Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The only time a non tanking cloak was considered "better" was when there wasn't a comparable one. For example the Heroic Rhyolith cloak was better than the Quest or Fireland rep cloaks. Same went for Sinestra.

The argument for the sinestra quote was: "you will probably also note that the Sinestra caster cloak is listed on the chardev profile. That isn't a mistake. It has more mastery, a gem socket, more stm, more armor, and only comes at the loss of about .5% avoidance once you reforge the haste into dodge. This is mainly due to them not even adding a 372 tanking cloak and the BiS is supposed to be the Hyjal rep one. Who knows if this will stick or not, but I personally would take the mastery/stm gain over .5% avoidance. "

Bottom line is, when there is a huge difference in I level say 359 compared to 379, then you can start looking at cloaks with int or agility if it gives a lot more mastery. Cuz then your not only gaining mastery but also a lot more stam and armor, and even more of a secondary stat that can be reforged.

It sounds like your "friend" was around for the beginning of cata, and remembers the Sinestra argument boiling down to, the cloak has more mastery then it must be better, and ignored the big picture.
    The more of my behavior you accept, the less you will have to forgive.

It's a viable cloak, although I personally would use the actual tank cloak over it. It comes down to how you value the tanking stats and how you weigh them. For those of you who need some proof, heres a wowhead ordering of all the cloaks 378-416 ilevel with the weightings I personally use.

http://www.wowhead.com/items?filter=...:60:20:14;gb=1

This is ordered with 1 Mastery = 0.6 Avoidance. If you were to value mastery a bit higher (like 1 mastery = 0.4ish), then the intellect cloak would come ahead. In the end though, I still think the actual tank cloak or the PVP cloak is a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie851 View Post
    Why would a tank use a caster dps cloak? Besides, Intellect does nothing AT ALL for Dk's, and you cant reforge out of a primary stat.

Thanks for steeling my answer :X

Quote Originally Posted by smashcrush View Post
    don't go for the pvp one, don't go for the int one, use the tanking one..i still don't believe that this topic isn't a troll
    I can see you have never done any serious theorycrafting ever. cause even a blind man can see the tank cloak this tier sucks balls. personally id stick with last tiers heroic rhyo agi/mastey cloak with the double sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post
    I can see you have never done any serious theorycrafting ever. cause even a blind man can see the tank cloak this tier sucks balls. personally id stick with last tiers heroic rhyo agi/mastey cloak with the double sockets.
    Why would you continue to use an Agility cloak? Agility stopped giving dodge after T11.
    At least Strength gives you parry.

Quote Originally Posted by pdude View Post
    Why would you continue to use an Agility cloak? Agility stopped giving dodge after T11.
    At least Strength gives you parry.
    The "main" attribute on a cloak is the least contributing to a tanks overall survivability increase.

The main stats you look at are: Stamina, Mastery, Dodge, Parry, Haste

If the combined value of two cloaks in these stats is pretty close to each other you factor in the remaining stats which only have a very slight influence on your survivability. The beneficial ones are: Strength, Hit, Expertise

That's why you may as well consider intellect or agility items into the equation for your tanking setup.
    Common sense still should tell you to pass if someone really needs said items, but it's by far better than being stashed into someone's bags as 3rd spec or as a crystal when it would be an upgrade for you over your old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiveron View Post
    What is your guys' opinion on this. Which would you go with.
    He weighs mastery far too highly than he should.

397 tank cloak. Reforge expertise->mastery. 365 rating toward survivability stats versus 239. Not a hard choice at all. Unreforged, the tank cloak still has more rating than a reforged caster cloak.

Regarding T12, Dreadfire Drape heroic was worse than Durable Flamewrath Greatcloak, unless you really seriously needed the 40 stamina. Agility was worthless for you, and you could only come to that conclusion if you weigh mastery even more highly than your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperionx View Post
    This is mainly due to them not even adding a 372 tanking cloak and the BiS is supposed to be the Hyjal rep one. Who knows if this will stick or not, but I personally would take the mastery/stm gain over .5% avoidance.
    Heroic Throne of the Four Winds had a massively superior 372 random stat tanking cloak that was mastery/avoidance.

Yes, H Throne did have bis pieces for almost every class. However, random stats ftw.
    The more of my behavior you accept, the less you will have to forgive.

The cloak from heroic throne is ridiculously difficult to get. Not only did most guilds choose to skip Al'Akir after they got the achieve since the fight was so difficult in 25m, the added loot they threw in after 4.0.6 made it nigh impossible to even see the cloak, let alone a cloak with the stats you wanted. While the 372 cloak of mastery+parry/dodge was better, it was very difficult to get, even with 25m loot tables.