
    Last edited by Riathy; 2011-12-22 at 09:59 AM.
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

I miss that in HoN! Multicast x6?? Yes please ;D

But "beats nothing" is a sad statement. "We should be happy duke nukem forever came out!"
    Heh, I suppose that's true. I just hope they don't make it too off from the original. Technically it was a Blizzard model, but a 2-headed ogre is so general, I doubt there would be any trouble making it pretty similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...LoL is constintly dishing out content for people new skins/heros on a weekly basis...
    Which is the biggest problem of LoL, there's no way any company would be able to balance a game adding champions "on a weekly basis".

It seems the Bounty Hunter was released this week.

They aren't changing the abilities of released heroes, right? I don't recall his ult giving extra gold, but I haven't played DotA in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    It seems the Bounty Hunter was released this week.

They aren't changing the abilities of released heroes, right? I don't recall his ult giving extra gold, but I haven't played DotA in ages.
    That is what his ulti did in dota I haven't launched DotA2 to check his other abilities though.
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

10+ Year Old Account
    F2P?
    Are you kidding?
    I hope it is P2P. The main reason I hate LoL is because of the trolls, the people who just don't care about playing, and just want to ruin it for everyone else. They keep it up until they get banned, and then BOOM, new account, and a new reign of terror begins. DoTA is a game of balance, while LoL, haha, definitely is not balanced in any way. Their 'hyped in popularity' Capture the base map failed on so many levels, and most of the time, you still get stuck with the abusive moronic players in Ranked games due to how easy it is to reach lv30.

Atleast if DoTA2 cost even a little bit of money, it automatically stops the trolls and people that just want to ruin it for other players by making heaps of accounts.

I haven't got into the Beta personally, but I've played on a friends account, and although it still has some issues, hell it's still in Beta, and it will improve before it is rushed, because we all know Value, they don't release something until they are certain it's up to standards.

Also I would say it will be P2P because I highly doubt they would get pathetic enough to add new 'skins' and unlock more Heroes through pay to access means, so they need to gain some funds somehow.