Guild Wars 2 - Beta kicked off?

Hi there,

I was browsing trough some guild wars 2 stickies and came across this:

So, beta kicked off recently, and with it came a NDA. The NDA (as usual) states that testers can't share anything assets (SS's ect.) from their testing and can't discuss it.

That being said, we take NDA's seriously (at least I do), so if you are a tester, don't break it. If you see leaked NDA material, don't post links to it and avoid discussion of it here. Doing so will get your post/thread deleted, and will get you an infraction.

So has the beta started? Didn't see an anouncement or find anything using the search button.

I know they said it would start late 2011 so it's about time but still.

Also, what does this mean? Is guild wars comming out within a few months? I remember reading that they would only go on to beta testing when the game was almost finished and the beta would only last about 2 months before the real release :/

I hope all that's true. The 2 months before real release beta part, even if a little exaggerated and is closer to half a year. GW2 is literally the only MMO I know I will play aside from WoW. I played Rift for a bit but I knew it wasn't totally for me, but GW2 I can't wait for.

It's been in beta hasn't it? It just went into the next phase of the non-public closed beta I thought.

Closed beta started on Dec 16, prior to that it was in alpha testing. We don't know how long closed beta will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Ah so it was in alpha and not beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Ah so it was in alpha and not beta.
    It was in Alpha builds until Friday, December 16th, whereupon the game entered Closed Beta testing under a strict Non-Disclosure Agreement for privately-selected individuals.
    Last edited by Milanor; 2011-12-21 at 11:04 PM. Reason: clarity

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's best not to gauge a release date on the start of the closed beta. A lot of things can happen in testing and it's good that the continued answer for a release date is 'when it's finished'.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

So basicly yes Beta has started, was anounced through various fan sites. No theres nowhere to sign up at this time. Its unlikely anybody on this forum is in it and they couldnt tell us if they were let alone give us info.

While we cant draw a positive release date from just the start of the closed beta the state of what we have seen speaks well for a launch somewhere between march and june of next year. Hopefully a good couple months before MoP comes out so there is time for folks to get involved and see how well the game works before the massive hype machine that is WoW can rip folks away and burry the game.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    As said before, closed beta started Friday 16th.

There is no application form or anything, but ArenaNet stated that this is not a friends or family closed beta, so they can most likely invite anyone. However, they haven't said how the invite people, if it is through old Guild Wars 1 account e-mails or any other game linked to NCsoft, we don't know where, who, what and how they invite people, but the closed beta is going on at the moment.

The closed beta shouldn't be going on for too long, it will most likely be 2 weeks or a month, then an open beta will most likely start.

It likely actually IS a F/F beta, as they stated it is not open to the public. Even a closed beta with invites is technically open to the public, it just isn't an open beta.

They'll likely move on to an invite-only non F/F closed beta, then open beta. I wouldn't expect it to be sooner than a month or two for open though, depending how far along they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad hat man View Post
    The closed beta shouldn't be going on for too long, it will most likely be 2 weeks or a month, then an open beta will most likely start.
    I wouldnt infer anything, particularly anything this short about the beta. 2 weeks is way to short considering the timeing. Its doubtful any significant amount of testing and bugfixing could take place in 2 weeks that has a major holiday smack in the middle of it. While they implied beta would be short all they said was that the results of the closed beta would determin when open beta started and that open beta would be more akin to a prelaunch demo period and be quite short. A short beta could be quite long as most MMO's these days can spend half a year or more in beta easy.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    There is a closed beta and from a sure source, old /respected gw1 players got into it , ncsoft staff,