Sorcerer or Merc: More functional soloer

I currently have a merc at lvl 14 and a sorcerer at 13. One of the factors going into which I will focus on is the ability solo heroics and flashpoints to a lesser extent, even if I am going in several levels higher than the intended level. So my Merc was lvl 12 i think and i was able to solo Black Talon with zero issues. then landed on DK and handled the first heroic without issue. so yay for that.

now cut to my sorcerer which ive heard is fantastic for soloing. i go into Black Talon at 11 and get stomped on the first boss. I last a while but eventually my force bar is empty and im basically screwed. so I wait until im level 13. I get passed that part but on the second boss I end up having to kite him for 15 minutes while i slowly pick him off. I did pull my companion out of fire each time but eventually the melee damage was too much for my heals. on my merc as long as i moved out of fire i was good.

So I suppose my issue is does the sorcerer get much more functional as my companion gets gear and i get the shield spell or does the Merc coupled with mako just always dominate on the ease of soloing content.

I do have friends who i can run with, but a lot of times our schedules differ. I would prefer to hit content as it comes and knock out heroics with relative ease. So some insight from mercs and sorcs that have gone beyond 15 or so would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to be a CC / Slower but with some really good force regen go Madness. With Madness you just dot your targets up with Affliction, and Crushing Darkness then Creeping Terror and just use Force Lightning the whole time. I'm having a blast playing the spec. It's easier than Lightning to manage Force and CDs.