Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Deadspace 1 and 2

How are these games? I was looking through steam and saw these games fairly cheap.

Are they good? Hard? Long?

Worth the £10 they are charging for it?

Deleted
    they are both very good games, I would recommend them to anyone, If I remember correctly dead space 2 won an award for best sound, but be warned. They are scary games at times and made me jump (consistently), The game has very good lighting and levels that fill you with adrenaline

Deleted
    Deadspace has some serious compatability issues with newer OS like windows 7.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I personally liked 1 more than 2 since 2 you just plow through everything since they let you start off with every armor and gun in the beginning of the game. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    I personally liked 1 more than 2 since 2 you just plow through everything since they let you start off with every armor and gun in the beginning of the game. =/
    So how hard is the game? How long does it typically take to blitz through?

Roughly 8-10 hours a piece on normal, but you should definitely do a second play through on the harder settings. Easily the scariest games I have ever played, the first one I could not play for more than 30minutes at a time initially, the tension was incredible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazing games, I would very much so recommend them to any one. The scares do wear off after a while, except one scene in the first game that makes you shit your pants over and over haha. Get them!

Add me on LoL: jries
    Add me on XBL: jries1

10+ Year Old Account
    bought the first, but really disliked it. Didn't find it scary one bit (while I nearly crap my pants every time I play amnesia ) and after a while you just get massively overpowered. Not enough replay value to actually go trough it again.

played the second one a bit but same thing.

For £10, might be worth it if you like shooters though. As a horror game, it fails in every possible way IMO.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

What the hell are you talking about, you start with less than in Dead Space 1.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    bought the first, but really disliked it. Didn't find it scary one bit (while I nearly crap my pants every time I play amnesia ) and after a while you just get massively overpowered. Not enough replay value to actually go trough it again.

For £10, might be worth it if you like shooters though. As a horror game, it fails in every possible way IMO.
    What were you playing it on? Easy? In a very well lit room on a bad screen in the middle of the day?

Ignore him. These games are well worth it.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    What the hell are you talking about, you start with less than in Dead Space 1.
    I was talking about 2 not 1 where you work your way up.

I was talking about the second one too. You dont start with anything in 2. In first one they at least give you basic protection.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post

Gonna agree with the poster above, clearly playing it on easy in broad daylight. I've played Amnesia, and it's not nearly as scary as Dead Space (both played in the dark, on at least Normal, with the sound up ). The story alone is pretty cool as you reconstruct/uncover what is going on, and the atmosphere in Dead Space kept me on the edge of my seat all the time. I never felt safe for a moment.

In contrast to Amnesia where I regularly feel like I am just exploring my way around. That's not to say it doesn't have it's moments of terror, but the atmosphere isn't as tense as Dead Space.

In two you wake up in a hospital ward and you have nothing, no weapons, no health kits, not even your suit. You have to dodge and run away from a bunch of Necromorphs.

Clearly you have a hacked version/someone else's saved game/cheat codes that gave you everything at the start.

Only played the first, it's a solid game. Depending on what you classify as scary, you'll see the game differently. For me, the jump around the corner real fast move isn't scary, just a quick spook gimmick, which this game is filled with. If your the kind of person that defines that as scary, then you'll think its scary. The action is good, but my problem was around 60% completion of the storyline, it gets really easy and really tedious. If you upgrade the proper weapons, you'll blow through the game and it never really feels accomplishing. I beat it on normal mode, didn't have a desire to replay again.

If its on sale and cheap, I'd recommend it. Its a good playthrough

Deleted
    I only played one on the PS3, and absolutely loved it. I normally don't like 3rd person shooters, nor horror games...but this is one of my favourite games ever. The atmosphere is spot on. It's definitely dependent on the 'spook gimmick' Krowz mentioned...but it got me time after time =)

Haven't played 2 for 2 reasons:
    1) Haven't found the time (writing my PhD thesis atm)
    2) I have to become more manly to be able to play it more than 30m at a time =)

Dont play DS1 on pc. The controls are fucked up and make it unplayable (yeah, its that bad). Luckily for me, I have an xbox360 so I managed to play the game on console and it was awesome. One of the best games I ve ever played. I bought DS2 on the pc and it works just fine though.
    Both great games, worth playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Odyseas View Post
    Dont play DS1 on pc. The controls are fucked up and make it unplayable (yeah, its that bad). Luckily for me, I have an xbox360 so I managed to play the game on console and it was awesome. One of the best games I ve ever played. I bought DS2 on the pc and it works just fine though.
    Both great games, worth playing.
    Actualy i was surprised that Dead Space 1 was quite playable on PC, unlike some Resident Evil 4 game i tried...

Coming from the PC side...they're both pretty good.

Dead Space 1 focuses more on the horror elements, with a darker, more "spooky" environment and kind of hits its mark, although the "things come out of vents!" schtick gets old pretty quickly. The super loose controls give it a nice touch and emphasize that you're not a combat soldier but an engineer who isn't a killing machine. I actually enjoyed the silent (I don't remember him talking), faceless protagonist throughout the game, it fit with the story.

Dead Space 2 puts a ton more emphasis on gunplay and action to the detriment of just about everything else IMO. They tried too hard to create new "horror" elements but missed the mark, the story was significantly weaker both as a horror story and as a story in general. But as a shooter, it was damn good.

If they're 10 bucks a piece, I say it's worth it. I enjoyed both of them.

Wat? I don't remember this at all.
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

Quote Originally Posted by P4R45171K View Post
    Wat? I don't remember this at all.
    The first shop you walk up to like 10 minutes into the game has almost every armor and weapon (there are a few that you still have to find, but all they give are different bonuses) available for 0 credits.