Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    Okay... I was just throwing that out there, would make it easier for a lot of people that don't want to spend hours looking.
    opps.... lol I'm sry I missunderstood what you said :/ sry I thought you were saying it was pointless to add secret content... yeah I fail and reading comprehension :P

  2. #42
    Mechagnome Fernling306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by SPeedy26 View Post
    opps.... lol I'm sry I missunderstood what you said :/ sry I thought you were saying it was pointless to add secret content... yeah I fail and reading comprehension :P
    No, it was my bad. My post could easily be interpreted as that, as I didn't really give enough information of what I was talking about.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    I would just prefer that they don't allow fast travel.
    After leveling 1 or 2 toons I imagine your opinion won't be the same...

  4. #44
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Lol even if the wiki comes out with all the secrets I'm probably not gonna use it because exploring is half the fun!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  5. #45
    My idea is that there are only Waypoints to travel to dynamic events, AKA the circled areas. And when one dies, they would travel to the closest waypoint lets say if there were one in that area, so they would be called spawn points or something like that. I still think they should of included mounts, though.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

  6. #46
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    After leveling 1 or 2 toons I imagine your opinion won't be the same...
    That. If you don't want to use it, don't =) I won't, but I don't feel that my personal playing preference should affect others who would prefer to get somewhere in a hurry.

  7. #47
    Fast travelling ruins any game. Especially noticeable in games such as Fallout 3, I just find the world much more interesting if you actually have to travel around to get to places.

  8. #48
    Brewmaster Newbryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Leaving
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    Fast travelling ruins any game. Especially noticeable in games such as Fallout 3, I just find the world much more interesting if you actually have to travel around to get to places.
    Bit off topic but you're saying you would want to walk from tenpenny tower all the way to megaton everytime weird. Fast travel saves time and lets be serious who wants to walk all the time
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

  9. #49
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    Fast travelling ruins any game. Especially noticeable in games such as Fallout 3, I just find the world much more interesting if you actually have to travel around to get to places.
    It's a double edged sword though.
    Making travel more realistic increases immersion, but by making it harder to get places you stop people from travelling thus you reduce immersion because the world will feel empty outside of major locations.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Bit off topic but you're saying you would want to walk from tenpenny tower all the way to megaton everytime weird. Fast travel saves time and lets be serious who wants to walk all the time
    I'm not saying Fallout would be good without fast travel at all, especially as it was designed for fast travel. As such, had no method of travelling faster than walking (e.g. vehicles) if it were to have a means of travelling faster and the world was designed for travelling between locations more than once, I see no reason for quick travel to be enabled.

    On-topic, there should be flight paths or a similar feature, like in WoW. I don't like the idea of magically moving between locations because you double click an icon on the minimap.

  11. #51
    Brewmaster Newbryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Leaving
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    I'm not saying Fallout would be good without fast travel at all, especially as it was designed for fast travel. As such, had no method of travelling faster than walking (e.g. vehicles) if it were to have a means of travelling faster and the world was designed for travelling between locations more than once, I see no reason for quick travel to be enabled.
    Like borderlands then thats cool I can agree with that but having way points make vehicles or any other type of transportation kinda pointless.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

  12. #52
    The Lightbringer Dewote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    On-topic, there should be flight paths or a similar feature, like in WoW. I don't like the idea of magically moving between locations because you double click an icon on the minimap.
    They both serve the same purpose: get from point A to point B. the other one is instant and the other one takes a while.
    Personally I prefer something what is instant, I don't want to wait for 5 minutes to get to somewhere, especially when you can't do anything meanwhile.
    FC 2793-2016-8218 - Name: Suoma

  13. #53
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    I'm not saying Fallout would be good without fast travel at all, especially as it was designed for fast travel. As such, had no method of travelling faster than walking (e.g. vehicles) if it were to have a means of travelling faster and the world was designed for travelling between locations more than once, I see no reason for quick travel to be enabled.

    On-topic, there should be flight paths or a similar feature, like in WoW. I don't like the idea of magically moving between locations because you double click an icon on the minimap.
    *rolls eyes* Yaaaaay.... flight paths... like i want to either A) bash my face into my keyboard trying to make my wyvern go faster so i can meet up with friends for an event while i'm conveniently half way across the world, or B) go afk for ~15 minutes, come back to see i landed, and just missed a boat to get to my NEXT flight point location...

    If you want immersion WALK, no one forces you to use the fancy pancy waypoints if you don't like them don't use them. You get rewarded for NOT using them too because a significant amount of the content is out in the world, there's even some things that are hidden that cause chains of DE's. They're probably hidden in the same sense as SWTOR's holocron things (i'd say rift's puzzles but a lot of those weren't really "Find the hidden path" and were more like "essentially glitch your way up this 90 degree wall so you can get to a puzzle/chest")

    If you ask me, fast travel is a god send for people who want to travel and travel fast. If you want to be immersed don't use it, simple as that!! However, it doesn't really break immersion when it's been worked into the actual lore like in GW1, and was even reference in Edge of Destiny with the hole in my pocket device. And as far as i've noticed in the demo videos there were giant floating crystal thingy's where the waypoints were, so they'll probably work them in again.

