Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Maw vs Vagaries of Time

Hi there guys, I'd just like to get fellow paladins opinions on which mace they would rather use, a normal Maw or a heroic Vagaries. Whilst I know that the maw does 6-10% of free total healing which is very useful when your positioning is great, the heroic stats also seem quite attractive to myself. Just wondering what everyone else thinks..

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maw is better on every fight in every way

What about LFR Maw and heroic Vagaries of TIme ?

Maw imo. The LFR one was healing 600k+ on some fights for me. And the normal one healed 2 million on Madness.

Free healing is free healing, so Maw all the way. I get 7%-12% of my healing from it (normal mode) in DS encounters. It just seems so damn OP I'm expecting a nerf.
    Moo.

LFR maw is miles out in front compared to Heroic Vagaries.

That free 5-12% of healing beats 20 ilvl's of spellpower.

This is down to every fight in DS making the raid stack up for long periods pretty much. It's an amazing proc.

I'm going to try find the exact difference in healing output tonight with both of my maces, if anybody is interested I'll post up some results / opinions later tonight.

Maw is a clear winner with any aoe healing required. I'd say Vagaries wins in fights where you don't get to aoe heal though. But yea, most of us won't have the luxury of getting both of them for a long time (of equal level at least), so if I had to pick one, I'd say Maw.

I haven't found Maw to be that great in 10man, with the exception of Ultraxion.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    I haven't found Maw to be that great in 10man, with the exception of Ultraxion.
    It's also doing realy good on fights such as Yorsah'j, Zon'ozz and Madness tbh.
    I don't have heroic Vagaries yet but I might switch to it for Morchock, Hagara and maybe Spine and Blackhorn... (all of those 10 HC)

So after finishing my raid tonight I can say that the mace you choose to use is heavily dependent on which fight you are in. For an AoE healing intensive fight (75% of DS) the maw excels with its proc above the Vagaries. However in fights where you are single target healing more and the raid is spread a lot more such as Hagara the Vagaries would be more useful as you wouldn't have much use for the free LoD proc.

Healing Ultraxion I used the Vagaries and took a blue shard and topped heals.. I did the same with the Maw before so that quite odd. As a personal preference I found using the Vagaries on spine quite brilliant as my heals hit the targets harder and break then debuff on the faster.

All in all, if you have access to both maces, swapping between fights would be beneficial based on strats used ect. But if you are looking for a good mace the Maws proc cannot be overlooked. I hope this info helped everyone ^.^!

Deleted
    In 10 man i'd also use Maw for ultraxion, Madness , Zon'oz , Yor'sahj and HC Vagaries for the rest.

You can change weapon during combat. Swap in maw when a group of people are in front of you (macro to LoD?) swap to vagaries if your proc wont be hitting anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by PalawinFC View Post
    You can change weapon during combat. Swap in maw when a group of people are in front of you (macro to LoD?) swap to vagaries if your proc wont be hitting anyone.
    Is there ever a time such as this? You should be facing the raid anyway due to LoD etc so I cant see weapon swapping being useful. Theres no times I can think of where the raid is forced to spread out for long periods in this tier. Even on madness you can angle yourself to the melee when spreading for tentacle.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even if you only have melee in front of you it is still worth it pretty much, quite simply Maw is BiS this tier.

Deleted
    Maw all the way.
    Sooo damn op even in 10m.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you guys keep saying Maws so OP, Bliz might nerf it.

*cough cough* Maw is bad and needs to be buffed! /thumbsup

I've been using my LFR Maw and am really enjoying it. At first, I was a little suspicious of the lack of spirit and haste on it, but that quickly dropped when I started healing stacked up people.

Just if anybody was interested I forgot to mention numbers... On MoD 25 I compared myself to another holy paladin in our group. There is a 1ilvl difference between ourselves but she ended up finishing roughly 5k HPS in front of me. Not exactly an amazingly accurate representation of the maw being better but still something lol!

Deleted
    Don't just pick Maw or a normal healing weapon, change it depending on the fight.

I currently have the LFR maw and the heroic Eye of Purification. I use Maw for Zon'ozz, Yor'sahj, Ultraxion, Spine and Madness. I use Eye of Purification (vagaries in your case) for Morchok, Hagara and Gunship.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekovivie View Post
    Is there ever a time such as this? You should be facing the raid anyway due to LoD etc so I cant see weapon swapping being useful. Theres no times I can think of where the raid is forced to spread out for long periods in this tier. Even on madness you can angle yourself to the melee when spreading for tentacle.
    Yes but you have to consider whether the amount of people being healed by the Maw's proc is worth the loss of spirit and haste. Personally, in some phases of some encounters, I don't think it is (again, talking 10man here). Which is why I've also been switching from/to Maw mid-fight.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."