    PS: This isn't like oblivion where you can fast travel everywhere, you need to DISCOVER the waypoints first before you can even use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  14. #54
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    PS: This isn't like oblivion where you can fast travel everywhere, you need to DISCOVER the waypoints first before you can even use them.
    I agree with everything else you said, but in Oblivion, you needed to discover the locations first as well.
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  15. #55
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Those of you asking for retarded things like flying mounts and flight paths need to fucking play GW1 before posting in the GW2 forums. There were no mounts or flight paths and the game worked fine. As for you crying about Fallout not having fast travel? Yeah I have over 500 hours (I can take a pic if you want) on my 2 characters in Fallout 3, 250 hours in Fallout New Vegas, and a little over 500 hours on my one character in Oblivion. 100 hours on Skyrim. Fuck running to every place. I'm not gonna sit there for an hour of real life time because people like you would rather sit on a retarded gryphon or wind rider instead of instantly arriving at your destination.

    Play GW1 and stop crying about no mounts and the fast travel compared to flight paths.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    *rolls eyes* Yaaaaay.... flight paths... like i want to either A) bash my face into my keyboard trying to make my wyvern go faster so i can meet up with friends for an event while i'm conveniently half way across the world, or B) go afk for ~15 minutes, come back to see i landed, and just missed a boat to get to my NEXT flight point location...

    If you want immersion WALK, no one forces you to use the fancy pancy waypoints if you don't like them don't use them. You get rewarded for NOT using them too because a significant amount of the content is out in the world, there's even some things that are hidden that cause chains of DE's. They're probably hidden in the same sense as SWTOR's holocron things (i'd say rift's puzzles but a lot of those weren't really "Find the hidden path" and were more like "essentially glitch your way up this 90 degree wall so you can get to a puzzle/chest")

    If you ask me, fast travel is a god send for people who want to travel and travel fast. If you want to be immersed don't use it, simple as that!! However, it doesn't really break immersion when it's been worked into the actual lore like in GW1, and was even reference in Edge of Destiny with the hole in my pocket device. And as far as i've noticed in the demo videos there were giant floating crystal thingy's where the waypoints were, so they'll probably work them in again.

    PS: This isn't like oblivion where you can fast travel everywhere, you need to DISCOVER the waypoints first before you can even use them.
    Agreed fast travel is a servies used for convenience when you get a call from a friend who needs your help on the other side of the world or just want to kill 20 mins somewhere that will take you 45 mins just to get there. Flight paths are fun the frist time because you have that eyes wide open experience of seeing the world living a breathing beneath you....until its your tenth time using it then it's meh

    Although I do believe GW2 could benefit from a dynamic flightpath-ish thing similar to the Tram connecting SW to IF in wow, like a boat that goes from the shore of Lion's Arch to another zone along the shore (one players could walk or warp too) and along the way there could be a chance of a DE where the ship could be attacked by pirate raiders players on the ship would have to protect it while players on the shore would have to fire cannons at the invading ships. Or an Asuran blimp that cruses over different areas with a Fast travel point (why? because their Asura) that could offer support to those on the ground along with dynamic events of its own, I'm thinking dog fighting a dragon with the blimp's mounted laser cannons... Mif get your crack squad of eggheads on this right away :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post

    Play GW1 and stop crying about no mounts and the fast travel compared to flight paths.
    I'd love to see mounts like the Wurm in GW nightfall http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Junundu, Personally I loved unlocking the Wurm's elite skill had a nice bit of progression without making my warrior irreverent because I could only use it in specific area's They could be used in a special mini game where mounting one would change your skill bar, like the bar brawl one ArenaNet has mentioned or something.
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2011-12-28 at 11:47 AM.

  17. #57
    Dreadlord Cadfuert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In your Hard drive eating your files
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    Fast travelling ruins any game. Especially noticeable in games such as Fallout 3, I just find the world much more interesting if you actually have to travel around to get to places.
    Well you know, you could always not use it? I don't mean to come off like a douche but simplest way to be said. If you don't like it you don't need to use it especially if it ruins the game for you.

  18. #58
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I agree with everything else you said, but in Oblivion, you needed to discover the locations first as well.
    Oh I didn't realize that, it seemed that you had like every waypoint that was a town when I last played...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  19. #59
    Warchief Maarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Austria (EU)
    Posts
    2,003
    official statements:

    ...As an added bonus, we've also hidden hundreds of events all over the world that require interaction with the game world. This helps give an extra sense of reward and discovery for those who seek to explore the entire world. Finding an entrance to a secret cave deep at the bottom of the ocean and removing a glowing orb from the cave could let an evil creature loose from its ancient prison and kick off a chain of events as the creature terrorizes the ocean shipping lanes. Reading the spells written on an ancient wizard's spell book in a ruined castle at the top of the highest mountain peak could open a portal to another world and trigger a chain of events as creatures from that world come through the portal. GW2 is all about being a game for every type of gamer, and we're specifically using the event system to make this possible...
    ...Player exploration of Guild Wars 2 will be encouraged and rewarded, just as it was in the original Guild Wars. It’s up to the environment team to fill our game with memorable locations worthy of that exploration. A series of broken stone columns turns out to be a jumping puzzle to reach a hidden cave mouth overgrown with vines. The caved-in floor of a ruined fort drops you down several stories into a flooded subbasement haunted by the cursed ghosts of pirates. A hatch in the basement of a farmhouse conceals a tunnel to the cavern hideout of a bandit gang....
    both from the official blog

  20. #60
    Fast traveling is practically equivalent to exploration in this game. If you're just doing dynamic events you'll find content either way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •